George Husted
United States
East Hartford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
If you order VIKTORY II, and for any reason are unsatisfied or feel that the game does not meet your expectations, then you can return the game within 30 days in like-new condition for a full refund minus shipping and handling.

http://www.viktorygame.com/index.htm#order

I have been thinking about buying this game. What sort of trade are you looking for, assuming you don't want to send it back to the publisher?

I might be interested in a trade. BTW, I live in central CT, only a few hours from you, so we don't even need to do shipping if you don't want to...if we have a game exchange.

You can look at my profile to see my current game collection. I most likely will not trade my Pirates/Risk/or Valley of the Pharaohs. I do have a copy of Attack I would be willing to trade. The box is opened and the army figures are cut out, but everything else is pristine...still in cellophane...un-played. I bought it to use the army pieces as replacements for the arrows in the new Risk game.

Let me know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the original 6-player edition...and the massiveness of the game I could make with two sets calls to me.

I'll trade...view my trade list and make an offer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Viktory II isn't an economic game and never has pretended to be. You might want to play Wealth of Nations instead if you are looking for that.

I'm just curious where you got the impression that it would have an economic system that would impress you. It is a fast paced world conquest game with a dynamic map that encourages people to be on the offensive and discourages turtling. It would be much like me expecting Agricola to have an awe inspiring large scale skirmish system hidden inside.

The good things are that you will likely have little problems trading it with someone and that at least it played fast so that you didn't have to invest a huge amount of time in a game that you didn't like. I've played games that have held me in a state of agony for hours, knowing I had no chance of winning but giving me no chance of being eliminated to save me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Terhune
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
This is a blatant example of frivolous geek gold spending.
badge
I spent 100 geek gold and all I got was this lousy overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd be happy to trade as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Van Morrison and Joey DeFrancesco - You're Driving Me Crazy
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DscGlfr wrote:
I didn't think it was an economic wargame. If I wanted an economic wargame, I'd play Imperial. The economic system in Viktory II is the City/Town rules in the game. I disliked the fact units never died once introduced into the game, but only switched allegiances upon capture of a City/Town. I understand the game was designed to encourage attacking, but it just became a game of rolling dice until one side was unlucky and unable to recapture a City/Town.

I understand what you're saying, and had precisely the same reaction. Traded mine, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelus Seniores
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I dont feel underwhelmed by the game.
It was always clear to me what to expect of it; a fast-paced conquest game, using simple but elegant mechanics

Units DO die in this game; just like in any conquest game, you get reinforcements to replace your losses and only because it is designed to be fast-paced do you get your reinforcements on a 1 for 1 basis, but even then, because of the limit of 2 units per city, you still get a feel of a supply line and a loss of time between the moment you lose your frontline unit, that unit being replaced in a backyard city and taking some time to reach the front again.
and you can only replace in your turn, so if a 2nd or 3rd player chooses toattack you as well, your units havent been replaced yet.

I dont feel combat is lame, combined arms is an important element in warfare which is why you must maximize unit combinations.
as said before, the chance of you having 20 infantry in a single battle are rather slim/impossible if you play right.
even if in such an infantry-only situation, you should only send infantry in small fights, ie send only 1 instead of all 20; you get 1 die for one possible loss, while they get 4 die for still only 1 possible loss, which partially evens the odds
of course, battles will need to be spread out over many turns as you can only attack a hex once each turn but you can attack several hexes and in defense, spread your infantry in intervening hexes will force the enemy to attack the one infantry but facing 1-3 dice due to defensive terrain, giving you time to bring other unit types for then follow-up combined arms fights.
its all really tactical/operational warfare and actually very interesting as you have many options/choices to go for.

The game plays in 'waves'; you amass the right combination of troops, launch an attack but lose units in the process, then you must first amass your troops again before you can attack again.
it reflects the oprational attacks that you see in any conflict, the attack uses up your troops and at a moment you are forced to stop attacking to get your troops back into shape and in that timelapse you are vulnerable to counter-attacks.
knowing/choosing when to attack or not is crucial and at some points, you need to do a delayed defense trading hexes for time to gather fresh troops. its not a straightforward dicefest as some may think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.