Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to learn to play MtG through a program (solo). Anyone know where I could try it, for free if possible?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yuri Walkiw
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The way I learned how to play MtG was in the Duels of the Planeswalkers arcade game for Xbox 360. It is about $10, but I found that it was well worth it for the amount of gametime I got out of it. The tutorial is brief, but still very informative about different types of cards and game mechanics. One of the best features of the game is the built in glossary. You can highlight any card and with a press of a button see what all of the terms on it mean.

If you don't have a 360 or PS3, I think the best way to learn would be from someone else who already knows the game. There is also the offical "Magic: The Gathering Online" for PC, but I have not tried it. There is no version for my mac, and I'm not really interested in paying for virtual cards. I spend too much money on real cards anyway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a few videos here.

You can install Magic Online for free and play demo decks against other new players, with a guest account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc-Andre Blanchet
Canada
Sherbrooke
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also go to a Friday Night Magic at "Librairie Donjon". Most people there will be glad to show you how to play and maybe lend you a deck for the night. The "Magic guy" is very friendly with potential new players and will go throught a few games with you if there aren't too many customers.

It's located on 320 St Joseph E, in the same building as the "Bibliotheque Gabrielle Roy". (It's in the basement)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mabool wrote:
There are a few videos here.
As I understand it, these videos are for existing Magic players learning how the new rules affect the game. Check this page out if you're completely new to the game. It contains links to introductory YouTube videos, a tutorial game, and the basic rulebook (may be slightly out of date due to the 2010 rules changes). If you're not one for reading rulebooks, the videos and the game are more than enough to give you a good feel for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
I would like to learn to play MtG through a program (solo). Anyone know where I could try it, for free if possible?

Wizards of the Coast offers a downloadable interactive tutorial that is really useful. It doesn't have AI, as such, but it does run you through a sample game or two to teach you the basics.

There's a program called MTG Forge that also allows solo play against a computer AI. The interface is not particularly pretty, but I think it enforces all of the rules and allows you to construct decks and so on.

Note that I'm new to MTG myself, so I can't vouch that any of these programs actually make you a good player!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have an Xbox 360, you can download the demo for Duels of the Planeswalkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
If you have an Xbox 360, you can download the demo for Duels of the Planeswalkers.

For a new player, this is byfar the best way to learn. Magic Online is pretty limited in what you can do for "free" and then once you buy in, it's pretty much money wasted if you don't like it. At least DOTP is something that plays well as a game without ever having to buy more product and if you dislike it it's not as big of a loss financially. I do know they will be releasing it on PC here soon as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
celiborn wrote:

There's a program called MTG Forge that also allows solo play against a computer AI. The interface is not particularly pretty, but I think it enforces all of the rules and allows you to construct decks and so on.

Forge is nice (and free) but it contains many cards that are not implemented properly and it does not use the latest rules.

It will not make you a good player. In fact, it will likely teach you some very bad habits. I win a lot of games simply by exploiting flaws in the AI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwiles wrote:
Forge is nice (and free) but it contains many cards that are not implemented properly and it does not use the latest rules.

It will not make you a good player. In fact, it will likely teach you some very bad habits. I win a lot of games simply by exploiting flaws in the AI.

Hm, good to know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Wolf
msg tools
Well, I'd recommend YouTube or Sixty Cards. I found a pretty good article on how to build your first deck and get started in magic the gathering there.

http://sixtycards.com/616 - Learn to Play Magic the Gathering

http://sixtycards.com/1301 - Learn to build a magic the gathering deck

Good luck mate and welcome to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.