Subject: Q-Cards Revised rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While putting together the documentation, I was made aware of another print and play game out there called "Decktet" which is set up for card publishing companys such as Arts Cow. Seeing how you can do so much with so little I decided to go back to the drawing board per se and make a few changes to Q-Cards. No, this doesn't mean I'm trying to make Q-Cards just like Decktet. I just think I need to revamp it a little and rethink the idea.

So, expect in the coming weeks to see a "revised" set of "Q-Cards". To let you know what to expect, I have decided to put some more details into the cards such as borders where there were once none. On the colored sections I am also going to have a suit specific pattern or texture. I also have decided to reduce what is considered a "Full Set". Still researching that one but I am thinking 8 suits. And last but certainly not least, I will be setting these up for use with Arts Cow.

Any other suggestions you would like to make for "Q-Cards" please let me know. Also if you would like to be a part of the playtesting or design process please let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One more thing... I have also been working on a game for "Q-Cards". For those that like the variety of dominion and the simplicity of UNO, you will like this game. As yet untitled, I am polishing up the last few loose ends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have removed the cards zip files because I will be replacing them soon with the proper updated files. Don't want you to waste ink on the "in-between" cards.

The red suit is now "Diamonds(a hollow square on its side). The look of the symbols on the slash and X have been revamped slightly. The eight suits as described before still stand. The grey, white, pink, and dark blue are being sent back to the drawing board as "optional" suits you can print once released and they will most likely have new symbols.

The sets to be released are as follows;

Core Set - This is to get you started. limited amount of games to play with these sets but still should be a good variety. Included with this set are;

Red - Diamonds
Light Blue - Crescent Moon
Yellow - Star
Green - Greek Cross
Black - X

Expansion Set One - These will be available to make what I consider a "Complete Set".

Orange - Circle
Purple - Mystic Waves
Brown - Slash

It will be some time before the Second expansion set will be available. I want to concentrate on these eight suits first.

Oh, and I couldn't find a texture I liked yet still so these cards will remain solid colors for now. If you have a suggestion please show me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So I haven't touched this project in awhile. I got frustrated with the project because of the quirkiness and limitations of the art program i was using. Every time I opened the files I created, the Text 'drifted' out of the alignment from where it was saved. Also on top of life issues I put this on the back burner.

Now I am re-visiting this idea and making it more practical. I also have explored a new art program that does just about everything MapX(aka Dewmap/Izandawo.) did for me, and much much more. I'm sure others have explored it as well but it's new to me. Inkscape is the program I'm referring to by the way.

I can say that these cards have already come in useful as a game design tool. I am working on another project to be available soon using the cards as substitute place holders for easy game design adjustments. I put the information about the card it is a proxy for on a seperate piece of paper and reference it via the card number/letter and symbol. that way I can make quick changes without "going back to the drawing board".

So I guess you could say I'm now working on two projects at once, yet one project is assisting in the creation of the other. So if you ever thought the card designs were nice for Q-Cards, look forward to a better quality design coming soon. Also, the next incarnation will be specifically designed to be used with Arts Cow. I will also be mindful of people who are color blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So it took me some time to track down the original font, as i couldn't remember what I used. That's done, and I already have a framework to work with. the borders are just slightly thinner, and I put a black symmetrical diamond in the center for aesthetics. I already finished the redesign of the Star Suit. instead of one big Geometrically correct star with a hollow center I used 3 assorted sizes of stars arranged at different angles. Now it looks more professional.

I'm re-evaluating the suits because I want them to be more cohesive and meaningful then ones I've chosen. I still like the Stars, and I think I'll keep the Light Blue Crescent Moons, but everything else is up for debate. I think I might go with Clovers for green instead of +'s which looks similar to Clubs but will be Green.

I'm also re-evaluating exactly what cards will be in each suit. currently I have numbers 0-10 A, K, Q, J, the rest of the alphabet, and 3 Asterisks. I want to make this Arts Cow friendly so I'm crunching some numbers(and letters ) to determine the best output.

