Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to those who voted in the Top 20 round which you can find -> here. 64 users participated with 877 votes cast!

Its getting tough now. Evidence of that is in the Marx Brothers films. An astonishing four of them had made it through to the Top 20, but only two make it to the Top 10. Some other comedy favourites just couldn't cut it when it comes down to the best of the best.

An early indicator of the eventual winner is the films with the most "Best" ratings. Here are all those that got the most 'Best' ratings, with 10 or more:

40 Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
22 The Princess Bride (1987)
21 Young Frankenstein (1974)
19 Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
16 Ghostbusters (1984)
14 Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
12 Blazing Saddles (1974)
11 The Big Lebowski (1998)

All eight of these made the Top 10 on average scores, what were the other two though?
Holy Grail remains a massive hit despite the competition hotting up and was voted 'Best' by almost 2/3rds of those that rated it. Ghostbusters fell back down from 2nd the table, while The Princess Bride returns to favour. Life of Brian continues its slow slide down the table while Young Frankenstein continues to rise. Blazing Saddles also re-appears to just make the cut for the Top 10 (it only just made the cut for the Top 20 and I thought it was going to go out last round).

The the cut for the Top 10 is based on average ratings for the last round. To calculate this I awarded points for each rating: Best (4), Awesome (3), Great (2), Good (1), Okay (0).

The Top Ten based on average rating for the last round are:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
The Princess Bride (1987)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Ghostbusters (1984)
Duck Soup (1933)
Animal Crackers (1930)
Blazing Saddles (1974)

So the top 2 remain the same as last time. Young Frankenstein continues to rise as do Dr Strangelove, Life of Brian and Big Lebowski.
Duck Soup and Animal Crackers are our other two entries into the Top 10 - scoring high averages despite their lack of 'Best' ratings because less than half the voters have seen them!
Shaun of the Dead, Wrong Trousers and Ferris Bueller all crash out of the Top 10 and so miss the cut for this poll. This is Spinal Tap also just misses the cut.

So in terms of making the cut, how did our 4 eras do in terms of films making the Top 10?
1970s and Older: 7 films
1980s: 2 films
1990s: 1 films
2000s: ZERO films

Wow, so new comedy really doesn't stand up to the old stuff! Shaun of the Dead was closest to making the Top Ten of films made in the 2000s.

The last 10 have been re-seeded based on their average rating in the last poll and split them into 2 brackets of 5 films.
The top 2 or so from each bracket will go through to the next round. Select only 1 'Best' in each bracket, ideally by rating them all first and then upgrading an 'Awesome'. Here we go:

Poll: Comedy Movies Top 10
1. Rate as comedy movies the films you have seen (rate only 1 as Best in each bracket)
  Best Awesome Great Good Okay
Monty Python and the Holy Grail (1975)
Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb (1964)
Ghostbusters (1984)
Duck Soup (1933)
Blazing Saddles (1974)
2. Rate as comedy movies the films you have seen (rate only 1 as Best in each bracket)
  Best Awesome Great Good Okay
The Princess Bride (1987)
Young Frankenstein (1974)
The Big Lebowski (1998)
Monty Python's Life of Brian (1979)
Animal Crackers (1930)
      53 answers
Poll created by 1000rpm

There is a notification thread for my polls which you can subscribe to if you don't want to miss the latest one:
1000rpm's Polls Notification Thread
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man this was tough
Mostly like them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
I rated none of them less than awesome (keeping within the one best per bracket restriction, natch.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.