Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any tips you might suggest on learning how to play the game?

The rulebook seems very intimidating to me, and highly complex. I've struggled with games like this in the past, most notably a few of the GMT games, and found them very difficult.

Games that I have learned with a bit of practice are games such as "Paths Of Glory" and "Here I Stand".

Luckily I have a dedicated group of gamers who would be willing to try Republic Of Rome, but we are most used to simpler games such as Fantasy Flight- "Runewars", Twilight Imperium", "Batllestar Galactica" and such.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
The game is relatively simple even though the rules imply otherwise. I think the main speed bump is 1) they jump right into the game without really telling you the overall specifics and 2) the Forum phase is a killer.

The forum phase takes like 5 seconds per player, but they detour for every possible card and situation and so it is one of the longest sections. Once you get past that, it becomes a little more linear and on task.

I will send you a GeekMail that I sent to another new player. Hopefully, it will help you cut through some of the mystique. I am planning on sprucing it up to make it a full-blown article. So please give me any feedback and I will work it in when I write it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ewan Anderson
United Kingdom
Ipswich
Suffolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the geekmail- I'll give it a read through before I try and learn the rules for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Margewich
United States
Clifton
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too, have suffered through this manual....twice, and I love reading manuals. I agree that the problem with the manual is jumping right into the details before giving the reader a "big picture" look at the game. It reads like a dictionary. Voting is this....., A Vote is this..., A Senator is this ... A Faction is this.... The setup isn't even explained until the end of the rules in the scenario section....huh? Half the time while I was reading the rules I was wondering if the cards were in separate piles face-down chosen at random, or if they were chosen face up, or if, or if ... It's much like putting together a puzzle without a photo of the completed picture. I had to wonder if I read the thing backwards. This is a distraction to the reader who should be understanding the text, not wondering if he/she is looking at things from the right perspective.

That being said, I'm really excited to play this game. OK, I've read of the errata..I'll get over that. The game looks great and now I'm starting to get a feel for the play...I think.

I wouldn't mind getting a copy of your GeekMail Brian...if you wouldn't mind.

Thanks

...on second thought, maybe I'm just too stupid for a game like this...could be.blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
glenn69 wrote:
...on second thought, maybe I'm just too stupid for a game like this...could be.blush

I doubt it. It just takes the "click" I think to see what is going on. Once you have the background and overview, then it makes sense and reading the rules again will be much clearer. GeekMail on the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcturus2006 wrote:
Games that I have learned with a bit of practice are games such as "Paths Of Glory" and "Here I Stand".

RoR is not nearly as complex as either of those titles. The game mechanics are not difficult at all. The most difficult part of the game is working with the other players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martyn Joines
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was the fortunate recipient of the extremely helpful mail that Brian refers to, which allowed me to see what steps really mattered in the first couple of rounds, and helped to unravel the Forum Phase - which seems to be the trickiest part of the Basic Game rulebook.

Once I'd read Brian's mail (which I hope he can find the time to make available to all), I scanned through Dick Leban's step-by-step "Outline and Reference for VG's RoR" at: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/52416/outline-and-refe....

I then set the board up and played through the excellent playback example at http://spotlightongames.com/playback/ror0.html. This is uncredited (as far as I could see - but the spotlight site may be owned by Rick Heli?) - and refers to the Avalon Hill version - but I found it incredibly useful to play through all six turns taking the roles of all five players. It took two evenings, but was well worth it - I emerged with a much clearer understanding of how the game flowed.

There appear to be some minor errors in the playback example (or perhaps in my reading of it) - for instance, the names of the senators Acilius and Aelius are sometimes confused during the first couple of turns, and the author sometimes refers to what appears to be the wrong player (e.g. referring to the player 'Edwin' instead of the player 'Arthur') - but these minor issues can be deduced quite easily with the board set up in front of you. It's not quite so easy (nor perhaps quite so important) to keep track of the individual senator and faction treasuries and match them to the figures in the playback - but don't let that deter you.

With the help of Brian's explanatory mail, Dick's step-by-step guide, the comprehensive playback example at spotlightongames.com, and the RoR rulebook to hand, I went from frustrated, lost novice to someone who now at least understands how to play. All I need now is people to play against!

In the meantime, I'm going to set up a five-man game and play all five parts myself - and see how it goes.

Cheers
TrapperJ
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Cortez
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ColtsFan76 wrote:
The game is relatively simple even though the rules imply otherwise. I think the main speed bump is 1) they jump right into the game without really telling you the overall specifics and 2) the Forum phase is a killer.

The forum phase takes like 5 seconds per player, but they detour for every possible card and situation and so it is one of the longest sections. Once you get past that, it becomes a little more linear and on task.

I will send you a GeekMail that I sent to another new player. Hopefully, it will help you cut through some of the mystique. I am planning on sprucing it up to make it a full-blown article. So please give me any feedback and I will work it in when I write it up.

Has anyone given any thought to making a youtube video on how to play this game? You could break it up into steps. Brian? I think you would do really well here! And VG and the rest of the community would worship the ground that grass and other illustrious vegetation spring up upon every tread you make.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bachman
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.amarriner.com/ror/ includes many great resources, including a Primer and RoR 101. They are older files based on the AH version, but the concept of the game (apparently) hasn't changed much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I finally got around to formatting and expanding the "infamous" geekmail. I'd appreciate constructive criticism to make it more useful.

Republic of Rome Rules Explained (Valley Games edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
upandawaygames.com
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There appear to be some minor errors in the playback example (or perhaps in my reading of it) - for instance, the names of the senators Acilius and Aelius are sometimes confused during the first couple of turns, and the author sometimes refers to what appears to be the wrong player (e.g. referring to the player 'Edwin' instead of the player 'Arthur')

Aha, thanks for the tips. These should all be fixed now, as well as a few other things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.