If you are reading this(unlikely. lol) And you have an idea for a symbol you think should be part of the suits then please speak up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I now have 8 Suits and I am almost finished with the card revamp. Inkscape made this so much easier and it took about 1/10 of the time as with MapX. Never really realized how important the undo function is!

The New suits are as follows

Pink Diamonds
Red Hearts
Orange Suns
Yellow Stars

Green Clovers
Blue Moons
Purple Comets
Brown Spades

I separated the sets accordingly. If it's part of the Warm colors you will notice three assorted sized icons of the appropriate type, if it's part of the Cool colors, you will notice there is a single large icon of the appropriate type. I will be uploading updated card artwork for the community soon. I will also be compiling the artwork in Arts Cow form for your purchasing pleasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the "basic" part of all the sets. I changed the color of spades to black with a red trim for highlights but the rest have been done as promised.

You should be able to print the cards as is, since I uploaded the original files at 300dpi. I will be providing the Cards in a zipped format like before but for now I brought the originals down.

Consider the old cards a beta version and this would be the "1.0" version of Q-cards. I am still working on the complimentary cards to the system but not until after some extensive play testing.

I am very pleased with how the graphics turned out and I hope you are too. More to come soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I believe I have the exact Card Ratios that will be included in the decks. I have moved away from the alphabet as placeholders for different cards. Instead I will be including 3 each of 3 different "Symbol" cards that can be used in any game. for now I will just label them Exclamation Mark, Asterisk, and Question Mark. However, the exact symbol representations are the next thing I'm deciding on. Also, if you just want a fancy set of Regular Playing cards, all you have to do is buy the "Standard Deck".

The Classifications and Contents of each Deck are listed below;

***Standard Deck***
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A of Black Spades
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A of Green Clovers
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A of Red Hearts
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A of Pink Diamonds
One Joker Type A
One Joker Type B

***Stellar Deck***
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A of Yellow Stars
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A of Orange Suns
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A of Blue Moons
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J,Q,K,A of Purple Comets
One Joker Type C
One Joker Type D

***Standard Deck Expansion***
0,1,1,*,*,*,?,?,?,!,!,! - of Red Hearts
0,1,1,*,*,*,?,?,?,!,!,! - of Pink Diamonds
0,1,1,*,*,*,?,?,?,!,!,! - of Green Clovers
0,1,1,*,*,*,?,?,?,!,!,! - of Black Spades
Three Jokers Type A
Three Jokers Type B

***Stellar Deck Expansion***
0,1,1,*,*,*,?,?,?,!,!,! - of Yellow Stars
0,1,1,*,*,*,?,?,?,!,!,! - of Orange Suns
0,1,1,*,*,*,?,?,?,!,!,! - of Blue Moons
0,1,1,*,*,*,?,?,?,!,!,! - of Purple Comets
Three Jokers Type C
Three Jokers Type D

Each Deck or Expansion will be purchasable via Arts Cow. Arts Cow Charges $10.99 per deck.

A full set will be considered a Standard Deck, A Stellar Deck, a Standard Deck expansion, and a Stellar Deck Expansion. Total of 216 cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be uploading the remainder of the cards soon. Just working on the final touches of the Jokers Such as the symbol. I'm making it a jesters hat.

As for the Icons, the Asterisk, Exclamation and Question Mark grew on me. everyone knows them so using them in rules via word or symbol should be easy. while you can print them from the full size files i have thus far uploaded, I would suggest waiting until the Arts Cow compilation is ready and save yourself a lot of printer Ink, and trouble. After all Arts Cow puts out a very professional product.

If you would like any special cards or if your interested in a custom backed standard deck with other minor modifications possible for your company or group please private message me and I'm sure we can come to an agreement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so the files have been uploaded and now just waiting on approval from the board game geek gods. I think the Jesters hat came out very nicely on the Jokers. but I would like some opinions.

