Subject: A few questions... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys,

I was able to make a trade for the Core set and the Epic battles and Ancient Enemies chapter packs. Looking through the rules and reading the cards, I'm very impressed with what I see so far. I do have a few questions, however...

The core set has four pre-made decks, each marked with a S, B, etc.These decks consist of House cards (with the shield), neutral cards (blank shields), event cards (with the birds along the side), and the plot cards.

Once I get into deck building then, the neutral and event cards are the cards that can be mixed and matched with the different houses, correct?

How are plot cards used in deck construction? Can any house use any plot cards (barring other restrictions)? OR should I keep the plot cards associated with the house as listed?

The rulebook mentiones Agenda cards but I dont' see any in my core set. Are they a later addition?

THe expansions I got are black-bordered. I'm one of those who would prefer consistenmcy in my cards... has that cycle of cards ever been reprinted with white borders? Will we see white borders in future printings? If the answer is no and no I guess I could finish out the cycle, otherwise I might just wait.

One more thing... I've never read the books and so have no idea of how the House decks might be themed to match source material. WOuld someone be able to give me a quick rundown (Stark is speedy, Lannister has heavy hitters, etc.) so I can find a house that suits my playing style?

Thanks!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
Hi guys,Once I get into deck building then, the neutral and event cards are the cards that can be mixed and matched with the different houses, correct?

Actually, you can put ANY card into any house's deck unless the card says "House X Only". However, if you put a card with one house's shield into another's house's deck you must pay 2 extra gold to play it from your hand. Neutral cards, of course, do not carry such a penalty.

Quote:
How are plot cards used in deck construction? Can any house use any plot cards (barring other restrictions)? OR should I keep the plot cards associated with the house as listed?

Any house can use any plot card as long as it does not say "House X Only." I definitely recommend changing the plot cards up from the ones included in the core.

Quote:
The rulebook mentiones Agenda cards but I dont' see any in my core set. Are they a later addition?

They're a later addition. You'll start seeing them in the Time for Ravens cycle of cards. There are currently seven agendas available with more on the way.

Quote:
THe expansions I got are black-bordered. I'm one of those who would prefer consistenmcy in my cards... has that cycle of cards ever been reprinted with white borders? Will we see white borders in future printings? If the answer is no and no I guess I could finish out the cycle, otherwise I might just wait.

As far as has been revealed, those packs will never be reprinted with white borders. The first cycle was created before all of the design concepts for the LCG were finalized, which is why they have a different border. However, there are some very good cards in there so I suggest completing that cycle.

Quote:
One more thing... I've never read the books and so have no idea of how the House decks might be themed to match source material. WOuld someone be able to give me a quick rundown (Stark is speedy, Lannister has heavy hitters, etc.) so I can find a house that suits my playing style?

Sure thing:

Baratheon - power grabbing (rush), high power characters, weak on intrigue

Greyjoy - location control, discarding from your opponent's deck, bonuses for winning unopposed challenges, good at saving characters, weak on intrigue

Lannister - high gold income, good card drawing, kneeling opponent's characters, weak on power

Martell - Revenge (triggering effects when they lose a challenge), manipulating icons, good events, weak on power

Stark - Strong military, killing opponent's character's directly, good defense, weak intrigue

Targaryen - character burn (direct damage, often with kill effects), card recursion, attachment control, high dependence on gold/influence for many of their effects

Currently Lannister is considered the top house with Stark at the bottom. This may change with the next deluxe expansion, Lords of Winter, which will focus on Stark.

Oh, and congrats on getting a core set in trade! Those things are damned hard to get hold of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:

Any house can use any plot card as long as it does not say "House X Only." I definitely recommend changing the plot cards up from the ones included in the core.

But how well balanced are the Plot Cards? I would hate to see seven overpowered Plot Cards be used again and again for each House. Would some sort of Card Draft system be useful here?

jeffk wrote:

Sure thing:

Baratheon - power grabbing (rush), high power characters, weak on intrigue

Greyjoy - location control, discarding from your opponent's deck, bonuses for winning unopposed challenges, good at saving characters, weak on intrigue

Lannister - high gold income, good card drawing, kneeling opponent's characters, weak on power

Martell - Revenge (triggering effects when they lose a challenge), manipulating icons, good events, weak on power

Stark - Strong military, killing opponent's character's directly, good defense, weak intrigue

Targaryen - character burn (direct damage, often with kill effects), card recursion, attachment control, high dependence on gold/influence for many of their effects

Currently Lannister is considered the top house with Stark at the bottom. This may change with the next deluxe expansion, Lords of Winter, which will focus on Stark.

