26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Discussing Retailers

Subject: Annoyed at my first eurogame purchase rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Smart
msg tools
My first eurogame puchase of Settlers of Catan from Maddison Games arrived all sealed and fairly quickly but i only have 8 grain cards and i have 31 brick cards. im also missing a road building card. ive sent an email explaining the situation and im waiting on a reply.

anyone else had this problem?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I haven't ordered from them.. so I can't help you, but have you tried contacting mayfair games directly?

A lot of publishers are good about sending replacements for their games.

It wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email now and reduce the amount of time you wait for a replacement from either place
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldon Nichol
United States
Prineville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ranoobu wrote:
I haven't ordered from them.. so I can't help you, but have you tried contacting mayfair games directly?

A lot of publishers are good about sending replacements for their games.

It wouldn't hurt to shoot them an email now and reduce the amount of time you wait for a replacement from either place

I agree. It sounds more like a maufacturing problem than a retailer's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Kroon
Netherlands
Zwolle
Overijssel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If it was sealed the shop can contact their supplier. But most of the time it is quicker to contact the publisher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Let's Play Two!
United States
Collinsville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had similar problems with maybe 4 different games. In a couple of cases I went through the retailer and a couple of cases through the publisher. The missing/damaged pieces were replaced relatively quickly every time. This hobby has some great people supporting it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Contact Mayfair Games they should send replacement cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its not at all unusual to have games that have incorrect/missing/damaged parts even though they are sealed.
The first recourse should be to send email to the publisher (in this case presumably mayfair) and ask them to get you a replacement.

This is the same when you buy any major assembly required item from any store. For instance, BBQ grills, bikes, etc. They often have a big red paper inside asking you to contact them first and not the retailer.

The game store almost never has parts on hand and they'd have to open a sealed box to get you those parts, then they are stuck with an unsaleable item. Plus, it wasn't thier fault it was missing parts anyway. An example exception would be if the box was damaged and they weren't selling it as box damaged.

This is why I count my components the first thing I do with most of my purchases.

Most game publishers are very good about getting replacement parts sent out right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lowell Kempf
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My, um, first copy whistle of Settlers of Catan had only four settlements but five cities in each color. I contacted Mayfair and they responded quickly, sending me to the needed settlements. I got to keep the extra cities.

I have had good luck dealing with them.devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonny Lawless
United States
Bountiful
Utah
flag msg tools
Four crazy kids and happy as a clam!
badge
My name is Glenn! Long have I carried Cyrus's hopes and dreams, and now I bear the Masamune as well! Henceforth, I claim them as my own! I shall slay the Fiendlord Magus and restore our honor!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had missing mayfair parts before. I contacted them, got no reply, and got my parts just over a month later.

So I'd wager they're reliable, but not quick.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jonnylawless wrote:
I've had missing mayfair parts before. I contacted them, got no reply, and got my parts just over a month later.

So I'd wager they're reliable, but not quick.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/497098/mayfair-games
He mentions in a more recent thread taht he got his settler parts from mayfair in 2 weeks.
So wait time is YMMV I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smart
msg tools
i sent an email to maddison games telling them what i had recieved and their reply was "Can you please tell us how many of each card you should have and we can get these out to you." which is a bit of an odd request, i mean its not like its a big secret. i was going to contact mayfair but i bought it to play on holiday with the family soon so i cant wait for parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
david88 wrote:
i sent an email to maddison games telling them what i had recieved and their reply was "Can you please tell us how many of each card you should have and we can get these out to you." which is a bit of an odd request, i mean its not like its a big secret. i was going to contact mayfair but i bought it to play on holiday with the family soon so i cant wait for parts.

They must be planning on opening one up to send to you and want to know how many. They are asking you so they can confirm an exact number to send to you. They want to prevent issues such as sending too few. Plus some games have incorrect or incomplete components lists. I'd look at that as trying to give you good service, rather than an "odd request".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kreps
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or they are going to take your request and pass it on to Mayfair Games who send them the cards they request so they can send them to you. This helps them by avoiding opening a box they won't be able to sell anymore. It also would obviously take longer than just contacting Mayfair directly. Publishers always have spare parts (as long as the game hasn't been out of print for a while). Retailers either lose money on parts requests or will take longer by getting them from the publisher.

