Popular Tags: [View All]
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking the other day about this Zombie Masters variant and how it would add some great character and more tactics to the Zombie team (which has already been helped by the Grave Weapons). And then I was playing the other night as the Zombies and feeling a little disappointed that I had two Zombie Heroes in my control but they had no distinction other than the number of wounds they had. And I thought, what if each of the Heroes had a special ability for when they become Zombie Heroes?

I'd forgotten about that idea, but then today I saw exactly that kind of thing at the LNOE fansite, used for some custom characters.

Granted, it would probably be prohibitively costly for FFP to reproduce all new double-sided character cards for the existing Heroes. But I'd love to see them release something along those lines. I think it could work to just have regular sized Hero cards, or smaller-sized cards (like FFG uses a lot), that could fit in landscape orientation to cover up a Hero's original special abilities when they become a Zombie Hero, and include one character-specific Zombie Hero ability. In the meantime, I'd be up for creating some actual cards for that via Artscow if we can come up with the abilities for everyone.

Considering Zombie Heroes already have extra wounds, I think each ability would have to be something relatively mild (compared to the Grave Weapons zombie abilities), and I'm sure this would be worth an extra dot for the Z's. In a lot of cases, I think the Hero's original ability could come into play in the same or similar way.

Here's what I've got for each character...

BILLY: Moves d3+1.

SALLY: May cause Heroes fighting her to re-roll any of their Fight Dice.

FATHER JOSEPH: May take a wound to cancel any Hero card on the roll of 4+.

BECKY: May heal one wound from herself or another Zombie Hero at the end of the Zombie turn.

JENNY: Heroes may not use Hand Weapons against her.

JOHNNY: When entering a space with more than one Hero, may fight all of them.

JAKE: At the start of the Zombie Turn, draw back up to 5 cards, then immediately discard one card.

SHERIFF: Has a Revolver with 5 Ammo markers and may shoot at a Hero once per turn during the Fight Heroes phase by discarding an Ammo marker. Range 3, hits on 1 or 2.

KENNY: When he takes a Wound in a Fight, the Hero loses one Item.

RACHELLE: May ignore any Wound on the roll of 6+.

SAM: May cancel any Hero card used against him on the roll of 4+.

AMANDA: Any Male Hero fighting her rolls one less Fight Dice.

VICTOR: May use the ability of one Hand Weapon held by a Hero he is fighting (who may not use that weapon).

JADE: Gains one Fight Dice against any Hero who is not Strange.

MR. GODDARD: May take a Wound to immediately draw a Zombie Card or take any Event (except Play Immediately) out of the Zombie Cards discard pile.

STACY: If she ends her Move on a Spawning Pit, may immediately draw one Zombie Card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dru Dailey
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You wrote for Jake that you think he should pick one of the 2 drawn hero cards the hero drew? Did I read it wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Zaghis
Italy
Sesto San Giovanni
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
TOO MANY GAMES FOR A SINGLE LIFE.. I'll have to consider undeath...
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:

BILLY: Moves 2 spaces instead of one.

...or 1d6, as Zombie Heroes already move 1d3 spaces.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberto Zaghis
Italy
Sesto San Giovanni
Milano
flag msg tools
badge
TOO MANY GAMES FOR A SINGLE LIFE.. I'll have to consider undeath...
mbmbmbmbmb

Maybe...

JAKE: When jake wins a fight the hero must discard one of his items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gattolardo wrote:
Grudunza wrote:

BILLY: Moves 2 spaces instead of one.

...or 1d6, as Zombie Heroes already move 1d3 spaces.

Ah, of course. However, that makes him, as a Zombie Hero, the same as a Recently Dead Grave Weapon zombie. And I would want these special abilities to be a little more "mild" than those (Zombie Heroes already have d3 movement and extra wounds, and I don't think they should be too powerful beyond that). Considering he gets +1 to movement normally, then as a Zombie Hero it should be "Moves d3+1".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Undying1 wrote:
You wrote for Jake that you think he should pick one of the 2 drawn hero cards the hero drew? Did I read it wrong?

Sure, why not? He is a Zombie Hero now, so his ability should be something that hurts the Heroes a little. Being able to draw 2 cards when a Hero searches and pick which one they get, discarding the other, could be nice for the Zombies... Of course, the Heroes are still getting something, so it's not that strong of an ability...

Another thought I had for Jake was, "At the start of the Zombie Turn, draw back up to 5 cards, then discard one immediately." That may be a better match to his normal ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sheriff is like "Bub" in Day of the Dead. He can take shots at you. He does not run out of ammo, but he only hits on a 1.

http://www.amazon.com/Dead-Deluxe-Action-Figure-Amok/dp/B001...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's what I have for the other ones...

AMANDA: Any Male Hero fighting her rolls one less Fight Dice.

She's probably not nearly as beautiful as a zombie, but she still makes the men look twice...

KENNY: When he takes a Wound in a Fight, the Hero loses one Item.

JOHNNY: May ignore Zombie Hunger.

I tried to think of something that would work for his Blitz! ability, but couldn't really come up with anything... I like the ability to ignore Zombie Hunger, though.

JENNY: Heroes may not use Hand Weapons against her.

She needed something a little better than the Cornfield thing, I think...

SHERIFF: When he Wounds a Hero, they must discard a Gun.

I was really stumped for the Sheriff... Maybe as a Zombie, he still has a thing for Revolvers and Guns, so that's where that came from.

MR. GODDARD: May take a Wound to immediately draw a Zombie Card or take any Event (except Play Immediately) out of the Zombie Cards discard pile.

VICTOR: May use the ability of one Hand Weapon held by a Hero he is fighting (who may not use that weapon).

Might be a little powerful, but matches his Hero ability well...

I just saw Dan's reply about the Sheriff. That's a great idea and a lot better than what I had. How about this...

SHERIFF: Has a Revolver with 5 Ammo markers and may shoot at a Hero once per turn during the Fight Heroes phase by discarding an Ammo marker. Range 3, hits on 1 or 2.

I think to hit on 1-2 is better, because usually by the time a Zombie Hero enters the game, half the game or more is over and he should be at least a little more dangerous... A 1 in 3 shot is a lot more likely to do some damage, at least. Heroes can still easily move out of his range, and at the most, he'll get 5 shots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandr Sirotkin
Canada
flag msg tools
I would like this ability for the Sheriff:

Automatically wounds any hero carrying a Revolver in a fight. That hero then discards their Revolver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah... I see what you did there.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
I just saw Dan's reply about the Sheriff. That's a great idea and a lot better than what I had. How about this...

I think to hit on 1-2 is better, because usually by the time a Zombie Hero enters the game, half the game or more is over and he should be at least a little more dangerous... A 1 in 3 shot is a lot more likely to do some damage, at least. Heroes can still easily move out of his range, and at the most, he'll get 5 shots.
Yes, better. If I saw a zombie shooting at me, I'd either kill it quick, or run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some cards I threw together, to give an idea of what I have in mind.

Regular size cards fit just right over the special ability areas of character sheets (the only exception being Sam with his extra wound), so once I can get the abilities worked out (some still need tweaking), I'll probably make an Artscow deck. That's only 16 cards, though, so I'll need some ideas for what to fill the other 38 cards out with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.