Australia
Smithfield
South Australia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I posted a thread in general gaming, but felt that here might be home to some people who have a tend to find value in the quirky and rare board games that exist today.

The game I have is : The Share Game

According to my Alzheimers ridden grandfather (whose word may or may not be entirely accurate) only 20 of these games were ever made. My copy is of fairly average quality, with some pencil markings over the scoring sheet, writing on the inside of the lid, and some repair work done on the lid also. Visually, it looks fine, and all the pieces are there (no small feat, considering how fiddly some of the chits are).

The game is from at least 1965, if not earlier, as the phone number on the box was a Sydney central 6 digit number, which ceased operation in mid 1965.

The board and game is fairly well detailed for a game that was produced by such a small company, and although I have not played it since a child, I do remember being stomped by all the adults who played it at the same time.

It might be completely worthless, or it might not be. Either way I figure someone here will likely know.

Regards,
Bane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Geggus
United Kingdom
Brentwood,
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It might be worth talking to the other two owners of the game on BGG. They may have some additional info which may (or may not) answer your questions.

It would seem highly unusual for 3 copies to be owned by Geeks if only 20 were ever made and, indeed, made that long ago. The general reckoning would be that games of at least 40 years old would be very unlikely to have survived unless produced in large numbers or were originally of some demonstrable value. We are probably more aware nowadays of games and their value, so more recent games are far more likely to be retained by collectors or players, hence the high value of rarer, older games that would not generally survive the rigours of time.

Good luck with your search.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W M
United Kingdom
Rugby
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is the only reference I could find online - it was an auction. No reserve and the game didn't sell.
http://www.trademe.co.nz/nz/auction-60009297.htm

There are very few board games which command high values and those tend to games which had 500+ print runs, the game was well received, but there was no reprint meaning demand outstripped supply. Or, very early versions of later mass produced games (Like first editions of books). Even in those cases there are very, very few games which sell for over US $200.

See: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/30574/the-most-expensi...

and

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/344/the-holy-grails-of...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.