Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » NSW (Sydney)

Subject: Im new-ish! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A famous Australian game company is Australian Design Group.

World in Flames is a game known worldwide. I haven't played it yet, but it looks like the perfect game for university students!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Keech
United States
Brentwood
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petzl wrote:
Hi everyone!
And one last thing, is there any board game conventions or conferences in Australia that are similar to this so called ‘Essen’ that has been elevated to mythological proportions by users on these forums?

I think you just missed the Australian Games Expo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
wrkeech wrote:
petzl wrote:
Hi everyone!
And one last thing, is there any board game conventions or conferences in Australia that are similar to this so called ‘Essen’ that has been elevated to mythological proportions by users on these forums?

I think you just missed the Australian Games Expo.

Having been to both I can confirm that it is is not quite in the Essen league yet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Karlsen wrote:
Having been to both I can confirm that it is is not quite in the Essen league yet

but it's still mighty good fun...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to Australian Design Group, there is also Sagacity Games, who published the cool puzzle-map game, Sunda to Sahul. I'm pretty sure there are other Aussie game publishers.

If you want a beer and pretzel, pub-crawl game, singing and trivia game, there's Oz Crawl. That might go down well with the uni crowd!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendon Vince
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Sam

Ive found that games in australia are very expensive.
you can buy games off ebay international cheap however the shipping is the killer.

From my research only really seems worth buying international for small card games like sabetour, citadels, munchkin things like that.
However if you are buying in australia www.gamesparadise.com.au isnt bad seeing as they offer free shipping if you spend over $85.

Other than that what I have been doing is checking around for cheap games in the bgg marketplace.plus i occasionally find the rare cheap game on ebay australia.

Goodluck finding a game group. wish i could help you out but im located in brisbane

I recently got into board games near the end of last year so im pretty new to the scene also but have spent a lot of time latelly obsessing on bgg so if you have any questions or just want a fellow aussie to have a chat with feel free to send me a message or add me as a geek buddy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scholle
Australia
St Ives, 2075
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome Sam,

If you're looking for some games to buy you can do the following:

Under the "Bazaar" menu select "Marketplace".

Then hit the "edit filter" link. Check the Australian dollars box and uncheck the other currencies. Click "Apply filters".

Under Select a letter to browse you can click on "ALL" or individual letters to see what games are for sale on BGG in Australia.

Good luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬♪♪ ♫ ♩ ♫♫♪ ♩♬♪ ♫
Australia
MURRUMBEENA
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
All reality is a game. Physics at its most fundamental, the very fabric of our universe, results directly from the interaction of certain fairly simple rules, and chance... (Iain Banks)
mbmbmbmbmb

G'day Sam,

Welcome to BGG. There are a few boardgame gatherings in Australia - the largest is AGE over Australia Day in Canberra. There are also boardgames at Gencon Australia (Brisbane) and at several of the roleplaying conventions. Bordercon (Albury - Queens Birthday weekend) is excellent too. The best thing is to keep a close eye on the Australian forums so you get advance notice of events.

Boardgame prices here are very high compared with Europe and North America due to shipping and warehouse costs. Even the larger local distributors can pay $20 shipping per item. You will find there is an ongoing debate about the ethics of buying (somewhat) cheaper items from online stores vs paying a premium to buy at a physical shop - the latter costs more, but you get to see and sometimes play the game before buying. This list might be helpful: 2009 Online Australian Retailers List & Price Comparison Guide

Good luck, I hope to meet you at a con some day.

-R
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny, he doesn't look newish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
First Name Last Name
msg tools
Welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Keech
United States
Brentwood
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Funny, he doesn't look newish.

Now thats funny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastien
Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
petzl wrote:
So where do people buy their games from? Online? Or are there any other places to buy games apart from the charlestown square games shop? (for those in newcastle).

Buy from me, mate ! devil -> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/494047/mega-sale-2010
Me ?!? Hijacking ?!? whistle

Oh, btw WELCOME !!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conrad Hollywood
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petzl wrote:

And whats the go with expensive games! For example caylus was $100 dollars at the games shop (one hundred freaking dollars!). I have noticed it goes for around $50 dollars in the US, and with 1 AUD = roughly 0.90 USD, thats an equivalence of $90! Thats just ridinkculous! So where do people buy their games from? Online? Or are there any other places to buy games apart from the charlestown square games shop? (for those in newcastle).

Unfortunately, we're in the arse end of the world, with a relatively small market for this stuff, and very few suppliers for competition. The bulk economic principle: The more you buy, the bigger the discount, the cheaper each individual item is. If Australian suppliers could be sure half of Sydney would buy Caylus, then it would be closer to $70, but you've still gotta factor in shipping and a whole bunch of related costs. And the fact that board game stores keep losing their clientele to online shops isn't bringing prices down.

Thing is, if the games shop is worth its salt, they'll make up the price difference with value. If you're in Newcastle, find a free day and jump on a train to Chatswood, (bring a book or something, it's a fair trip), and stop by the game shop here. Sometimes it's worth a little bit of extra money to be able to hold the game, have a conversation about it, get a good recommendation on others, not have to wait for it to be shipped, and of course, be able to bring it back if you're missing a piece. If you're lucky, we'll even have a game of it with you before you buy it.

And as a gamer at uni-student age myself, sounds like you'd be into Saboteur. Flexible, quick to pick up, but plays on strategy of politics between players, and of course, RRP $30 hehe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Sam,

Welcome aboard. Expect to spend a LOT of time here.

I'll concur with all the previous comments. Games in Oz are ridiculously expensive, but the same is also true for books and lots of other commodities, here in the antipodes.

There are a few alternatives to buying from a retailer;

You could use the BGG marketplace

Or you could trade games you don't want with other BGG users.

I'll also put in a second vote for Saboteur.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Allen
Australia
Thornton
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hey, watch where you're pointing that thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Sam, and welcome to the forums.

We here at the Newcastle Area Boardgaming Society are always looking for new members. We meet every two weeks for an evening of good games and good company in the Newcastle area. Our next meet is on Saturday, February 27th.

Come see us at www.nabsonline.org

-rkt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.