Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone!

This is my second mini tutorial. In this thread I will show you how to paint Sir Alric Farrow miniature from Descent Road to Legend expansion. Final effect you can watch bellow.

Enjoy! ;)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
THE BEGINNING
I won't be writing here again about a good place for work, paints and tips how to begin, because I did it already in my Step by step Dragon Lady thread.

If you missed it you can find it here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/495240/how-to-paint-drag...

Instead we can focus already on the miniature.
Lieutenant Sir Alric Farrow is great miniature to paint. He has many details on it's armor and nice color scheme. Of course I wanted to paint him as he is shown at the picture.

First what I did it was to remove all metal leftovers with razor and file. In my figurine the places I need to remove were at the elbows, the gloves and on helmet and chainmail under the arm pits.

TIP:
This is very important step. Don't skip it. So give the miniature a couple of minutes to prepare it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MODDING THE BASE AND PRIME COLOR
Before using primer, I've modified the base with sand and skull. I won't describe it how to do it. You can also check it in the Dragon tutorial described above.

I've picked Chaos Black for my primer color.

TIP:
If you have many metalic colors it's better to go for black primer instead of white one. Colors looks more natural and overal color scheme fits better. (Of course there are exceptions like armors of high elves, but this is general rule.)

Then what I do is to pick major color of the miniature and to put it on the elements. In this case I took Shining Gold for armor elements

and Scab Red for coat

As you can see I've decided to make him tall red collar for more distinguished look.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FLAT COLORS
Then I used Boltgun Metal for silver elements of his armor

and at behind

As you can see for now everything is flat and unnatural, but we will help with this later.

TIP: As I wrote in the Dragon tutorial it's better to stick to 3,4 colors for the miniature. It looks more convincing that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Washes and Highlights
Then I've put washes on armor to make shadows and colors more convincing and then I've painted first layer of colors on the base.

... after few minutes I've put Blood Red on the coat to create first impresion of light effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highlights II, Drybrushing
Then I took miniature and using drybrushing I stronger the highlights on it. Burnished Gold for gold elements and accordingly Chainmail mixed 1:1 with Mithril Silver for metal elements.

If you are not familiar with drybrushing technique you should read about it. There are plenty of articles in the web.

here a few words of explanation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drybrush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MODDING - TELLING THE STORIES
TIP: I usualy leave painted miniature for one day to set up the colors. Especialy when you are using BLACK primer - colors can fade down very quickly and need another layer of highligts is necessary

OK. Now bread and butter of paiting the miniature. Let's do something cool with it ;-)!.
I was looking at Sir Alric and figure out that right hand is missing something. First thought - it was the head of fallen warrior, but it seems a bit creepy to me, so I decided to go with another weapon - Iron ball on the chain.
Yeah let's make it even more tough ;)

I bought metal neclace for almost no money, and cut the chain. Then with greenstuff I've made a ball.

Then I've treated it with black primer and stick to the hand with glue and very sturdy cobbler thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Syrovatka
Czech Republic
Beroun
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! Please, keep them coming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DETAILS
Then I cut the thread and put a lot of highlights on armor and base (Greav using drybrushing.(same colors as above).

Then I've put another layer of highlights on the coat with Blazing Orange.

(Same effect I used painting sorcerer from Descent)

It's easy and it looks good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bartek Rozbicki
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FINISH TOUCH
At the end I've put final details like glowing red eyes (with Scab Red and dot of Blazing Orange). and highlights on steel ball and sword (Chainmail 1:1 with Mithril Silver)

Final effect below:

Also I didn't want to repeat here plenty of tips which you can find in the thread about painting the Dragon Lady Anh'Ghor.
So if you missed it I encurage you to read it. Maybe will answer for a couple of questions.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/495240/how-to-paint-drag...

After the miniature is painted wait one night, and cover it with satin varnish. Purity Seal from Citadel will do.

And.. this is pretty much it.
If you have any questions - just ask.

Now go and tell people your stories ;)

Cheers!
Bartek
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tazar Yoot
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome job with this Alric I really like the work you did with this.

I have a VERY newbie question about miniatures. My Alric mini I just got is too big to fit into his base (the pewter piece at the bottom is too long). Is there an easy way to remedy this? Should I try to cut some of the pewter off the bottom so that it will fit into the plastic groove or should I try cutting the plastic base to make it longer to fit the pewter bar at the bottom of my miniature? What tool would be best to use?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Laliberté
Canada
Levis
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
use crazy glue or other contact glue, you can put some poster wall gum too under the base, than put contact glue. It work well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.