Subject: Delayed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This might be a daft question, but I'm at work and am day dreaming of Arkham (or should that be 'having a nightmare')... but I have neither the rules nor game at hand to answer the questions of my wondering mind...

On with it... can someone clarify the delayed rule for me. My current thinking is:

When you are delayed you can not move, but you can do everything else (such as have encounters etc...). Is that correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Cowan
United Kingdom
Milton Keynes
Buckinghamshire
flag msg tools
www.phoenixgamesclub.org.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as I understand, when your delayed you lay your investigator down, and stand them up instead of moving - you then proceed with your turn as normal. So yes, you do just skip the movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So you havr encounter AND monster evading/bashing before if you are in the same place than monsters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd wrote:
So you havr encounter AND monster evading/bashing before if you are in the same place than monsters.
I think that's correct. What you can't do is move, use movement points, or cast movement phase spells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Riggan
United States
OKLAHOMA CITY
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Also note that there IS a difference between "stay here next turn" (delayed) and "skip your next turn" (lose a turn)

Delayed, you can still do stuff. If you skip your next turn, you do NOTHING that turn, IIRC.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John H
United States
Metro Detroit Area
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In short, you are correct, no movement and yes you can have encounters. However, like most games, a closer look at the rules helps clarify most issues.

Let's start with a quote from the rules;
Quote:
Delayed Investigators
During the game, certain effects can cause an investigator to become delayed. When this occurs, place the investigator marker on its side, indicating the delay. Delayed investigators receive no movement points and do not move during the Movement Phase. Instead, during the investigator’s Movement Phase, the player stands the investigator marker back up to show that the investigator is no longer delayed. On the following turn, the investigator will be able to move once again as normal.

The key to answering most issues is following phase order in the turn. "Delayed" effects movement,or lack thereof, so the investigator does not have movement points in Phase II: Movement Phase. They cannot cast spells that require movement points and are stood up to end their movement, ready to act normal in subsequent phases (III through V). Ending their movement however, does not end their Movement Phase, if a monster is present in their location, combat occurs (see page 14 for Combat rules).

I hope this helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Packard
United States
Palmdale
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Admittedly, this is a minor quibble, but it makes a difference: Note that when you are delayed, you do not skip your movement phase. Instead you get 0 movement points, and merely stand up as your "movement".

The reason why this makes a difference is that you evade/fight monsters in the movement phase. Therefore if you skipped the movement phase (and you don't), you would also skip having to deal with a monster at the same location.

But if you just receive 0 movement points (and you do), then you don't move anywhere, but you do still have to deal with those pesky monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks all,

I know it is a simple rule, but only having played the game twice, I wanted to make sure I was playing it right!

The hard thing for me was seeing the player piece lying on its side... looking like it was out of action, but I guess I have to remember the the word 'delayed' just means that you're held up somewhere (I'm stating the obvious, I know!!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boywonder_uk wrote:
The hard thing for me was seeing the player piece lying on its side...

I have exactly the same problem with the "delayed" effect. Perhaps putting a token under the character (the same way as an "explored" token is used) might be the way forward. Something larger than a character base and with a red border would act as a good visual aide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.