7 Posts

Tide of Iron» Forums » Rules

Subject: op fire, smoke and movement rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bart clement
Belgium
flag msg tools
when a engineer squad places a smoke marker in his starting hex and then moves behind the smoke, does it take opfire in his starting hex?

thx
bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nagato Fujibayashi

Athens
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess not... op fire triggers when the target unit moves from one hex to another, and the shot is taken in the "destination" hex so to say(in your case, since your squad lay smoke in the original hex your opponent has no more LOS to the "destination" hex behind it, so you can safely move into it).

This is the rule as I remember it, please someone correct if I remember wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OP Fire is triggered by the expense of movement points like moving or uploading from a truck. The action of placing smoke dosn't require MP.

The move after the placement of smoke can triger Op if the LOS is still clear. The Op will be executed in the new hex, the destination hex. It never happens at the starting hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean
United States
Mill Creek
Washington
flag msg tools
Sk'Doosh!
badge
The source of a Christian ethic is not the reality of one’s own self, not the reality of the world, nor is it the reality of norms and values. It is the reality of God that is revealed in Jesus Christ.- Bonhoeffer
mbmbmbmbmb
shinobu wrote:
I guess not... op fire triggers when the target unit moves from one hex to another, and the shot is taken in the "destination" hex so to say(in your case, since your squad lay smoke in the original hex your opponent has no more LOS to the "destination" hex behind it, so you can safely move into it).

This is the rule as I remember it, please someone correct if I remember wrong.

I think this is correct too.
I believe Emil 109 is also correct on the point he's making.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bart clement
Belgium
flag msg tools
I'm playing the scenario Stavelot Express
scenario detail says: "Engineer units only need to spend 1 movement point to place a smoke marker"
so does this mean that in this case OP is triggered, if you take the MP way into account like Emil said?
or did I miss something?
the smoke hex is in LOS, the destination hex is blocked by the smoke (is evident, but just to be clear)

thanks for the fast reactions!
bart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yiannis Avramandis
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
page 32, second bullet: if an enemy unit spends movements points for a purpose other than moving into a new hex (for example, using a special ability, or entering or exiting an entrenchment), this does not trigger Op Fire.

page 46, Entrenchments: exiting an entrenchment may trigger enemy Op Fire.

I think the second rule about entrenchments is correct.

So finaly looks like the placement of smoke with one or two MP does not trigger Op Fire.

I was sure the opposite was correct blush.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bart clement
Belgium
flag msg tools
thx
is clear now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.