United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Woot! Superjail is finally out on DVD!

I don't have access to cable, but I caught a show that my friend Tivo'd. This is easily the most visually overwhelming/psychotic I've seen. I liken it getting into a car turning on the engine and you discover that the last driver was listening to speed metal at full blast.

If you haven't seen it, it is like a show dedicated to push the tunnel scene in Willy Wonka even farther out on the end. It's like they set out solely to stimulate as much of your brain as possible at the same time.

Relentless. Ultra-violent. Trippy. Hilarious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott A. Reed
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mb
SuperJail is insanely awesome. I think of the show as what it would be if someone animated all of the ultra-violent doodles on junior-high school boy's notebook.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen literally about 20 seconds of this, and it was as if they specifically made it for me. Ordered.

For more metalhead's-notebook vibe, only in comic form, may I suggest Powr Mastrs?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skelebone wrote:
SuperJail is insanely awesome. I think of the show as what it would be if someone animated all of the ultra-violent doodles on junior-high school boy's notebook.

All at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I for one can't stand the show. It has the highest ratio of busyness to content I've ever seen. The first and only time I watched the show, I kept waiting for the action to slow down for half a second to make way for some kind of plot, but it never did. I guess that's why some people like it, but I just don't have the stomach to watch it. It's also not funny at all; it's just a pointless gore-fest. To me it's just the latest step in the steadily declining quality of Adult Swim.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Thorp
United States
Granite Falls
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
"Come on! Come on! Come and get it, baby! Come on! I don't got all day! Come on! Come on! Come on you bastard! Come on, you too! Oh, you want some of this? "
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
I for one can't stand the show. It has the highest ratio of busyness to content I've ever seen. The first and only time I watched the show, I kept waiting for the action to slow down for half a second to make way for some kind of plot, but it never did. I guess that's why some people like it, but I just don't have the stomach to watch it. It's also not funny at all; it's just a pointless gore-fest. To me it's just the latest step in the steadily declining quality of Adult Swim.

Sadly, I have to agree. The only thing that I like about the show is the kick ass theme song.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:

I get your reaction. I like plot and story. In most cases I really need them to enjoy something. But if something is completely visual, I'd prefer little to no plot.

The best examples of this for me are the Jacques Tati films.

Sometimes story interferes with theme. Off the top of my head, Wayne's World, Avatar, and Office Space all would have been more enjoyable movies for me had they not had plots.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Leezer wrote:

I get your reaction. I like plot and story. In most cases I really need them to enjoy something. But if something is completely visual, I'd prefer little to no plot.

Sometimes story interferes with theme. Off the top of my head, Wayne's World, Avatar, and Office Space all would have been more enjoyable movies for me had they not had plots.

Sure, and I could forgive the show for having no plot if I at least found it funny. But I don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
sisteray wrote:
Leezer wrote:

Sure, and I could forgive the show for having no plot if I at least found it funny. But I don't.

That, of course, is a whole other issue.

Did I mention I've been stuck at 13 for the last 23 years?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Leezer wrote:

Maybe they should just call it what it is and change the name from "Adult Swim" to "Junior High Swim".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Goodrich
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Why can't more games have a handicapping mechanism?
badge
Becoming immortal!
mbmbmbmbmb
sisteray wrote:
Leezer wrote:

Tati is awesome. Superjail, well, I must agree with other posters that it's not so great. Not that I don't watch it when I happen upon it, visually there is a lot to see, but it doesn't add up to much for me and I don't see the humor, really. It does serve its purpose, though - as a hard hitting documentary on American life circa 20 years from now.

I do prefer it to an equally busy animated show (imported from Britain) on IFC called Modern Toss. That thing is just painful to watch. For something truly disturbing and grotesque, but in a much more productive way, try Chris Morris's Jam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leezer wrote:
sisteray wrote:
Leezer wrote:

Maybe they should just call it what it is and change the name from "Adult Swim" to "Junior High Swim".

Yeah, but parents would probably be upset if they thought that kids would be watching this (despite being the ideal target audience).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tannhauser
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
YOU ARE LIKELY TO BE EATEN BY A
badge
ɥɔʇıןƃ ʎʇıןɐǝɹ
mbmbmbmbmb
We've had the "Combaticus" episode on the DVR forever.

"I am the new god of war, bow down to Combaticus!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HiveGod wrote:

"I am the new god of war, bow down to Combaticus!"

I heart Combaticus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Combaticus.
* Four hearts allow for unparalleled speed and metabolism.
* 14 Fingers allow for a vise grip of 6,050 newtons per square meter.
* He is an individual cool cat.
* A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
flag msg tools
Heart full of soul, head full of shit
badge
Snob of the People
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finally been able to watch my DVD.

LISSEN UP FUKKERS! SUPERJAIL RULES!

Let's just say that I appreciate their aesthetic. I'm so glad that it avoids the "Adult Swim syndrome" (having a kernel of a good idea, and milking it over and over and over and over).

I would like it if they made it more violent and psychedelic and psychotic. However, they should retain a plot structure. No clanging, please.

Thanks for the recommendation, Morgan.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't go out of my way for Superjail! I won't switch it off if it's on, but it's not going to find its way onto my DVR.

At least it's not the inane teen angst in mecha armor that was Code Geass.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.