Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The part I've always hated about receiving a new wargame is the counter punching. Sooo many tiny counters to punch. And if you're not careful you'll rip or damage the corners. I simply hated it, especially when you compare it to eurogame counters that practically punch themselve out of the sheet just by looking at them!

Last weekend I punched Liberty Roads, and my disgust reached a new level. The counters seems less sturdy than GMT counters, so they "bend" too easily when you push yuk Took me soooo long to punch them because I had to be extra careful and I was really not pleased at the end result, lots of them had a small attachment left on one corner that I had to fix.

So yesterday I got tired of it all and bought an excel blade at a craft shop. Then I tried it on a C3i counter sheet. Worked like a charm! Yes, it takes a tad longer, but the counters come off so easilly after that, and they are perfect, no attachment left on the counters whatsoever.
I was so pleased with the result that I opened SPQR deluxe and started on those. A hour later I had 2 countersheet fully, and perfectly, punched and bagged, and I was grinning! blush

Maybe I should see a doc, I'm not feeling myself. Next thing you know, I'll be clipping the corners gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franco
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was expecting this to be a thread about an infection from a papercut, but I'm glad it had a happier ending than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
You will be clipping corners before the year is out...

I think using a knife is the only way to go these days. The only issue is that you have to take it slow and easy. One careless slip and you have a nice 2 mm slice off the top of the French Imperial Guard followed by exaggerated annoyance and swearing. I never do it if I am tired, distracted or in a hurry.

Oh, and beware pushing the plastic body of an Exacto knife into the counters. That can happen if the blade is not extended enough. It causes a nice linear depression along a row. Followed by more annoyance and swearing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Get a nice metal straight edge to go with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Capt_S wrote:
You will be clipping corners before the year is out...

I hit both those at that same time... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Half the fun of this hobby is the accessories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey D Myers
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
"Always rely upon a happy mind alone." Geshe Chekhawa.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is all very therapeutic.

Try stickering blocks for Commands & Colors: Ancients and all of the expansions....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Oatman
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I started sticking C&C:A blocks last week (Wed. I believe) I just have exp. 4 left to go...cryshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Willcockson
United States
Woodstock
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

Actually I would be worried about using a straight edge. If you didn't have it lined up just right your Xacto knife might follow the straight edge up on to the counter surface. The most useful accessory I have is a self healing cutting board. I start off by carefully punching the Xaco blade all the way into the space between two counters on the far left and into the cutting board. Then I firmly draw the blade across to the right within the grove. As long as you go slow it will stay right where it is suppose to. I drop the counters out in strips, then use the blade to cut the last connectors and pop out each one from the strip as I go. The result is nice square counters and that is good enough for me, I will never be a counter clipper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When punching "weak" counters, I find that the trick is not to punch the counters out, but to lay the countersheet flat, put a thumb on the counter, and pull the countersheet up. Sheet comes up, counter stays there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wilhammer wrote:

I got myself a kit that has a wide variety of blades. Still experimenting with both angled and straight edge. Slightly leaning toward the straight edge, but as someone mentionned, gotta be careful when you push down not to "behead" the counter

Also, the symptoms got worse over my lunch hour, I bought a 24*48 plexiglass...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Amala
United States
Dublin
California
flag msg tools
"Heke Heke": Hamsterish for "Huh?"
badge
paul@amala.us
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a xacto knife too. On some counters you'll find that you don't have to score the entire row/line, only the little stubs that hold them to the frame. Then just pop them out with your fingers.

If you do by accident score some counters, I find the putting a little Elmer's Glue in the score, the pressing it flat with the top of my thumb nail works wonders.

And when you do graduate to clipping the corners, do it while watching/listening to tv. Very therapeutic. But watch for repetitive stress injuries when tackling ASL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Same here, I never punch out counters as I'm afraid I will damage the them. So I use xacto knife to first cut out the set of 8/10 whatever the size of the block is and then I very slightly cut the corners, I prefer squared counters. I just finished cutting out Fields of Fire (man 5 counter sheets!!!), a lot of work...but what I found helps a lot is to get a good podcast on wargames and while you work on our counters you listen to some sutff about wargames, it helps a lot for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Guy

Snohomish
Washington
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HA HA... it does sound like a horror movie (since you used the word "infected"). I can see the tag line now:

It's starts with a cut, then a clip, then...
28 DAYS GAMES LATER

coming soon to a theater near you from BGG Cinema.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Kinwolf wrote:

Next thing you know, I'll be clipping the corners gulp

First thing that came to my mind when reading your post. See that I'm not alone devil

Kinwolf wrote:

Last weekend I punched Liberty Roads, and my disgust reached a new level. The counters seems less sturdy than GMT counters, so they "bend" too easily when you push yuk Took me soooo long to punch them because I had to be extra careful and I was really not pleased at the end result, lots of them had a small attachment left on one corner that I had to fix.

What do you mean by "a small attachment" - these counters are truly yelling out "clip me....".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't clip but I like to cut them out with a razorknife. They don't look as good as clipped counters but they do look very clean.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Fletcher
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
I,too, was disappointed with the softness of Liberty Roads counters--especially since their Friedensturm counters were probably the sturdiest and cleanest punching counters on a new game I've seen in a while. Cost-saving, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone will probably be selling a "War Game Counter Cutting Knife" very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Arnold
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moss_icon wrote:

How did you know my next marketing move?

Now only $34.99!! Act now and I'll throw in a set of replacement blades free!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everybody has their favorite approach. I usually cut the strips loose with a no. 24 X-acto blade (Excel uses the same number system) and separate individual counters as needed with a no. 19 blade.

And yes, you're only a few heartbeats away from becoming a counter clipper, which is a good thing, despite occasional reports to the contrary. Remember, wargames don't come ready-to-play. So, consider the analogy of a plastic model: You remove the parts from the sprue (punch or cut counters from the frame) and then trim any flashing off the parts (clip the ragged corners off the counters) before you begin assembly (setting up the game). To which somebody once told me that wargames aren't models. But of course they are; they model historical situations. So, who would be crazy enough to build a model without trimming the flashing?

Command Magazine games always included the following instruction somewhere near the front of the rules: "Carefully punch out the counters. Trimming the 'dog ears' off the corners with a fingernail clipper will greatly facilitate their handling and stacking during play (and also enhances their appearance)." Sometimes they worded it a little different, but trimming was always part of game prep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wired_Wolf wrote:
moss_icon wrote:

How did you know my next marketing move?

Now only $34.99!! Act now and I'll throw in a set of replacement blades free!!!

Hey, I buy it (depending on the number of replacement blades you throw in laugh ).

Why not - I bought the LOS-thingy from L2 too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.