United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
Unique titles I've played in 2018
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the name of the card is "Helmsman." It is the card which allows you to pay one Gold Coin to move your ship up to four spaces. This issue could also come up with the other card that allows you to move your ship 2 spaces (Sailmaker?).

Can you split up your spaces to be used before and after the delivery of a ware?

When it happened in our game, we let the player do it. Allowing this seemed consistent with the rulebook on moving ships... "On his turn, a player may move his ship as often and as far, with any number of direction changes as he wants along the sea and port spaces."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not required to stop at a habour when delivering goods. You can simply dump the goods into the scoring space before moving on, as scoring goods is the same action as moving the ship.

As long as your ship is in a habour you could even acquire a new district in the city and score this good instantly - if the good is of the same type required in the habour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Mik. Good to know that we got it right.

By the way, your tavern was activated in our game last night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert R
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Hey Brad.... Macao, thumbs up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mostly up. However, I really want to play it again before I say for sure. Here are my comments...

After one game, this feels like an interesting game with a unique mechanic and some neat combinations with the cards. I'm not sure how much I like it yet as the theme is a definite weak spot and the first play felt bogged down at times with some of the players. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play again and keep the game zipping along - I doesn't feel like it should take even 90 minutes.

While I usually want good theme and this game has weaknesses there, I don't think it hurts it too much. There is a fair amount going on all at once, but it all seems manageable and none of us had a problem getting a feel for the game. Seems like there are likely to be a few "explosion" turns during the game where one player may have to do a lot all at once and that can bog the game down at times.

The dice for cubes mechanic with the planning required is what drew me into the game in the first place and that aspect of the game did not disappoint.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a theory:

If a game has a pasted-on/boring/overused/silly theme, and if the theme is weak, then it does not detract too much from the game itself, because the designer obviously wasn't trying that hard to make the theme strong.
If the game has a REALLY interesting/brilliant/new theme, and if the theme is weak, then it will detract from the game itself because the designer obviously didn't do the theme credit.

So obviously, Macao has a "boring" and "overused" theme, which means Stefan Feld was obviously focusing on mechanics. Therefore, the theme does not detract from Macao's gameplay. meeple

... unless you play games for the theme. Then why are you playing Eurogames and not RPGs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The prototype was called "Island Manager", which reflect that sailing among the islands were a large part of the theme. The cube mechanism and the cards were already there, but the game was much longer and with a much stronger theme.

In order to streamline the game and reduce the game time was the part about sailing among the islands reduced heavily. All the good parts was kept, and the playing time was reduced heavily to about an hour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
Mostly up. However, I really want to play it again before I say for sure. Here are my comments...

After one game, this feels like an interesting game with a unique mechanic and some neat combinations with the cards. I'm not sure how much I like it yet as the theme is a definite weak spot and the first play felt bogged down at times with some of the players. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to play again and keep the game zipping along - I doesn't feel like it should take even 90 minutes.

While I usually want good theme and this game has weaknesses there, I don't think it hurts it too much. There is a fair amount going on all at once, but it all seems manageable and none of us had a problem getting a feel for the game. Seems like there are likely to be a few "explosion" turns during the game where one player may have to do a lot all at once and that can bog the game down at times.

The dice for cubes mechanic with the planning required is what drew me into the game in the first place and that aspect of the game did not disappoint.

I played Macao again and I officially give it a thumbs up. I'll certainly have to play it more before I know exactly how much I like it, but the second play went much better than the first. I played with 2 players who had never heard of the game and, after teaching, it took 90 minutes to play. I think it would go faster for 3 experienced players. I like how all the parts of the game work together. To me, the mechanics make up for the largely missing theme.

We didn't use the turn order wall much in this game and I felt like I had more cubes going to waste this time around but I think that was partly due to my mis-management.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
We didn't use the turn order wall much in this game and I felt like I had more cubes going to waste this time around but I think that was partly due to my mis-management.

Certainly. I think that is partly why the turn order track is there: something to do with leftover cubes. But of course, it is very important as well, so if you don't have enough cubes to do that and everything else, you've got a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
In my latest play, the ending was very anticlimactic. Without any special abilities, once you buy PPs, buy a district, deliver all your goods and build the cards, the wall is the only thing left to use remaining cubes on. I was a bit surprised when I first played that any remaining money was not worth any PP (i.e. at a 1:5 exchange rate for example) or even a tie breaker. Maybe a good variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
In my latest play, the ending was very anticlimactic.

Both games I played in had exciting endings for some players and not-so exciting for others. But, both games were close enough at the end with enough scoring tweaks where we didn't know who was going to win until we tallied all of the points. Usually when players did not have an exciting finish, it was because they had very few cubes to play on their last turn or two.

In my most recent game, I wasted a few cubes at the end but also made a clever (in my mind) move to pick up a joker tile on my second-to-last turn so that I could get a different joker tile on my last turn that connected my cities to give me 10 points instead of 4 points (and gave me enough gold to pay the tribute).

That's part of what makes this game fun... there are a lot of ways to use your cards and cubes (especially later in the game) to maneuver into a decent number of points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
kneumann wrote:
In my latest play, the ending was very anticlimactic. Without any special abilities, once you buy PPs, buy a district, deliver all your goods and build the cards, the wall is the only thing left to use remaining cubes on. I was a bit surprised when I first played that any remaining money was not worth any PP (i.e. at a 1:5 exchange rate for example) or even a tie breaker. Maybe a good variant?

Seems to me that if you have a lot of leftover cubes, then you are generating too many cubes. There is a tradeoff between "few cubes now" and "lots of cubes later" and one of the considerations is that "lots of cubes later" is not always worth as much as it seems at first blush.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad N
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:
Seems to me that if you have a lot of leftover cubes, then you are generating too many cubes. There is a tradeoff between "few cubes now" and "lots of cubes later" and one of the considerations is that "lots of cubes later" is not always worth as much as it seems at first blush.

I think this is what happened in my case. I thought more cubes was almost always better. My second play through proved me wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
dkeisen wrote:
kneumann wrote:

I agree. Although you do have to work with what the dice give you. A lot of high numbers were being rolled so that may have been a factor.

Any thoughts on the extra money generated? We all try to build up our cube to money conversion throughout the game to buy PPs but at a certain point those cards are no longer helpful. Do you take a slower approach to generating money at the risk of not being able to buy PPs early or go for these cards earlier knowing they may be not as valuable later in the game?

We also had very few End of Game cards come out during the game so that also contributed to the lackluster ending.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corin A. Friesen
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bnordeng wrote:
kneumann wrote:
In my latest play, the ending was very anticlimactic.

Both games I played in had exciting endings ...

My last play with 2 players was decided by a point. Or not? We weren't sure, because we bumped the board. So I don't know whether I won on a tiebreaker, or I lost by a point. But what I do know is that the game was tight and close.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.