Acquire» Forums » Sessions

Subject: Divested of my Pride... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Floyd Sherrod
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At GameFest recently I was asked if I wanted to play Acquire. Acquire is a "10" for me on the BGG scale and a long time favorite. When I go to cons I tend to focus on games I don't normalyy get to play or had been wanting to try. It wasn’t on my target list, but how can I refuse a game of Acquire?

Leon Hendee asked me to play and we were all set to school the other three players who had never played before. Leon suggested a house rule his group normally plays with which is a third place merger bonus equal to half second place. Sounds like it would be a little more forgiving, but in the end we decided to play the rules as written since it was the other's first time. We also did something a little different which I thought was cool and made the game a little friendlier. We kept our last stock purchase face up until our next turn after which we took it into our hands (closed holdings). This eliminated the need to pay attention every second of the game.

As the game progressed, we had a situation come up I had not seen before and could find no ruling for. One player was holding six founding tiles but all chains were already active. In the end we decided she simply could not play a tile, but was of course permitted to purchase stock.

The game proceeded quickly and Leon and I found ourselves in excellent standing, with good tiles. But then, we found ourselves on the outside looking in on the first, and then the second merger, which of course is a huge disadvantage as we were horribly cash poor. The chains came on the board quickly and instead of growing, the field checker-boarded after that. So while I had great founding and merger tiles, the board was so congested so quickly, I never got a chance to play them. So we watched merger after merger and took a terrible beat down. Leon was in the same boat. That third place merger bonus might have helped! It turned out to be one of those crazy frustrating games that sometimes just happens, but Acquire is still a 10 in my book!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fhsIV wrote:
As the game progressed, we had a situation come up I had not seen before and could find no ruling for. One player was holding six founding tiles but all chains were already active. In the end we decided she simply could not play a tile, but was of course permitted to purchase stock.

That was covered since the mid-1960s in the 3M edition. I think there were three different versions of the rules with (C) 1963 on the box, and this was in the third if not earlier. It specifically says the player with six temporarily unplayable tiles does not place a tile but may buy stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.