Subject: Two Finca questions delivery and farming rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Manny Castro
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first question is about the rules for delivery. Watching Tom Vasel's review http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/427024/video-review-finc...
and from the person who taught me the game, both stated that you can deliver up to 6 fruits on delivery. The rules state you must deliver 6 fruits, is this a translation error or my teachers incorrect?

The second question I have is when a shortage is triggered how many does the person collecting the fruit take? For example:
There is 1 orange left and I am to take 4 oranges. Do I take 1, the shortage is triggered and then I take 3 oranges? Or is it the case that after the shortage is resolved I take all 4 oranges? The rules say in full but the shortage seems like an interrupt and not an event that resets my orange farming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
mbmbmbmbmb
gohladucan wrote:
My first question is about the rules for delivery. Watching Tom Vasel's review http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/427024/video-review-finc...
and from the person who taught me the game, both stated that you can deliver up to 6 fruits on delivery. The rules state you must deliver 6 fruits, is this a translation error or my teachers incorrect?

That's not what it says on page 6 of the Rio Grande Games rule book. What rule book says that you must deliver 6?

gohladucan wrote:
The second question I have is when a shortage is triggered how many does the person collecting the fruit take? For example:
There is 1 orange left and I am to take 4 oranges. Do I take 1, the shortage is triggered and then I take 3 oranges? Or is it the case that after the shortage is resolved I take all 4 oranges? The rules say in full but the shortage seems like an interrupt and not an event that resets my orange farming.

Yes, the rule is you are owed your full delivery, so the shortage is rectified first. This is made clear on page 5 of the RGG rule book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
gohladucan wrote:

You may deliver up to a maximum of 6 fruits. The tiles may add up to 7 if you use your "-1" tile. Note that you cannot take a value 1 fruit tile for free.

When a shortage occurs, first, everyone, including you, discard all fruits of that type (or carts). Then you get your full allotment. In your example, you would lose all of the oranges you have collected, and then you would gain 4, ending your turn with four oranges.

I'll note that a lot of people, including me, think this is a silly rule that hurts the game. See the discussions at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/436050/hoarding and
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/435839/delivery-option
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan C
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll note that a lot of people, including me, think this is a silly rule that hurts the game.

What puzzles me about the rule is that well after 20+ plays of this game I have never seen the shortage (or "nuke" as some call it) happen - of fruit or donkeys (although donkeys have come close). Are people just not making deliveries? I'm curious to see it actually happen in a game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Olson
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
jedimusic wrote:
Quote:
I'll note that a lot of people, including me, think this is a silly rule that hurts the game.

What puzzles me about the rule is that well after 20+ plays of this game I have never seen the shortage (or "nuke" as some call it) happen - of fruit or donkeys (although donkeys have come close). Are people just not making deliveries? I'm curious to see it actually happen in a game.

It happens, especially if someone wants it to happen. In fact, that is part of my argument against the "nuke rule": it doesn't happen often enough, or benefit the hoarder enough, to justify the penalty. As long as the player who needs the resource gets enough pieces by having people contribute, it doesn't really matter how many they hoard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bella
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We ran out of donkeys on our second game! 3 players. One person collected 4 donkey carts (not really on purpose, just happened to cross the line several times in a row). The other 2 had been taken by other players, so everyone had at least one. But one of those players then crossed the windmill line and ALL the donkey carts went back (but she got a new one, essentially replacing the one she lost AND eliminating the stash of the first player). This rule seemed very well designed to us. (Well, mostly...I'm the one that lost the carts!!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see it happen with donkeys more than fruit. Although in a 4-player game, it's not uncommon to see it happen. The thing is that while the number of donkey carts scales with the number of players, the amount of fruit does not, so you're unlikely to see a nuke in a 2-player game. 3-player maybe, since there are more meeples on the windmill, so slightly more fruit being generated per action, on average.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Cheng
Taiwan
Taipei City
n/a
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
spartax wrote:
I see it happen with donkeys more than fruit. Although in a 4-player game, it's not uncommon to see it happen. The thing is that while the number of donkey carts scales with the number of players, the amount of fruit does not, so you're unlikely to see a nuke in a 2-player game. 3-player maybe, since there are more meeples on the windmill, so slightly more fruit being generated per action, on average.

You can play with a popular variant here by reducing the fruit token for 2p and 3p. Or you can get the small expansion, which comes with two tiles that mandatory discard fruits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.