Popular Tags: [View All]
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This game looks awesome! I just found out about it and went over to Clash of Arms website to place my pre-order........ and stopped coldsoblue Over 70,- US$ for what is basically a card game (200 cards) and some counters (140)! Sorry but I just don't see why it has to be that expensive. Production costs can hardly be that high. I could get the game produced for the same price and don't have the economy of scale working for me.
Additionally as an European I get hit by a 30% Shipping & Handling Fee (not including the actual shippimng costs), now that is just rediculous!
Edit: Spelling, as usual.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabian Schneider
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree, for a card-based game, this seems awfully expensive. It would be interesting to hear a developer's explanation for that price.

I'll still buy it, but it will take a bit longer to save up for this baby, I suppose...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
eryn roston
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
must be a small print run.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="eisenphx"]Additionally as an European I get hit by a 30% Shipping & Handling Fee (not including the actual shipping costs), now that is just rediculous!
q]

Are you sure that there are additional Postage/Shipping-costs ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like I should read more carefully:
Rest of the World
$84.50 (incl. 30% S&H)

Unfortunately that is still a lot of money for what you get.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Böttcher
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True Frank.

But it looks very interesting ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Baerenkeks wrote:

But it looks very interesting ....

I wholeheartedly agree. I'd love to buy it, but I refuse to pay this amount of money without why the game is priced so high. Don't get me wrong, I have payed more money for games that seemed to offer less, but there was always a good reason for the pricing. If you go thru my "Games owned" there are quite a few games that where expansive for one reason or another. I even go so far as buying games from new designers that sell homemade games for a high price because of the high cost of low production runs. Here, however, we deal with an established company that can make the economy of scale work for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Price? Mostly due to the cards and the size of the print run. Economy of scale simply doesn't work in its favor... the audience is too "exclusive." But I'm curious, what would someone pay for 200 new cards for Magic the Gathering? That game has economy of scale going for it; though I don't know how it is marketed these days or if you can even purchase 200 differnt cards in one package. Legion of Honor has roughly the same number and type of components as The Hell of Stalingrad, and that game was somewhat underpriced when it was released last year in relation to its production costs.

In any case some good news; even with the postage taken into account, the dollar vs. the euro these days makes it almost cheaper for someone in Europe to purchase the game than someone in the States. Go figure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Eisenhauer
India
New Delhi
Delhi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Comparing the game with the Magic CCG is not really fair, as the marketing plan for a CCG is completely different (i.e. which cards are available how often). I have never gotten into CCG's because I consider them addictive and not worth the money you have to spend to play competitive. The price of the game does not reflect the costs of production.
I am sure that you could make far more money of "Legion of Honor" if you would sell it as a CCG.
About the size of the audience: More advertisement for the game in RPG magazines as well as Wargaming Magazines would create a higher interest in it. Thereby the print run could be increased and the price dropped, creating even more interest. Or go the GMT - P500 - way. If GMT would offer the game for this price I would still not buy it, but my guess is that GMT would find a way to increase the print-run to lower the costs.
I will keep looking at this game, as I find it's concept very interesting. Maybe I would jump onto the waggon at some later stage for a lower price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Wimble
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
P-500: The flaw in this system, and don't get me wrong, there are many advantages to it as well, is that entirely new and unique subjects tend to be treated as the proverbial pig in the poke by the consumer, and almost never make the final cut, or langush for years before they finally do. I'm sure The Hell of Stalingrad would still be sitting there today if it had been placed on a P-500 list in spite of hindsight and how well it has sold since it was released. Also, P-500 does not help determine price, only how soon something gets published. Generally the P-500 price is based on production costs; the estimate being that 500 copies presold makes the object at least a break-even venture. Any game that sells more than those initial 500 copies is profitable, and the profitablity measured in direct relationship to it. This is why so many games that were initially offered P-500, after being published and in the system for only a few months, are then vastly discounted since sold units #501 and beyond are gravy.

"...advertisement for the game in RPG magazines..."

You cannot advertise something without giving it a price first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.