Andrew
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gnomekin wrote:
I contacted Mayfair and they responded quickly, sending me to the needed settlements.

What were the settlements like when you got there? I'll bet it was a neat trip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hear you talking...

...I am still annoyed at my first eurogame purchase, too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of our very first eurogame purchases over 10 years ago had several pieces missing (anthills from SiSiMiZi). But about 500 games later that is the only one that ever had anything missing! So don't be too put off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
volnon wrote:
I hear you talking...

...I am still annoyed at my first eurogame purchase, too!

Quick, call FFG and have them send you a replacement of Twilight Imperium 3. That should help ease your pain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
England
Harrow
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
grant5 wrote:
Gnomekin wrote:
I contacted Mayfair and they responded quickly, sending me to the needed settlements.

What were the settlements like when you got there? I'll bet it was a neat trip!

Tres bien, monsieur. I skimmed over that and didn't notice. Nice to see someone awake enough to give me a good laugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Smart
msg tools
Atlantix2000 wrote:
Or they are going to take your request and pass it on to Mayfair Games who send them the cards they request so they can send them to you. This helps them by avoiding opening a box they won't be able to sell anymore. It also would obviously take longer than just contacting Mayfair directly. Publishers always have spare parts (as long as the game hasn't been out of print for a while). Retailers either lose money on parts requests or will take longer by getting them from the publisher.

Andrew

Damn, that sounds awkward. I assumed they'd send me the cards and get a reimbursment from the manufacturer like my shop does. Ahh well, live and learn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fledermaushaus wrote:
One of our very first eurogame purchases over 10 years ago had several pieces missing (anthills from SiSiMiZi). But about 500 games later that is the only one that ever had anything missing! So don't be too put off.

You are lucky. I'd say a good 10% of the games I've purchased have had pieces messed up, incorrect, missing, etc. Some of them I dont bother doing anything about, for instance in my copy of power grid one green house looks mutated and a blue house is a square cube. With Wings of War, I got an early printing that had a couple incorrect maneuver cards. FFG was nice enough to send me out replacements right away even though I told them I purchased my copy used.

david88 wrote:
Atlantix2000 wrote:

Andrew

Damn, that sounds awkward. I assumed they'd send me the cards and get a reimbursment from the manufacturer like my shop does. Ahh well, live and learn.

They might, just depends. The thing is, even if they get the replacement card parts from the manufacture, they are left with a box they opened that they can't sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If only more people were more annoyed at their first eurogame purchase, gaming might be a bit more diverse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich S
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
david88 wrote:

Always, always contact the publisher first. They will 99% of the time have spare parts on hand. I've had replacement parts arrive in my mail in two days after my request was sent. Out four requests I have made for parts, only one took longer than four business days and that's because the company had shut down for Christmas break.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant
United States
Cuyahoga Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
One of the best gaming weekends in Ohio since 2010. Search facebook for "BOGA Weekend Retreat" for more info!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I cracked open my brand new copy of Le Havre and found that I had the wrong distribution of counter sheets, I posted to the Le Havre forums. Hanno, the publisher, responded with these instructions:
Hanno wrote:
Please contact your dealer. We have taken care of all eventualities and provided our distributors with a certain number of replacement parts.
Your dealer can then have the distributor send you the parts.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3379944#3379944

The dealer, however, couldn't get me the replacement parts, and their only option was to have me send the game back for replacement. It was a really annoying situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boards & Bits
United States
Spokane Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
grant5 wrote:
When I cracked open my brand new copy of Le Havre and found that I had the wrong distribution of counter sheets, I posted to the Le Havre forums. Hanno, the publisher, responded with these instructions:
Hanno wrote:
Please contact your dealer. We have taken care of all eventualities and provided our distributors with a certain number of replacement parts.
Your dealer can then have the distributor send you the parts.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/3379944#3379944

The dealer, however, couldn't get me the replacement parts, and their only option was to have me send the game back for replacement. It was a really annoying situation.

Even though Le Havre is in English, it actually came from Europe. So there is no US publisher for the game. This will make it more difficult for everyone involved.

Hopefully you were able to get the issue resolved.

Tom
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve+Jackie McKeogh
United Kingdom
Okehampton
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yargo wrote:
Fledermaushaus wrote:

You are lucky...

Hmmm, I obviously tempted fate there - the very next game I buy, Titania, has 16 black towers missing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.