Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Göran Björkman had taken the role of the Coalition player facing myself as the Swede.
The game started in a raging tempo with Saxon and Russians attacking Riga and Narva. However, after a quick landing of Karl XII and 2 regiments the situation was quickly dealt with. Having firstly fought of the Saxons and got them on the run, I turned against the Russians.

My battle plan was as easy as it was bold. I would bulk all Swedes in the Baltics and in a northern flank move attack through Ingermanland and with a Southern spearhead attack through Velikaya and thereby force the Russian to use Pjotr I to meet my onslaught.
After succeeding to hold off the Russians and at the same time, more or less shipping the whole Swedish army to the Baltics I felt that it was now or never.
The plan worked perfectly and Pjotr met my northern attack and fought it off but with heavy losses.
Göran moved Pjotr into Smolensk and when I the next turn rolled the die and received 3 actions an evil grin appeared in my face.
Quickly I attacked Smolensk with Karl XII and 3 regiments (all A blocks. Karl XII already had a step loss though). Next I supported the attack with 2 Armies, Lewenhaupt and Rhenskiöld.
When Göran tilted the Russian blocks and I saw that Pjotr I only had 1 step left and that he was supported by 3 regiments which only had 2 steps left each, I cheered in joy.
My plan was about to succeed! When I had forced the Russians into a humiliating peace killing Pjotr I , I could turn to the southwest and force those annoying Saxons on their knees.
Then it happed! I studder even now when I’m thinking about it.
The first turn: I rolled the dice and... Only received fours, fives and sixes...not a hit!!!
A childish giggle from my opponent didn’t do things better. Okay, now it was Göran’s turn to reply- and of course he succeeded to give me a total of 5 hits during his attack. BUGGERS!!!
The second turn: Ah! My supporting Army blocks come to the rescue! I start to roll the dice again and....the dice is still set on 4, 5, and sixes. One hit on a Russian block though. ONE hit!robot
Suddenly those dice sat as bullets in the concrete wall behind Göran. And Görans giggle had turned into a guttural laughter. His turn to reply: 4 new hits on the Swedes.
Third and last turn: I still have the chance of killing Pjotr I. On the other hand I was as weak as him but I had the chance of performing the combat round first. So new dice rolled and... no way...only fives and sixes. Not a hit!!
Göran’s evil laughter now had gone silent. I think I saw tears of joy in his eyes when he silently chipped for his breath. And then he rolled his dice and humiliated me to new losses.

surpriseSilently I just looked at the game plan trying to comprehend what really had happened. While Göran was dancing a rain dance of joy holloring like a fog horn, I realized that I had attacked 5 Russian steps with 18 Swedish. When the battle ended the Russians had lost 2 steps and I had lost 12. Unbelivable!!
I had met my Poltava.
Quickly I retreated Karl XII to Estland to lick my wounds. My gamble had misfired at overwhelming odds.
Do I need to say that I lost the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terrific report, Stefan! Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Ekström
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
ALWAYS THINKING ON GAMES
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Görans defense, I have to say that he at least had the courtesy to cook me dinner before he cunningly smashed me on the russian stepps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Nordlöf
Sweden
SPANGA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you all know... Göran is famous for rolling snake-eyes when it really counts. This must be the game for him he has been looking for so long...coming to think of it.... isn'the one of the 1st edition designers? ;-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.