Now here's what I'm planning next for Q-Cards...

* Setting up cards for print via Arts Cow.

* Producing "Quick-Reference" cards for assorted games to use with Q-cards.

* Producing "Box Art" that you can use for card boxes and such. It would be available via printer with shipping labels.

* Making a few games specific to Q-cards with associated reference cards and instructions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished the "setting" of the "standard deck" on arts cow. I ordered a deck to see how well it's set, and once I review the quality of the output and all is well I will provide a link to purchase a copy of the Standard Deck.

And also if everything went smoothly I will finish the remaining three sets with the same settings as the first and provide those too. More details to come. Calling it a night for tonight though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'm still happy with the selection of cards for the sets, but I think I will make a change to certain cards. While I like how the symbol came out on the Joker cards, the rest of the card looks too busy for my taste and others I've asked the opinion of. So I will be redoing the Joker cards. Someone gave me an idea and I think it will look excellent with the new version of the Jokers. I should have them finished soon, by the end of the day.

Also, I thought up a way to play a clue like game, I was going to name Deduction, but that name seems to already be taken. more to come soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Although I thought I had finished it yesterday, I realized that both the old and the new Jokers did not account for color blindness. retouching the new version now with background black and white patterns for the color blind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why we do Research and Development. found a few issues...

Ok, still not completely happy with the Jokers... although I have put symbolism in the cards, I feel they have lost something. will revisit this soon. plus not sure if there really needs to be 4 types of jokers... was looking at them like a universal placeholder, but I already kind of have that with the other exclamation, question mark, and asterisk. more on that later.

Second, had a chance to play a game with both the red and orange cards... oops, when printed out and in your hand they are almost indistinguishable. So an updated version with a deeper red will be available soon. I might even revamp the shape of the hearts to be more in line with the symmetry of the spades. previously I made the spades after the hearts and learned a few tricks at that point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I changed the Red Hearts shape and I believe it looks a lot better. I also changed the shade of red and it looks nice onscreen, but so did the last red. I changed the color of the stroke on the grey border in the upper right and lower left corners to black instead of dark grey. looks cleaner. The border would make a change to all the pictures so I might end up uploading the modified pngs in groups.

I'm thinking of changing the shade of purple on the comet cards back to the eggplant color i had the previous one. Even though the symbol is 10 times better then the original I might still work on the comet symbol before final release.

The moon feels like it's missing something and I think I need to give it a silhouette of a face so it's slightly cartoony inline with the stars.

The pink diamonds still bother me, but then again I never really liked pink. I may just change them to white, with some of the things having a bright blue trim, think it might contrast to the black with red trim.

Those are the other changes that have been bothering me with the cards, but overall I'm really happy with the look of the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to use ArtsCow, you could implement an incremental system for publishing the decks. Here's one scheme:

Deck 1
4 suits x 13 ranks (2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 J Q K A)
2 jokers matching two colors

Deck 2
2 suits x 13 ranks (as above)
6 suits x 4 ranks (0 1 * ?)
4 jokers matching the other four colors

Deck 3
2 suits x 17 ranks (all the previous)
8 suits x 2 ranks (! &)
2 jokers matching the two new colors
2 extra cards for miscellaneous

People could buy just the first deck if they're curious, then expand it to the other decks later if they so chose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the advice K Septyn... This project is still in flux so I may very well do that. And in the original testing version of Q-Cards i did do something like that. The contents are continually changing, although I feel close to a final version.

Yesterday I made some drastic changes to both the feel and functionality of Q-Cards. Some of those changes can be seen in the new 1's of all Suits image, as well as the Final Card Back.

