Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Railways of the World» Forums » Rules

Subject: Couple of Rule Questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hugh Cowan
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am new to Railways of the World, and in fact all other incarnations of this game -- basically the only train game I have played before is "Ticket to Ride" (I know, it's not considered a train game, but I do like it).

After playing a couple of basic games using the Mexico map, I have a couple of questions.

1. Crossover track:

In the rules it states that you cannot remove a track once placed, but can you convert an existing section of track to a crossover one (which could be deemed as removing?).

Otherwise, I am not sure when you would place a crossover section as you usually don't know ahead of time if you want to cross routes or not.

2. Full vs Partial Hexagons:

In the rules it talks about only being able to lay track in complete hexagons, with an example showing Chicago. But it doesn't indicate in the rules whether that example is actually allowed or not.

In the Mexico map (which is the only one we have used so far), there are a number of hexagons on the coast, that appear to be partial (they are half land / half ocean), but there is a complete red hexagon enclosing that space -- does this mean that I can lay track in that space, even though it is not all land, but because it contains a complete hexagon?

3. I noticed on the Mexico map that there is a section / legend on the map that talks about "Major Routes" (can't remember the exact wording as I don't have the board in front of me), but in the rules it makes no mention of this. It would appear that if you have / own one of the routes listed you would get bonus victory points?

If so, are they given when the route is complete, or only at the end of the game?

Thanks so much for any help or additional information.

Hugh,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hcowan wrote:
1. Crossover track:

In the rules it states that you cannot remove a track once placed, but can you convert an existing section of track to a crossover one (which could be deemed as removing?).
Usually cross over track is used by two different players. The first player's plans didn't line up with the second player so they need to "cross". The second player has to pay the cost of the hex, just as the first player did, so just consider the cross over track as being two track pieces laid right on top of one another.

hcowan wrote:
2. Full vs Partial Hexagons:

In the rules it talks about only being able to lay track in complete hexagons, with an example showing Chicago. But it doesn't indicate in the rules whether that example is actually allowed or not.

In the Mexico map (which is the only one we have used so far), there are a number of hexagons on the coast, that appear to be partial (they are half land / half ocean), but there is a complete red hexagon enclosing that space -- does this mean that I can lay track in that space, even though it is not all land, but because it contains a complete hexagon?
Unlike Steam and Age of Steam where they opted for PRECISION in the maps, the RRT and RotW maps look more realistic, but create rules confusion like yours. If they printed the full border to a hex, then you can build in that hex. Think of it as building right on the coast.

hcowan wrote:
3. I noticed on the Mexico map that there is a section / legend on the map that talks about "Major Routes" (can't remember the exact wording as I don't have the board in front of me), but in the rules it makes no mention of this. It would appear that if you have / own one of the routes listed you would get bonus victory points?

If so, are they given when the route is complete, or only at the end of the game?
There is no mention of the Major Lines in the rulebook? Really? Hmmmm. The first person to connect the two cities with ALL THEIR OWN TRACK earns the bonus in VP immediately (at the end of the action in which the last piece of track was laid).

Your own track between the two cities can of course be broken into as many different "links" between intermediate cities as you like, but you cannot consider an opponent's link between two intermediate cities to be part of YOUR network that completes the Major Line. (This is sometimes confusing for new players because you CAN use other people's links to help you deliver cubes--as long as your own link is first in the chain. But when claiming Major Lines, you cannot use any opponent's links.)
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben James
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with the responses above.

#2. Be sure to pay $3000 for playing on the coastal hexes that are part-land, part-water, but contain a whole hex.

#3. The Railways of Mexico rulebook is a supplement to the Railroads of the World rulebook. The 1-page Mexico rules only discuss changes and clarifications to the base-game rules. The discussion of the Major Lines are in fact covered in the larger Railways of the World rulebook.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Cowan
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Brian & Ben for responding and clarifying the rules.

bwjames wrote:

#3. The Railways of Mexico rulebook is a supplement to the Railroads of the World rulebook. The 1-page Mexico rules only discuss changes and clarifications to the base-game rules. The discussion of the Major Lines are in fact covered in the larger Railways of the World rulebook.


I did read the main rules and never saw anything about "Major Lines", but I will take a look again -- not that it really matters as I have the answer, but just for a sanity check!!

Also, we played another game last night, and this time my wife wanted to lay track on a link that I had started, but not yet completed. I am assuming that whoever started to lay a link, is the only one that can add to it to complete the link in later actions?

Thanks again for the help!!

Hugh,
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Brokaw
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
It's not a damn moped!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You have that correct Hugh. The player who starts, but does not finish a link during 1 of his actions should mark the partial link with one of his trains so everyone knows who the partial belongs to.

Other players can thwart your plans by building their own link that may consume the city entrance you were hoping to attach to. I've seen this happen when two different people were both competing to complete the same Major Line. It is a MEAN thing to do however!

Also remember, that any partial links that still exist at the end of the "Turn" (which is a Martin Wallace confusing term to describe the 3-round sequence of actions) are blown away.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.