Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conundrum
So. I'd like to ship an item BANG! The Bullet! for free (worldwide) in my GamesForGeekGoldAuction. The only problem is how expensive it is to ship.

I'm wondering if I'm doing something wrong and looking for advice from people.

My game is max 2pnds. And the "box" (hasn't arrived yet do to a snow blizzard in my area) is a reasonable size, guessing 4x4x12 inches.
I threw my own copy of the bullet casing away 2 yrs ago when I packed the cards with other card games in a good large case.

In an experiment I tried 3 different shipping companies (UPS, DHL, FEDEX) to croatia. It costs ~180 from two of them and ~160 for the third guy.

Should the boardgame be customs declared? And should the game be dutiable?

In addition, does it seem like I am doing something horribly wrong in data entering for my estimate?

Is the problem maybe specific to shipping to croatia?

Any lessons learned from other people in shipping games for the auctions?

[Edited:To add BGG game link instead of just text. And to add Geeklist entry link instead of just text. Still learning to use all the BGG tools]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the whole thing weighs less than 4lbs, then you can use first class mail, which is something like $15 to Canada, and around $25 elsewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
Ash nazg durbatulûk
badge
#YOLO!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a new game (i.e. shrinkwrapped cards and box, unpunched chits, and the like) there may be customs fees and VAT, depending on the target country. I recently ordered from Flying Frog Productions, and had to pay a small VAT fee. So, yes - you should at least mention this fact.

Big parcels from foreign countries are almost certainly inspected (opened or screened), depending on the origin. This is to prevent drugs, fake pharmacy products or weapons, etc. entering the country.

You should make a customs declaration if it is a new game, otherwise mark it as a gift with the rough value. Remember to insert an invoice for a new game, as the customs inspectors will base the amount of fees (if applicable) on that value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
If the whole thing weighs less than 4lbs, then you can use first class mail, which is something like $15 to Canada, and around $25 elsewhere.

Ahh. So you are saying regular USPS mail will take international? If thats the case then...phew....much better.

Engoduun wrote:
If it's a new game (i.e. shrinkwrapped cards and box, unpunched chits, and the like) there may be customs fees and VAT, depending on the target country. I recently ordered from Flying Frog Productions, and had to pay a small VAT fee. So, yes - you should at least mention this fact.

Big parcels from foreign countries are almost certainly inspected (opened or screened), depending on the origin. This is to prevent drugs, fake pharmacy products or weapons, etc. entering the country.

You should make a customs declaration if it is a new game, otherwise mark it as a gift with the rough value. Remember to insert an invoice for a new game, as the customs inspectors will base the amount of fees (if applicable) on that value.

And what you are telling me is to open the game before sending it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
RabidCicada wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

Ahh. So you are saying regular USPS mail will take international? If thats the case then...phew....much better.

Hell yes. If that were not the case, I'd never be shipping anything abroad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Take a look at First Class Mail International Prices. Also, depending on how friendly your local post office is, you can usually ask the person at the desk to tell you how much it would take to mail a package to a random country.

Alternatively, you could just let me win the auction and ship it for super cheap up the East Coast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well mister Celiborn...You currently have a 3.26% chance of winning the auction as it stands currently.

Might want to give me more geekgo*cough*, I mean, step up your bidding to increase your chances .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.