I have done countless crunching of numbers though and There will be no less then four decks considered a set of Q-Cards. With two of the decks having "A Typical Deck of Cards" with the only variation being specifically what Suits are included. That way if people want to buy a regular deck of cards with my artwork they can. Now if you know of a cheaper solution then Arts Cow, please let me know. However, the contents and how they are distributed on the third and fourth deck is the question.

I'm also looking into "The Game Crafter" but I don't know how much cheaper that will be and what the quality of the cards are yet. That would be a print all at once solution. And if i did this, we would not be specifically restricted to groups of 54 cards.

As for the changes i will slowly be uploading;
* There is now Purple Planets instead of Purple Comets... I also went with a deeper Purple.

* The Blue Moons now have a face

* Instead of Pink Diamonds, it's now White Diamonds

* The Red hearts now have a different shape, more curvy like the spade is. I also moved a shade deeper on the red to ease confusion with the orange.

I was talked into changing the symbols from Asterisk, Exclamation, and Question marks into symbols. here's the changes

* Included Bishops to indicate Clerics or Clergy. Represented by a Bishops hat.

* Included Wizards to indicate either wizards or magic. Represented by a pointy Wizards hat

* Included Swordsmen to indicate either Warriors, Swordsmen, or Combat. Represented by a sword and shield

* Included Rogues to indicate Stealing, Thief, or Rogue. Represented by a Dagger and Money Pouch

* Some cards with letters now have a dividing line beneath them and a number. Making these cards multifunctional yet still look good.

* I also worked on the card backs and produced a distinguished card back for these updated cards. I think it both fits with the style of the new cards and gives a classic 50's parlor feel.

The Jokers are going to be entirely redone as I'm not even remotely happy with what I have come up with so far. I have a few ideas but nothing more at this point. I did decide however there will only be two types of jokers instead of four.

More Information coming soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so I'm a perfectionist that heeds others opinions. This can be very frustrating but in the long run it can lead to great results.

I guess I'm not as finished with the basic card designs as I would like. The most recent person I showed the selection of cards to said that the colors on the red and purple cards look good now but the Saturn on the planet card doesn't quite look right. They also said that the diamonds shape is much better and the color scheme looks good, but the Diamonds themselves need definition instead of just being a silhouette. Looking at them now I tend to agree. The Saturn doesn't quite fit especially since the other cards have a cartoonish look but the Saturn is rather serious. so back to the drawing board on that one.

So All of the suits except the White Diamonds and Purple Planets are finalized.

The back of the card seems to be liked by all I've showed so far so those are finalized as well.

Now the contents of the suits themselves have been a bear deciding as well but I have decided to make some or all of the cards have dual purposes where you have one number/letter/symbol on the top and another smaller number/letter/symbol below a line separating the two. Some games will use the bottom and some will use the top. I may do the characters below a reverse color and/or shade to further distinguish them. This will make the cards more versatile as well as keep down the number of cards that make a set of Q-Cards.

I hesitate to put more images up until I have a clearer decision on what exactly will constitute a group within a suit. More to come...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Diamonds corrected.. look good. will be uploading them when I get the Purple Planets Corrected.

Decided to post the cards differently. it will end up in less uploaded images. Will have 1 card for all 8 suits like i did with the 1's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Saturn Corrected I believe. uploading new version with 1's

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hard Part over... now on to Logistics. working on which cards go in the Expansion decks now. Keeping in mind what K Septyn said, but between game crafters handling fee and Both GC and Arts Cows shipping fees.. it's cheaper for you to buy them all together at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright. I got quite a bit done since I last posted. I uploaded a new and well needed Logo for the Q-Cards featuring some of the graphics included in the set. I also revamped the Icons for Wizards, Warriors, Rogues and Clergy(specific names for flavors pending.) I also complete the joker cards shown as "Wild" and "Fool"(Finally happy with them).

