Hide
23 Posts

Dungeon Lords» Forums » Variants

Subject: 9 New Monsters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wodan wodan
msg tools
Here’s an new set of monsters, which can either mix or replace starting monsters. Note that Paladins are NOT counted as Adventurers for the purposes of Necromancer and Assassin

Damage types
Basic=to front target
Any=to any target
All=to all targets
Trample=to front target, but excess carries over

Round 1 Monsters
Kobold(Cost=1 Food)(Attack=Deal 2 Damage, or deal damage to a target equal to damage Trap would deal to the target)

Imp Mob(Cost=1 Imp)(Attack=0, use up to X imps to deal X trample damage)

Orc(Cost=1 Food, 1 Evil)(Attack=4 Basic damage or spend 1 Food to deal 2 Basic damage AND skip conquer/fatigue)

Skeleton(Cost=1 Evil)(Attack=1 Basic damage{reuse}, doesn't count as a Monster)

Necromancer(Cost=2 Evil)(Attack=2 Any damage, then 2 Basic damage for each adventurer captured so far)

Insect Swarm(Cost=2 Food)(Attack=1 All damage in a Corridor, 2 All damage in a Room. If in a Room, the Insect Swarm counts as 2 monsters)

Round 2 Monsters
Warlock(Cost=1 Food, 2 Evil, 1 Room)(Attack=5 All damage, characters reduce damage based on number of icons)

Assassin(Cost=2 Money, 2 Evil)(Attack=Remove any adventurer from play, or capture any adventurer for 2 Money)

Minotaur(Cost=2 Food, 1 Corridor)(Attack=4 Trample damage, 6 Trample damage in a used Corridor)

NOTE:
1. Imps that are used during the 4th and 8th turns CAN'T be used by Imp Mob during the following Adventurer battle.
2. Skeleton is like Ghost.
3. Paladin does not count as an adventurer for Necromancer and Assassin powers.
4. If you don't pay the Assassin's fee, the adventurer is removed, but you aren't getting the VPs.
5. Put damage cubes on Corridors to pay Minotaur's cost, and activatable Rooms to pay the the Warlock's cost. Damaged Corridors may not be used for Mining/Rooms. Rooms may be used once less per Damage cube.

Changes:
Kobold now deals damage equal to un-reduced Trap damage to a target, or a flat 2 damage
Orc now requires payment for alternate attack
Skeleton's alternate attack removed
Warlock reduced by everything, not just Wizards, and gets reduced twice by Priests effectively (Damage=4 per Fighter, 2.5 per Wizard/Rogue, 0 per Priest, and -3 for Paladin, Dragon deals 2 to all), it also decreases usability of activatable rooms as part of its cost.
Minotaur deals less damage, and deals better damage in the Corridors it inhabits.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a lot of the ideas you have here, but the costs on several of them seem a bit low compared to what's already in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Which ones?

I suspect the Assassin and Warlock. I upped their costs a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, several of them seem a little overpowered, regardless of the cost. Especially the year two monsters:

Assassin: Killing one non-Paladin adventurer with no chance for damage reduction is HUGE. If anything, I'd bump the cost up even further, to 2 gold and 2 evil.

Warlock: Attack all for 4 does twice as much damage as the Dragon, and for less cost. The spellpower damage reduction wouldn't be much of a drawback in most games.

Minotaur: Interesting idea, but the cost is far too low. He's a Horned Demon with carryover damage -- this should be a massive sacrifice to use (much more than simply not being able to mine a tunnel).

Again, I really like a lot of your ideas, but they might need a bit of playtesting and balancing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
WhiteHowler wrote:
Assassin: Killing one non-Paladin adventurer with no chance for damage reduction is HUGE. If anything, I'd bump the cost up even further, to 2 gold and 2 evil.

Do realize that you get no VPs for the kill. I view that as part of "price" so to speak. I do have him at 2 Gold/Evil now.

WhiteHowler wrote:
Warlock: Attack all for 4 does twice as much damage as the Dragon, and for less cost. The spellpower damage reduction wouldn't be much of a drawback in most games.

Warlock is reduced by both Priests and Wizards
Dragon is reduced by neither.
If a Paladin shows, Warlock at best breaks even with Dragon.

WhiteHowler wrote:
Minotaur: Interesting idea, but the cost is far too low. He's a Horned Demon with carryover damage -- this should be a massive sacrifice to use (much more than simply not being able to mine a tunnel).

Demon targets any character, AND skips conquer/fatigue, both of which are tremendous advantages, especially if you get stuck with a Paladin or 8 HP Fighter in front. I originally had Minotaur at 6, but thought that was too weak.

As for the first era monsters, I made sure that they all had their weakpoints.

