Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
In your particular world of hobbies, how dominant is board gaming?
What hobby? Board gaming is my life and I don't have time for anything else!
Board gaming is my dominant hobby, but I've been known to collect a stamp or watch a bird here and there.
Boardgaming is just one of many hobbies that all share equal time.
I enjoy boardgaming, but prefer some of my other hobbies more frequently.
My geeky friends make me play boardgames.
      284 answers
Poll created by chadmart

I've had many hobbies in my life. At certain times, certain hobbies rear up and take the wheel for a while, delegating other hobbies to the back seat... but few ever get kicked off the bus completely... in fact I have hobbies that I would love to get back into if not for lack of time and/or money.

My current dominant hobbies include boardgaming (of course) and geocaching. I also love music and movies, and have decent collections of both. I read from time to time and have many books waiting to be read most of the time. Video games sneak in there (I have a Wii and a PS3). One of the ones I miss sometimes is racing off-road RC trucks. My dad and I used to go every friday night to race at the local track.I used to play paintball (though only a few times) and still have all my equipment out in the garage... that might hit ebay as my energy level/fitness aren't the best right now. I also used to collect Star Wars toys and Hot Wheels.

I would say that gaming is the one hobby that has stood the test of time though. I have been playing games in one form or another for many, many years... all stemming from that first pack of Revised Magic: The Gathering cards. That was the first time I had been exposed to a "collectible" random type game, and it instilled in me the "collector's" mentality. Before that I couldn't really say that I had any "hobbies". Magic went away for me for a while, but it's slowly seeping back into my time... not in the way it used to, just for fun.

Anyway, I was just curious about people and their hobbies, and if other things take up as much time as board games, or not nearly as much as board games... So, please answer the poll and then perhaps post with some of your other hobbies!

Forgot to say that I also used to play RPGs back in the day... way before Magic: The Gathering. D&D and Hero's Unlimited mostly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gibbs
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been gaming all my life -- though not always, or entirely, board games. I've played serious amounts of RPGs, played Go and Bridge competitively, as well as various other games.

About my only other life-long hobby would be skiing -- downhill and cross-country at various times over my life.

Other long-term hobbies include motorcycling (almost 25 years now) and going to SF conventions (about the same). Also, I've enjoyed dancing for, again, 25+ years.

Shorter-term would be rock climbing, ballroom dancing, and sharing fine Port with friends.

In terms of time, I probably spend more time nowadays with rock climbing and ballroom dancing than I do gaming -- though it is a bit hard to measure. Motorcycling is somewhat seasonal, due to living in a northern clime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bret Clifton
United States
Newman Lake
Washington
flag msg tools
Stave it off, 1 2 3, now you can count to three!
badge
Do I know what rhetorical means?
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgaming seems to be my dominant hobby of late but my number one is reading books, followed by singing (in harmony) and THEN board games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am the greatest karaoke singer who has ever lived. Is that a hobby?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hanratty
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaming comes second only to drinking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been gaming, writing/playing music, reading books, playing soccer, and watching movies pretty much my whole life so each hobby enjoys nearly equal time. I go through stages where one will dominate more than the others for periods of time. However, I would say that gaming and more specifically board games have maintained a consistency that the others have never quite achieved.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser Grant
Scotland
Windsor
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My job is my main hobby but as I get paid to do that it doesn't count.
I ride coasters and play boardgames in equal measures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gudjon Torfi Sigurdsson
Iceland
Isafjordur
Isafjardarbaer
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have to ask, you don't know the answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Squires
United States
Woodland Hills
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
I love board games. I love collecting them, designing them, playing them, building them, modifying them, etc.

That said, I would personally feel empty if it was all I had. Between video games, programming, wood work, reading, learning, cooking with my wife... the world is too big and amazing to miss out on so much.

This might also be why I find myself growing an aversion to games longer than 90 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That last post reminded me that I also enjoy cooking and photography.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Like volte, I am drawn to shorter games due to the many things competing for my time.
Boardgaming is a hobby I got into while cutting back on wargaming and miniatures gaming, as I just didn't have the time to spend on those, and needed a way to scratch my gaming itch.

I also have other hobbies and interests, including reading, films, recreational shooting, gardening, cooking, and trying to have a social life (i.e. time with friends and family, and attempts at dating). There's also grad school and work (teaching). This make me really enjoy 30-90 minute games that don't require a full-time rules coach.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
whistler
United States
West Virginia
flag msg tools
Knob Creek Manhattan
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boardgames
Backpacking
Trout Fishing
Road Cycling
Woodcarving
Whistling
Books, Movies, Music
Playing Music
Cooking
Juggling
Raquetball
Disc Golf
WVU sports
Pittsburgh sports
Cycling: Grand Tours

Does snow shoveling count? I've been doing 1-2 hours of that every day at 5 a.m. for what seems like FOREVER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think Boardgaming would be my hobby If I could manage to play it more often, but until that happens it remains on my "to-do list" but not is not a dominant aspect in my life. I cannot find players who are willing to commit to a regular meeting so I do not play as many games as I would like to. Hence, I spend more time reading, with movies or in museums.

