Popular Tags: [View All]
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just went ad-free on BGG for the first time and I gotta say, it's like flying first class. No more flashing, blinking ads in my face; no more kids kicking the back of my seat; no more eating out of aluminum containers like some wayward hobo. Just comfort, convenience, and a nice cold mug of Leffe in my hand. (Ok, so I had to buy the beer myself.) The point is, I like being ad-free so much that I'm willing to pay for it.

Many web sites give users the option of paying to disable ads. And lately, many sites throughout the Intertubes, specifically newspapers and other periodicals, have been making plans to charge users for access to certain content. I'm just wondering what the general consensus on the BGG is regarding this.

I made the following two polls as straightforward as possible, but please leave your opinion in the comment section. Tell me how you really feel.

Poll
Would you pay to remove ads from a web site?
Yes, it's just better that way.
No, they don't bother me that much.
      41 answers
Poll created by Nate_001

Poll
Would you pay for content on the Internet (on top of your ISP costs)?
Yes
No
      44 answers
Poll created by Nate_001

p.s. I think this is my first poll. Go easy on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI, anyone who donates $25 gets the option to customize what ads (if any) they see on the site for a year. You can also choose pay 1 per day for the same function.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Yeackle
United States
San Luis Obispo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The big reason I donate to BGG is because it continues to be a free site and I really enjoy the idea that I'm contributing to buying Aldie more underoos. Ok, maybe not so much the later.

Being able to disable some of the ads is a nice bonus (I naturally ignore them anyway... well, except for the new ones that pop open on some sites), but it's not the primary reason behind my decision. I only disable some of the ads now because I've gotten used to having more screen real estate available.

So, mostly no on the first one, def. yes on the second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyeackle wrote:
The big reason I donate to BGG is because it continues to be a free site...

Being a hobby site (for most), BGG probably wouldn't do well charging for access. The reason I got hooked on BGG was because it was so easy to explore the site and just jump right in. If I'd had to pay for access at the outset, I probably wouldn't be here. So I agree, keeping the site free is important.

I can only think of three sites to which I donate or pay for access: BGG, NY Times, and Ars Technica. At BGG and Ars, it's a combination of wanting to support the site and wanting to get rid of ads. At NY Times, it's all about the crosswords. So there are some things for which I'm willing to pay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Weirdly, I've chosen not to switch the ads off, as they sometimes lead me to a game I didn't know about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Uncle Potato
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I figure there are so many games I don't know that even after cutting the ads out I still have more to look into than I could possibly have time to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Old & Chaotic Evil Bob
United States
Plainville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
I'm not the Admin you are looking for
badge
O&CE Bob has Retired as a Geek Admin
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no problem paying a reasonable fee for content

content providers need to come up with a formula that works for them and the public

back in the fall 2008 the Wall Street Journal (owned by News Corp, think Fox)
had a $99.00 1 year subscription promotion for print and online editions combined

I did not want to renew last year .. the price was going to $200.00 or more
worse .. they tried to automatically renew the subscription devil
I caught them testing my credit card, so I went into my account and removed my credit card info

the A**HOLES went back and retrieved my deleted credit card information and tested my credit card again angry devil angry

I made an immediate phone call ... I was told that I had agreed to automatic renewal when I accepted the $99.00 promotional offer
I NEVER knowing agree to automatic renewal for anything, Fine Print tricks by anyone is wrong
after about 5 minutes of customer service BS .. they said my renewal was canceled

so .. I will pay a reasonable fee for good content thumbsup
and avoid Evil Corporations like News Corp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hiding Tiger
Australia
Parmelia
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Grrrrrrrrowf!
badge
Grrrrr aaarrrggghhh
mbmbmbmbmb
The few sites that I financially contribute to (BGG being the main one) I have spent time on before deciding to contribute to. I have never yet paid to view content that I otherwise couldn't have seen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.