1. Kobold does less damage than even the Goblin (who is unusually weak), and is reliant on Traps to make up the difference.
2. Imp-Mob is somewhat expensive to power, as it requires you to sacrifice some Imps and leave others unused, though it can reach very high levels of power.
3. Orc has the same primary as the Banshee, and while its secondary is nice, unlike other skip conquer/fatigue step actions, it does damage that will trigger healing, whereas Goo is meant to delay, and Traps don't cause anything at all.
4. Skeleton is like Ghost in that it gives no credit for titles, but it trades targeting for the ability to attack up front. It might be on the strong side, and I'm considering just the 1 damage reusable attack.
5. Necromancer is dependent on dead adventurers being present, which means he's pretty useless during the first round of combat, and this is despite costing the same as the multi-attacking free ranging powerhouse of the Vampire.
6. Insect Swarm might do the best damage, but it is unable to kill things without assistance, and its not exactly cheap to pay, especially since the Troll counts as an Imp on top of its regular combat abilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like all of these ideas. I think new monsters would be the best and coolest way to expand this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kefauver
United States
Saint Charles
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I actually think the Kobold is a bit overpowered. Same cost as a goblin, and either does extra damage or cancels all rogues for a turn? Yes please! With a Kobold and Poisoned meal, you can do 2 damage to the guy in front and KO the most powerful guy in the other party (or their rogue(s) to make further traps even more powerful). Add a kobold to a labyrinth second year, and that's 2 unblockable traps second year, and one first year for a total of 3 food (assuming you grab him before the first payday), and if you can't get traps, he's great demon chow.

The orc, too, I think needs to be nerfed a bit. He's a witch that, instead of doing 2 targetable damage, can do 2 normal damage and stop conquering. I think stopping conquering is far more powerful than the ability to target the damage in most cases

The skelly and the imp mob I love, the imp mob for the humor that fits the game so well (I can see the art on it now... Though I think it'd make a better trap than monster, because why would you have to hire your own imps from the tavern to bum-rush through the halls?)

I also agree that the minotaur and the assasin are a bit OP. 4 gold to kill the paladin in one hit is very, very nice, and just wiping him for 2 gold and not taking him can keep someone else from getting the points.
Likewise, the minotaur's trample is very strong. While the Demon stops conquering, he's still best used first or second turn to wipe out a full-health party member and keep them at the entrance or in a nasty room (Labyrinth anyone?). The minotaur, for the cost of a tunnel (which, let's face it, isn't all that huge of a loss because they take only an action to get multiple of and have no other cost, and you can easilly have some left over if you want. Heck, it sounds like they even still count for scoring!) and a troll does 3 more damage than that troll, and it tramples, so that, coupled with a trap, can wipe 2 party members from the face of the planet with relative ease, especially if they don't have the paladin or a warrior.

Also, a question on the necromancer, is the 2 damage per captured guy one hit (6 damage if you have 3 guys?) or multiple? (2 damage, 2 damage, 2 damage)? Because if it's the latter, I think he might be a bit too strong as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Onstad
United States
Donald
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could make it so the Minotaur can only fight in his dedicated Corridor(s). That would at least require the dungeon lord to think about where to place the Corridor(s) in anticipation of when he will want the Minotaur to fight. And, it would be a little bit thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Wilson
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wodan46 wrote:

Do realize that you get no VPs for the kill. I view that as part of "price" so to speak. I do have him at 2 Gold/Evil now.

The ability to simply take out any adventurer could easily save you a corridor (maybe more), which would offset the lack of VP for the assassinated adventurer. However, at 2 gold/2 evil, he's very pricey (especially if you grab him before payday AND taxes), so I think it could work.

WhiteHowler wrote:

Warlock is reduced by both Priests and Wizards
Dragon is reduced by neither.
If a Paladin shows, Warlock at best breaks even with Dragon.

It seems a bit too dependent on the adventurers you get. I've been in several games where a player had nothing but warriors and/or thieves, where this guy would do a total of 12 damage. Far more than any other monster.

Maybe make it four damage to all, minus each character's number of icons? It would make him very powerful against one-icon warriors (who aren't well-versed in avoiding magic damage), but not so much against thieves (think D&D, where thieves learn to take less damage from area-effect spells).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wodan wodan
msg tools
Rebalanced various things.

With regards to Kobold, if used in conjunction with say, Fire Wall, he can choose to either deal 2 damage to the back guy, or 1 damage to any other guy, and this damage is NOT reduced by Rogues. However, it will trigger healing, unlike when Traps are used alone. So in many cases, you are just exchanging Rogue damage reduction for Priest damage reduction. However, that doesn't matter too much if you flatten the target first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've created some blank cards and other assets, that would allow players to create custom monsters... waiting for permission from publisher, before I will post them.

Put a sneak peak (just cobbled something together in a hurry!)

