Subject: mining for energy 5 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Evertjan van de Kaa
Netherlands
den haag
zuid holland
flag msg tools
I resently played a three player game of Origins: How We Became Human with expansion and most of the expansion set optional rules. This question is about the optimal rule mining:

Mining44 (Era III and later): If a player has a
Metropolis on a resource hex, and expends an Elder,
he may roll on the Resource Extraction Table adding
one extra to the die roll.

It was interesting to see the Mining rule in action. one player was in era 3, had an active level 3 leader and 2 population left on the population track. he managed not to go into chaos. but then had the question what to do with his population actions. He decided that he wanted more energy and thus (having 5 active elders and a metropolis on an oil) decided to do a mining action on that oil metropolis till hde got that energy. Eventualy he rolled a 6 two times. and thus was able to get energy 5 at the cost of 5 elders and 5 population actions.

My question would be is that allowed (i do think so) and
is that intended?
I originaly though that it was to easy however, if it costs a lot of elders...

Evertjan van de Kaa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolai Broen Thorning
Denmark
Ebeltoft
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also the way we play it, though expand an elder means you use him this turn - and can then "re-activate" the elder in the next round. I was uncertain if you meant you lost the elder (moved into the innovation track!).

I do not think it is too easy this way, you do need to roll a high score until you get to higher levels of Metallurgy - but it does some times leave the one(s) without oil and elders in a disfavourable position.

Our games are mainly with 2 so there is more to go around, but it is a battle to gain the oil spots, as well as the silver/ gold producing spot (where you can gain an elder by mining).

It has not been a problem in our games... but I do see your point...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evertjan van de Kaa
Netherlands
den haag
zuid holland
flag msg tools
I did mean expand indeed. and as i said, i think the main cost is the elders. but if you can be certain that no public cards will be played it most certainly will be worth it.

Evertjan van de Kaa

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
This is legal. If you have 5 elders to expend, and 5 population actions as well, then you can attempt mining 5 times in a turn at your resource metropolis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
Germany
Franconia
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.
badge
Please fondle my bum.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am not totally mistaken, you cannot go to energy level 5 on an oil metropolis, but need an uranium metropolis.
Otherwise, perfectly legal, and a nice way to spend pop actions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.