Regardless of the flexibility of The Game Crafter's card amount variations, I'm still going to keep the decks at 216 cards. That way if these cards are noticed and someone contacts me about publishing them, they will be ready for press no matter where they are printed since some company's print in groups of 54. (54x4=216)

I am getting very close to a final set, as the majority of the graphics are completed. It has been a big learning process about art and Inkscape, but I've enjoyed every moment of it. Who knows, if there is demand enough for it, this might even lead to another expansion set(Perhaps Marksmen, Bards, Monks, and Barbarians... just a thought), but if it didn't I still would be perfectly happy with Q-Cards as is.

To let you know where the rest stands, I'm still debating putting numbers under the current icons as alternate cards for more games. plus in the expansion decks they currently have 12 cards per suit, and two Jokers each, but that leaves 1 card per suit currently unassigned. Going to do a little more R&D before i decide that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The final card has been chosen. Surprised I didn't see it before as it's something we all can't escape. Death! This will also be a 0 card.

I will also be uploading a slightly modified version of the wild cards. printed them out and the "teal" is too close to the blue for the fool cards. Also the symbol cards all have a seperate number under an underline now so those are different too.

Here is a breakdown of all Q-cards. Note that a full set is 1 of each Deck. However, they may just end up being sold as a complete set on say Game Crafters Site. But that is still to far away because I want to get more R&D in and also produce some specific games for Q-Cards.

I decided to change the name of Warriors to Knight. bringing it more in line with chess without changing the basis behind the card type.

***Standard Deck***
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J/11,Q/12,K/13,A/14 of Suits Black Spade, Green Clover, Red Hearts, and White Diamonds
One Joker Card
One Fool Card

***Stellar Deck***
2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,J/11,Q/12,K/13,A/14 of Suits Yellow Stars, Orange Suns, Blue Moon, and Purple Planet
One Joker Card
One Fool Card

***Standard Expansion Deck***
Death/0,Rogue/1,Knight/15,Wizard/16,Bishop/17,Rogue/18,Knight/19,Wizard/20,Bishop/21,Rogue/22,Knight/23,Wizard/24,Bishop/25 - of Suits Black Spade, Green Clover, Red Hearts, and White Diamonds
One Joker Card
One Fool Card

***Stellar Expansion Deck***
Death/0,Rogue/1,Knight/15,Wizard/16,Bishop/17,Rogue/18,Knight/19,Wizard/20,Bishop/21,Rogue/22,Knight/23,Wizard/24,Bishop/25 - of Suits Yellow Stars, Orange Suns, Blue Moon, and Purple Planet
One Joker Card
One Fool Card

-----
Still waiting on my cards from Arts Cow. although I made multiple updates to the cards from which they came since then. But to have a version in print that's not adhoc would be nice.

Now onto extensive playtesting and game design. More to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok... so I made some more changes... yep.. perfectionist... I know. The grey flaps in the upper right and lower left corners are no longer grey.. instead each suit has a pastel version of it's color there.The symbols have been changed as well, I used a light inset of the shape and color as well as a dark version of the color as trim to give each symbol a more 3D look. I also change the format of the icons and numbers in the upper left and lower right corner to make them more uniform and organized. currently the white, red, orange and yellow have black lettering and the other 4 have white lettering, but looking over it.. I might just change to white lettering for all.

The wild and fool cards didn't change except the slight tint change of the fool cards to distinguish them from blue and green. as soon as I decide on which way I'm going to go with the Text color and I put in some form of rights reserved or claim text I will upload some examples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Quentin S
United States
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to laugh at the amount of times I said these are the final cards. I'm sure if I said it one more time you would promptly respond with 'yeah right.'

So I'll just say the next new and improved version of Q-cards is finished and I'll be uploading some sample cards pictures soon for your review. This time I'm very proud of the outcome and feel that it's worthy of a product you would buy in a large chain store.

More and more I'm seriously thinking about putting these on The Game Crafter. It would cost less then Arts Cow and even then I would get a bit of profit off of all my hard work and still be cheaper for you.

More to come...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.