So, not THE hobby, sadly

HX

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Russell
United States
Milford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love Boardgaming. Always have. But

I do theatre, both on and off stage
I love to cook
I love to boat
I love to sing
I love to remodel my house

Damn that work schedule!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. S. Higgins
United States
Turlock
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to go through what my wife calls Manias. I find a hobby, get very interested in it, spend a bunch of time on it, and then put it away for a year while I find something new to do. It's hobby ADD.

Board gaming has endured pretty well, so we'll see how it goes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, board gaming isn't a hobby; it's more like an obsession.

I think about games almost as much as I think about sex--and they say guys have sexual thoughts ten times a minute or something like that. Somewhere along the line, games really became important to me. Especially when I'm bored or stressed, my thoughts turn to games.

Yet, I don't play 'em very often, unless you count solitaire and computer games. I read and write about games; buy, sell, and trade games; set up and learn to play games . . . but I hardly ever get around to sitting down with somebody and playing a game. When I do, it can be anticlimactic--not as wonderful as I expected it to be.

In spite of that, my feeling is always, So many games, so little time. I have more games in my closet than I'll get around to even opening and learning, much less playing--and I keep buying more. I have to rein myself in (and yet, even as I write this, I'm about to go place an order for an expansion to a game I've been buying all the expansions for).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Caldwell
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
My geeky friends make me play board games. They also set me up an account so I could answer this question.

No offense meant. I love board games more than sight. Why else would I spend hours staring into the computer?

edit:added the smiley to make it clear that the first sentence was sarcastic and not the second sentence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy boardgames, especially with the right people...But I play videogames more, have a decent movie collection and would pretty much always choose to play football (soccer), or cricket, or basketball or badminton over boardgames.
Boardgames are just a part of what makes me me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cferejohn wrote:
I am the greatest karaoke singer who has ever lived. Is that a hobby?

No, that's a delusion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buceph Haelez
Ireland
Cork
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me boardgaming is just a smaller part of the bigger hobby of gaming. I got into RPGs when I was about 15 because a neighbour had them, and from their I just geeked it up. Sparsely playing for a few years until I got to University, where I joined the gaming society, played loads of boardgames, wargames, miniature games, card games, and roleplaying games. I'm quite happy to partake in any part of the gaming hobby, so I don't single out boardgames.

I'd imagine that the whole geek gamut of activities is something a lot of people subscribe to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I spend much less time gaming than I do participating in any of my other primary hobbies.

I spend much more time reading about and discussing gaming than I do for all of my other primary hobbies combined.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
While board gaming is a hobby of mine it is simply one of the options that comes up when enough people are around and done with whatever we were doing before that.

The times when it is possible to get enough people at a table to play board games at a specific time and plan this beforehand are over (for us). And since playing solo is like ... well... stupid (in my opinion), it just seems to be a (fun) random thing to do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Robert
Belgium
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm convinced that if one day I'd win the lottery and not have to work for another minute in my entire life, I would not have a hard time finding things to do. I like :

- board games
- reading
- video games
- tango
- running
- snooker

and, at some point, would like to try my hand at:

- piano
- tennis
- a martial art
- jembe

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordy Crozier
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its one of many. I also collect comics, love films (occasionally attempt to write one), read a fair bit, play football (soccer to those of an American persuasion), i'm a general sci-fi fan with a large tilt towards Doctor Who and play a fair bit of Xbox

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with David Gibbs. I've played board games all my life.

My dad's a retired professor of math so there were puzzles and board games around (lucky me) growing up and games of all types were encouraged. That said, I've RPGed a lot in my younger days, and still buy cool indie RPGs to read (Wushu, Mouseguard, Mortal Coil, Dogs in the Vineyard et al), though never get played.

Other hobbies I can make lots of time for include: books and reading, art, collecting/selling Roman coins, letterpress typography, golf, tennis, skating, and even my full-time work as a designer of twenty years ... I still do freelance stuff I consider a hobby. I'm also jumping feet first into miniatures wargaming (tactical WW2 stuff in 28mm using NUTS! Second Edition for man-to-man and Troops, Weapons & Tactics for platoon level).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.