Thanks a bunch. I'm big on money to generate effects in any game so it sounds like Lannister is best for me.

jeffk wrote:

Oh, and congrats on getting a core set in trade! Those things are damned hard to get hold of these days.

Thanks! I've been on the lookout for a while now and as soon as a guy in Colorado put it on his trade list I made him an offer. He got my Call of Cthulhu LCG with two Asylum packs in exchange.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
jeffk wrote:

But how well balanced are the Plot Cards? I would hate to see seven overpowered Plot Cards be used again and again for each House. Would some sort of Card Draft system be useful here?

I would say there's only one plot card that people consider "overpowered" - Valar Morghulis, which kills every character in play. Even with that card there's not complete consensus that it's overpowered thanks to it's low gold income and zero initiative & claim. It is, however, generally agreed to be a powerful plot that fits a wide variety of deck builds. In some, however, it would be a clearly poor choice. A deck with expensive characters that rely on attachments, for example, would probably not want to include Valar.

I have yet to hear or experience that players include the same plots over and over. You really need to tailor your plot cards to your particular deck. Having plots that do not match your deck can turn an otherwise excellent deck into a poor performer. A draft system would probably not work very well.

The only real "auto include" plots I can think of are the "Fury" plots from the Ancient Enemies pack. Pretty much everyone includes the appropriate Fury plot for their house when they build a deck thanks to the high gold and initiative values. The plot effects are also pretty good as long as you're matched up against the appropriate house (and a few of the effects are great, like Baratheon's Fury of the Stag).

AGoT's plot mechanism is very well refined. Powerful effects tend to have low income/intiative and high gold/initiative plots tend to have less dramatic effects. The result is a fairly well balanced selection of plots. As you get more packs your plot choices will increase and I think that you'll see that there's really not much to worry about regarding repetitive plot choices.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, very helpful... thanks.

I plan on playing the game with some casual gaming buddies who are into the books and the GoT board game. I don't see them going out to buy their own sets so my set would be the only one used. As fro deckbuilding, I imagine we would probably have to keep it simple out of necessity. I figure I would design some pre-constructed House decks that allow some room for adding and reomving Event and neutral cards. A card draft for the Plot cards seems like a reasonable approach for such circumstances.

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ANother question... I noticed a lot of people trading away their GoT CCG cards. Is it worthwhile to acquire some of the older cards just for the sake of variety in a casual gaming format? WHat percentage of the CCG cards have already been reprinted in LCG format?

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
bwridge wrote:
ANother question... I noticed a lot of people trading away their GoT CCG cards. Is it worthwhile to acquire some of the older cards just for the sake of variety in a casual gaming format? WHat percentage of the CCG cards have already been reprinted in LCG format?

Brian

For casual gaming it's probably OK, but the LCG has gone in a slightly different direction from the CCG from what I understand. The overall power level is lower and card draw is much more difficult. As a result you may find the older CCG cards are overpowered in the LCG environment. Still, if you put some limits on them regarding number in a deck or whatever I'm guessing you could probably make it work out OK.

Honestly, though, the LCG card pool is pretty rich now with 19 released packs, 2 deluxe expansions and no end in sight. There's at least one more deluxe expansion coming (probably more) and the fourth cycle of cards has just started. For either casual or more serious play I think there's more than enough to choose from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damon Stone
United States
Dallas
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are going to have some deck building options available to the players, I'd suggest building your way up to 80 card decks (start off by just adding whatever house appropriate cards are available, and then splitting neutrals to complement theme or shore up weaknesses) and then suggest your players strip 15-20 cards from the deck. This reductive deck customization tends to be faster and easier for this situation for your players, and requires less fine-tuning, or worrying over-much about balancing each deck.

Regarding plots, drafting is a good way of handling it, as is the reductive method (10 plots and the players eliminate 3 from the plot deck).

Obviously the reductive method requires a somewhat larger card pool than you currently have, but if your players are at all keen at customization it will be a richer experience. If they aren't then I'd avoid it all together and stick with building everything ahead of time.

If you want to handle neutrals in a "fair" fashion you can always draft them as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.