Subject: Why is information so scarce??? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is, simply, my question. I honestly can't tell if an english version is (or was) readily available and if so what might be in it.

frankly, I would have thought that any expansion to puerto rico constant top 1/2 on BGG would have a bit more interest in it. Compared to other games this would appear to be a farce.
Does it even exist? Release date was apparently planned for november 09-was it?

EDIT: If someone wanted to,say, give me a copy, I would be happy to provide the info I would have liked for those who follow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Grant
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
More Yellow
badge
Great Wall of China
mbmbmbmbmb
spacewolf009 wrote:

Since you're in NZ, you'll be pleased to know it has just been released in NZ this week - http://www.pixelpark.co.nz/newgames.htm - I got an email from my local store today telling me they have it in stock.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alexgrant wrote:
spacewolf009 wrote:

Since you're in NZ, you'll be pleased to know it has just been released in NZ this week - http://www.pixelpark.co.nz/newgames.htm - I got an email from my local store today telling me they have it in stock.

thank you so much!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Adams
United States
Brigham City
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It does exist in English. I have it.

I think part of the problem with a lack of info is that it contains expansions for so many different games and I feel hesitant to review it without trying them out. I think the Puerto Rico nobles expansion looks pretty interesting, but the only one I have played so far is the San Juan expansion. I like it a lot so far but haven't played it enough to feel I should review it yet.

I'm glad I have it if only for the San Juan expansion. That's worth it to me. I'm sure it's different for others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a Session Report from Rick Thornquist at Boardgamenews.com -- he plays all the games with the Alea Treasure Chest expansions and shares his thoughts. A good read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised there hasn't been more discussion of some of these expansions, especially the Puerto Rico one. Instead, most of the threads in this game's forums are from people trying to sell off the expansions they don't want.

I haven't tried all the expansions yet but of the ones I have played:

Puerto Rico - Nobles: The new buildings didn't feel balanced. Some of them seemed really strong, e.g. the building where you get extra nobles in the Mayor phase, especially in combination with the Jeweller. I'd play this again a few times to try out different strategies, but I can see certain buildings being highly sought after, while others are ignored. I suppose that's not much different from the base game where everyone loves an early Small Market but nobody ever buys the University.

Witch's Brew - Magical Abilities: A good addition to the game but I wouldn't use it every time since it changes things quite considerably and takes a bit longer.

Witch's Brew - 6 Player expansion: The game still works well with six. I appreciate that they added cards and pieces for a sixth player since there aren't many Euros I like with that many players. They are usually either too short and light or quite long and involved. Witch's Brew with six hits a good balance of depth to play time.

In the Year of the Dragon - Great Wall: An OK addition, giving some additional options. However, I'm not sure it affects the game all that much. The one time we tried this, one player managed to use all his Great Wall pieces, scoring the maximum possible at each Mongol Invasion, and it didn't earn him enough points that it was worth concentrating on this strategy. So, I think it's best used in combination with existing strategies, rather than forming a whole new way to play the game.

In the Year of the Dragon - Events: These constitute small changes that can really shake up the game in interesting ways. You can plan for them, but each player might want to react to them in different ways. You probably wouldn't want to use them with a new player, as they have enough to worry about already just staying afloat, but anyone with a few games under their belt might want to add the events as a matter of course.

Notre Dame - Extra Person cards: These are great and I'll always use them from now on. Individually, some are more useful than others, but mixed with the original cards, they reduce the predictability of the game (not that this was a problem) and give people a chance to succeed with unusual strategies.

Sadly, The Princes of Florence, San Juan and Louis XIV are less popular around here so I haven't had chance to try those expansions yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.