Dungeon Run» Forums » Variants

Subject: Expansion ideas... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, so its a bit early with only 4 games under my belt to be thinking expansions...

but hell, it was a slow day!

I imagine this game has been carefully tested, so adding things willy nilly might throw the balance somewhat, but with the right mix...

TILES:

Some L shaped tiles might be good to see - would they throw the tile laying system out I wonder, or add to things?

Also, what about some special tiles - say a "sanctuary" tile, where there are no monsters and you can heal yourself just once per game. This might add a bit to the game, especially if you end up leaving the sanctuary tile behind a bunch of escaped monsters and find yourself in need of it.

A classic would be the rotating room, cutting you off from the previous part of the dungeon unless you could thread your way back there.

I'm sure there are other special tiles that could go in there, good and bad!

TRAPS:

What about some door "traps" - They wont damage you, but you wont be able to enter that tile until you've picked the lock with a skill roll. Not too bad, until you are are trying to escape and find your way blocked!

MONSTERS:
How about some monsters with "special" effects? Say a hydra that regenerates wounds for every 1 it rolls on attack?

Or a vampire that transfers a wound from itself to the hero on rolls of 1?

Or a Medusa who reduces your attack rating for every 1 they roll in their attack?

TREASURE:

An orb that allows you to look at the whats going to be in the next room before you enter it? Or maybe just to look at the treasure before defeating monsters. Perhaps you need to make a successful magic test to use it, thus making it more useful for some than others.

A double handed axe that does a lot of extra damage, but means you cant use a shield?

A holy symbol for warding off undead (helps you escape)

Just a few idle thoughts really - I'm intrigued to know if there is any expansion activity underway!

Anyone else have any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Malechi
United States
Clearlake
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, there may be something in the werkz ...

devil

... Perhaps much larger than an extra card or tile here and there ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leigh, you actually listed a number of things we're adding. Clearly your head's in the right place.

I'm rather excited about the expansion being made available. It delivers a serious injection of flavor into the game. It doubles the size of the original, offers plenty of new choices, all while still remaining oh so petite. In a few days I'll post a list of the contents.

That said, there's no reason people shouldn't have a go at some custom creations. I'd love to see some uploaded here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leigh Shepherd
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thread almost stopped me as I waited for news of the Loot pile, but then i reckoned, let's throw some ideas out there!

Poison - a poison wound counts as one wound, but needs two wounds worth of healing to remove - so a goodly character could remove 1 after a battle, or a potion could do it (probably need to add some cure poison potions into the treasure!) or the wizard could if his spell pays off.

You'd need some (green) wound markers to show the difference, and it might make "poison needle" trap slightly 'wrong' in retrospect, but I reckon that'd be a good way to add a different type of damage to the heroes without too much fuss.

It would also allow the monsters a bit of character - You could have a monster scoring wounds on 5 or 6 with a 5 that hits being a normal wound and a 6 that hits being a poisoned one....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this poison idea a lot. Clever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.