Doom: The Boardgame» Forums » General

Subject: Help me a little! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fear the Booboo
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi,

I wanted to find a game like Descent, but shorter. People pointed me to Doom so I'm here.

I've read some reviews but none answered what all my questions. So I'm sorry if this has been asked before, you can still show me a in-depth review or another forum that would answer my question.

So, I wanted to know:

-If there is campaign play, or persistent character (expension or not, I'm less inclined for house rule right now).

-Is there any solo play or is it always vs. an overlord?

-Also, are the "dungeon" randomized or planned out in the chosen scenario?

-Does the game is fun (it sures does look like it is!).

Any more info would be welcome. It would also help if the rules are avalaible online (I did not find them).

Thanks a lot!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fear the Booboo wrote:
-If there is campaign play, or persistent character (expension or not, I'm less inclined for house rule right now).

There is campaign play. I've never tried it, though other people on the forum have. The rules for campaign play are in the Doom scenario book, which is no longer available online.

Fear the Booboo wrote:
-Is there any solo play or is it always vs. an overlord?

I think people have come up with rules for solo play, but it is fundamentally an everyone vs. the overlord type of game.

Fear the Booboo wrote:
-Also, are the "dungeon" randomized or planned out in the chosen scenario?

The dungeons are all planned out in the scenarios. Somebody here has come up with a random dungeon game (called RanDOOM, I believe), but it's not official.

Fear the Booboo wrote:
-Does the game is fun (it sures does look like it is!).

The game is dripping with theme, and its components are awesome. The rules can be a little clunky, but I enjoy it!

Fear the Booboo wrote:
Any more info would be welcome. It would also help if the rules are avalaible online (I did not find them).

The rules are available here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
武士に二言無し
Italy
Caravaggio near Bergamo near Milano
Europe + Earth + Via Lactea
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,

1) No there is not a campaing, all adventures are related in logical sequence from first to last (you can play them individually too).
The marines enhance their capacity from scenario one to scenario two and so on (armour, lifes, ammunition)

2)I think you should play with another player minimum (Marines vs Master), solo playing is ... illogical with this game.

3)See 1)

4)I recently played with my son and two friends and we had a lot of laughs as well as biting our nails for the tension ... it is a game not simple, not banal and a little brain-overload.

Rules in http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp?eidm...

Bye

Filippo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, there is campaign play, and YES IT IS BRUTAL! I don't think anyone's actually ever made it out alive from the entire campaign. Basically you go through the scenarios in order, and whatever you end the last scenario with...well that's what you begin the next one with. Can give you some outstanding armor and weapons...but at the same time...eventually you wear down and ammo get's really scarce at times.

2) Official rules always has it as one person being the overlord. Haven't tried it any other way, but I hear that someone made some solo rules.

3) The dungeons are planned out scenarios. If you aren't playing the campaign, you can choose any scenario you want. You get double the scenarios if you pick up the expansion pack too.

4) I think the game is terrific. Some think it goes on just a wee bit too long per session (similar complaints about it's younger sibling Descent, but they came up with a solution to the session length in one of the expansions) and get's dragging about 3/4 of the way through. Overall I think it's great fun, but fun is in the eye of the beholder. I think there are some that would absolutely hate the game, as having your marines die is actually part of the strategy and gaminess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fear the Booboo
Canada
flag msg tools
Lots of good info! You made me interested! Thanks.

Just to be sure: there's no campaign, but you keep the same characters from one scenario to the next.

If you could give me a quick overview of character progression (Is it xp, weapons, both or something different entirely) it would be much appreciated. I'll be sure to read the rules though, so don't bother too much if you don't have time.

Also, someone talked about a solution about long game (for Descent or Doom, I'm not sure I did understant very well), what it's like?

Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Firewind
msg tools
Weapons (as long as you didn't break it), exp is in the form of kill points for killing the monsters, though you don't "Level up" but rather have a list of things to spend your points on, such as healing before the next scenario or boosting base stats. There is indeed a real and flexable campaign coming, though it is unofficial as it is a player making it with the help of us all here in the forums giving ideas for him to compile. It's in the works, just look for Advanced Campaign in the forums. Also, if you go through DOOM, the expansion, and still want more, there are unofficial scenarios in the file section for stand alone and as a continuation of the storyline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As Fire said there's a lot of really good scenarios. One of the things I want to do is collect all the good fan scenarios and create a PDF/booklet of them in one place.

And as Fire said, we're working on an Advanced Campaign, using Descent's Road To Legend expansion as a model (i.e. an overland map that the squad moves between missions, random levels, all leading up to a climactic end battle). Most of the threads are in the Variants forum and are prefixed "Advanced Campaign". I have the rule book 1st draft completed and am now working on a bunch of scenario levels. Will still proably take a couple more months to complete

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
One of the things I want to do is collect all the good fan scenarios and create a PDF/booklet of them in one place.

Shnar, this would be awesome!
Also loving your work on the Doom campaign system, looking forward to the end result.
Lastly: keep wanting to call you Shnarf because of Thundercats.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
Lastly: keep wanting to call you Shnarf because of Thundercats.

I know, I get that a lot. I just have one of those names...

Actually, the name comes from an orc character I played on the Beleriand Mush (1st Age Tolkien game) a looooong time ago, around 1996. His name was ShNar-gRu (the caps hinting at a lisp in a text-based game) but since "shnar" was pretty unique I decided to use it as my moniker for all the various online stuff (i.e. email is shnar@hotmail.com, logins everwhere is shnar, etc). It's stuck and relatively easy for others to remember, so I'm keeping it

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Chief
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yeah Shnar I agree with ninja dorg. You are doing amazing things for fans of Doom the Boardgame (like me). I really look forward to some finished results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.