1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Gaming in the news - Suspect in slays fan of ‘Dungeons’ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patroclus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/view.bg?articleid=...

I agree with the many article comments that the writer was really reaching on this one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vernon Evenhuis
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People who play Dungeons & Dragons are all social outcasts with mental issues. People who watch "The Sopranos" are OK though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
a little unbelievable that a professional journalist would go for this angle after all these years.

So true. There are thousands of people, maybe millions, who have played D&D. Only a few turned out to be crazy killers. Statistics would indicate that if you want your kids to be non-violent, make them play D&D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Vincent
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell people: causation does not equal correlation, folks. I'll bet they both enjoyed pizza too... oh my god, people that like pizza are more likely to go postal!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Webb Space Telescope in 2018!
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mb
tjvincen wrote:
I can't tell you how many times I've had to tell people: causation does not equal correlation, folks. I'll bet they both enjoyed pizza too... oh my god, people that like pizza are more likely to go postal!

I bet he ate breakfast too. Oh no, so do I!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that when I kill someone, I will be able to stand up there and say, "I did it. I made the choice. I don't blame it on anything except rock band-beatles, rap music, death metal music, emo music, Grand Theft Auto, Wolfenstein, The Eagles, Schlock Mercenary, 356 Tomorrows, Dungeons and Dragons, Rifts, Cell by Ghost-Corp, the University of Houston college system, the U.S. Navy, the Pentagon's secret killer program and of course Obamamania. Except for those, I made the decision."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Warren
United States
Marietta
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
A quick google search reveals that the author is 52 years old -- certainly old enough to have received a firm impression when RPG-related ignorance was at its worst.

Still, a little unbelievable that a professional journalist would go for this angle after all these years.

As a former Bostonian, I have to say that I look on the Boston Herald as a step below the National Enquirer as far as journalistic integrity.

I would be hard pressed to use "professional" with any of their "reporters".

The really sad thing is they do happen to be a major newspaper, but they seem to embrace the tabloid format.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Police seized two Dungeons & Dragons books"

Way to go Mr Cops. Now you're hot on the trail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Police seized two Dungeons & Dragons books from McDermott’s Haverhill apartment after he shot seven co-workers to death on Dec. 26, 2000.

LMAO. Last time I checked 3.5 didn't have firearms.

Question: Anytime a cop picks up any item is it "seized"? As in "Officer Tardy siezed his keys off the dinning room table as he sped out the door".

Or "Officer Brown seized the toilet paper before wiping his butt."

Or "Officer Sniff seized the boogers from his nose."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scratches wrote:
"Police seized two Dungeons & Dragons books"

Way to go Mr Cops. Now you're hot on the trail

I guess they didn't want to pay retail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mendon Dornbrook
United States
Phoenix
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
99.99% of serial killers in the 20th century drove cars. I think we should outlaw cars!

Edit: carrots. and they ate carrots, too. Ban them!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Georg von Lemberg
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nich wrote:
I think that when I kill someone, I will be able to stand up there and say, "I did it. I made the choice. I don't blame it on anything except rock band-beatles, rap music, death metal music, emo music, Grand Theft Auto, Wolfenstein, The Eagles, Schlock Mercenary, 356 Tomorrows, Dungeons and Dragons, Rifts, Cell by Ghost-Corp, the University of Houston college system, the U.S. Navy, the Pentagon's secret killer program and of course Obamamania. Except for those, I made the decision."

Why does everyone always forget to mention Sesame Street? I bet every mass murderer in North America in the past 30 years grew up watching that show. "Snuff"-lupagus? Cookie "Monster"? Mr Hooper? Come on people what sort of role models where they?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
jwoodall04 wrote:
That's about as stupid as blaming gun ownership!

At the risk of being RSPed, I hope this is a joke. Let me know the next time someone is bludgeoned to death with a DnD book or a bag of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Salazar
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
i wonder what happens when they dont find DnD stuff in a killers house, do they just shrug their shoulders and wonder what could have possibly gone wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Hales
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After hearing about this article I wonder if she was overheard saying "Lightning bolt" every time she pulled the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Next thing you'll know, they'll say that Leonardo DiCaprio films or music from Ice-T influences people to kill other people...

yuk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilko Drude
Germany
Goettingen
Lower Saxony
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What are you doing!? I don't even know you!
mbmbmbmbmb
mdornbrook wrote:
99.99% of serial killers in the 20th century drove cars. I think we should outlaw cars!