The "food" asset is not completed, and the ghost picture is just something I found online. But you get the gist:

EDIT: Z-man says it's okay, so I'm waiting for the Czech Games Edition's okay as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So...I've yet to hear from Czech Games Edition...I'll try and write them again, and if they don't answer, I'll just forget this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Petr Murmak
Czech Republic
Kladno
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
Codenames ;)
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter, I'm sorry, I must somehow missed your question. So from CGE point of view it's OK.

Personally I'm eager to see what ideas you have
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's okay - used the form on your website, maybe something went wrong on my end. :-)

I will then continue on the assets for all to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emivaldo Sousa
Brazil
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kreten wrote:
Peter, I'm sorry, I must somehow missed your question. So from CGE point of view it's OK.

Personally I'm eager to see what ideas you have

Great attitude!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. M. G.
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been thinking on a moster that uses fatigue as an 'incremental attack'. What I came up with so far is:

Mummy
Cost - 1 gold, 1 evil
Can't attack priests.
Basic attack for 1. Curses the first adventurer in line.

(put a food cube on the adventurer that was hit but the mummy - that is the "mummy curse").

Cursed adventureres do not heal during the healing step (the party does not skip the healing step, they just heal as if that adventurer had no damage). Additionally, for every point of damage from fatigue that a cursed adventurer suffers, he suffers an extra point of damage (remembering that fatigue damage is dealt one-by-one).

Remove all curses at the end of the battle round (after conquest).

edit: I have no idea why I invented this, it just seemed to fit the theme and an interesting mechanic. I don't think I'll ever need more monsters than the original ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konata
United States
Highlands Ranch
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like this idea a lot, and I would definitely pay for an expansion that includes many new monsters like this. Are you listening Vlaada??? devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. M. G.
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you meant the mummy, I'm happy you think so.
I'll give it a try one of these days.

I miss a lot of the classic dungeon dwelver's opponents as monsters in Dungeon Lords - my need for them, if any, is purely thematic.

I want a dungeon with a Beholder!
(Beholders should cost evil and food, do damage to all adventurers - much like the dragon - and prevent slow spells during that round (they have an anti-magic field vision, you know)).

I want a dungeon with a Doppleganger!
(Which should cost food and gold and have an attack based on the first adventurer in line - normal attack for 3 if warrior ("Ouch, why'd you hit me?!"), normal attack for 5 if paladin ("Wait, aren't you supposed to be with the good guys?"), 3 to any if wizard ("Why are you pointing those fingers at me?"), 4 to the last if thief ("Backstab!") and prevent healing only ("Sorry guys, no healing this time, my lawyer is reviewing my contract") if cleric. The doppelganger shouldn't "occupy space", much like the ghost, but it's still a monster.)

I want a dungeon with Giant Spiders!
(which should cost food only and have a basic attack of 1, but prevent conquering (from all those webbs, you know!) after fadigue damage is dealt!)

I want a dungeon with a Gelatinous Cube!
(costing food only, cannot attack thieves, having an attack of 2 to the first adventurer, but 6 if he is alone(getting out of those cubes alone is a problem)!

These are just from the top off my head, and I really see no strategical need for any of them... but the theme is so fun and so much can be done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are many more events and combat cards than places for them to appear. No reason why monsters and rooms couldn't be varied as well. Just because it's in the deck doesn't mean it HAS to come out THIS game.
Keeps replayability high.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V. M. G.
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the replayability, but in the case of having more monsters, I think it would be beneficial to the game if players knew beforehand which monsters might appear and which might not.

Now that we have a few games under our belts, we pretty much plan our dungeons in advance to the monsters we want to get - planning for a demon and no demon showing up would totally ruin the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brichs wrote:
It's okay - used the form on your website, maybe something went wrong on my end. :-)

Are there some Photo shop templates either created here or on another thread to create some custom made monsters?

I was thinking on delving a bit on this, traps heroes, and such. Would be awesome and fun to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Butler
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
morgothrond wrote:
Brichs wrote:

Are there some Photo shop templates either created here or on another thread to create some custom made monsters?

I was thinking on delving a bit on this, traps heroes, and such. Would be awesome and fun to do.

I too would really like to have a go at making some custom cards (based on Dungeon Keeper beasties).

Although, I must say, some nice ideas in the OP - especially the Imp Swarm! I'd probably have it cost a littlemore, come with three, and have them serve as standard imps, with the option to team up and take on invaders!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like a lot the OP's ideas. I haven't read the rest of the topic so I don't know if there other good ideas as well.

My only issue with changing monsters would be the 2nd year rooms' balance.
If you replace monsters and/or add new ones, it will disturb the efficiency of certain rooms like "get 2 point for each ghost/vampire" or "sorceress and vampire gets +1 attack", etc.
Or you would have to modify these room tiles as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.