My daughter (3) doesn't eat carrots. Does that mean I don't have to worry about her becoming a murderer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Tanner
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all really depends on what alignment you pick, she obviously wasn't lawful good.

Really though I have a close connection with UAH. Huntsville is my home town, I have taken classes there, my sister goes to school there, and my father works there.

It is a real tragedy what happened there. To think she had a PhD, from Harvard! People like that are supposed to be smart and stable and whatnot.

If playing D&D is enough to cause someone to gun down 6 people, then clearly something else was already wrong with them.

On a ton of these newsites/blogs where people are (unfortunately) able to comment, I've seen so many comments along the lines of how its Huntsville, Alabama, we are just a bunch of stupid rednecks with guns (out of curiosity, when was the last redneck/hillbilly anyone saw with a PhD from Harvard?) and that's why all of this happened (which is infuriating that people would make such ignorant, demeaning comments during a time of tragedy). I just wanted to point out that Huntsville has more PhDs per capita than any other city in the US (at least in 2008, could have been surpassed by now), so much for mindless gun toting rednecks.

Not that I am suggesting anyone here thinks that way, but because I am too lazy to register to comment on any of those news sites, and because it would do no good anyways, thought I would just rant here =D.

You guys don't have to worry though, I do play a lawful good character =).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Taylor
United Kingdom
Cambridge
CAMBS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When I read the article just now I wondered if somebody had linked it to "the Onion" as a bit of a joke.

The line "They even acted out this crap" hardly sounds professional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Bultitude
United Kingdom
Guildford
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seboz wrote:
This reminds me of a pamphlet I got when I was a young D&D playing kid on halloween. I managed to find it on the web and thought someone out there might get a kick from this: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp when I saw the first few panels the first thought to my mind was "someone doesn't like rolling new characters." Which was promptly followed by: "well, I'm never asking for candy from that house again."

I'm always in two minds about that guy. On one hand his tracts are a ridiculous enough to be funny, but on the other hand he's such a spiteful and hateful person it make me feel ill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Cabrera
Mexico
Mexico
D.F.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HilkMAN wrote:
mdornbrook wrote:

My daughter (3) doesn't eat carrots. Does that mean I don't have to worry about her becoming a murderer?

But maybe she will get to the evil claws of the carrot with time... One may appear in her salad tomorrow. You never know!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad R Morin
United States
South Central
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Light in the Darkness
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patroclus wrote:
I agree with the many article comments that the writer was really reaching on this one...
SurrenderMonkey wrote:
As a former Bostonian, I have to say that I look on the Boston Herald as a step below the National Enquirer as far as journalistic integrity...
The really sad thing is they do happen to be a major newspaper, but they seem to embrace the tabloid format.

Agree with both the above. I was pleasantly surprised by how dismissive of the article the comments were; given that this is the type of angle the paper usually uses to attract readers, I thought for sure the article would have gained more traction and am really happy that it didn’t.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bktanner wrote:

To think she had a PhD, from Harvard! People like that are supposed to be smart and stable and whatnot.

Intelligence has nothing to do with what motivates someone to kill. Some killers were/are some of the most intelligent society has to offer.

Intelligence is just a measure of how efficiant a brain makes connections. I am sure as a PHD from Harvard this woman was very intelligent.

It is lack of emotional intelligence that usually cause people to kill. This woman was stressed over a situation that was out of her control and she couldn't deal with it emotionally.

Trying to wrap your head around someone's illogical actions using your logical brain will never give you insight to why something happened. It is like using your house key to try and start your car. It is a great thing that you cannot understand why she did this and have it make sense, or we'd have to keep an eye on you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancient evils

SurrenderMonkey wrote:
A quick google search reveals that the author is 52 years old ...
Oi! I'm a month and a bit off 52 and I started on the original D&D in early 1977, when still 18. It was only later editions that started dumbing down marketing to the younger market.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamey Philipp
United States
Muskego
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seboz wrote:
This reminds me of a pamphlet I got when I was a young D&D playing kid on halloween. I managed to find it on the web and thought someone out there might get a kick from this: http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0046/0046_01.asp when I saw the first few panels the first thought to my mind was "someone doesn't like rolling new characters." Which was promptly followed by: "well, I'm never asking for candy from that house again."

Those tracts are funny as hell.

On the other side, in this one the D&D player got someone who hated D&D to buy her 200 bucks worth of gaming stuff! Where can I sign up for some of that action?!?!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.