Subject: Initial comments rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not have the game yet but read the rules and preordered.

For now it reminds me Nexus Ops, well, kind of. There are several differencies and the same amount of similarities.

1. Quick enough, with area movement and exploration of hidden map tokens. Yes, the map is fixed, but map tokens populate the different terrain. Also number of areas is much less then in Axis&Allies for example.

2. One round dice combat. Defender or attacker (based on how combat was initiated) has an advantage though. He fires first, then only remaining units fire back. Attack rating means number of dice to roll. Defence - how much it should be rolled to hit that unit. Also units has hitpoints and one who did 2 hits may choose either to kill 2 weak units or apply both hits to one tougher.

3. There are victory points, but not exactly hidden goals. Also both sides may win by destroying all enemies.

4. All movement (as well as other actions) are done by playing cards. Generally one player plays one card, then another has opportunity to play one, then first player plays another card and so on. Players may pass or trade a card instead. After 5 such phases 1 new card is dealt per player. (cards can also be gained by capturing specific areas and locating forces there). So there is no way to move all the units at once, it is more like chess, but card-driven.

5. Some areas separated by mountains, what restricts movement for 3 of 4 units (per side). There are also roads, connecting some of areas. Moving along road is faster for some units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dmitry, thanks for the overview.

If you get back to this thread and have had a chance to play the game, could you please provide more detail regarding strategies, balance, and how you like the game? Thanks.

I hope someday I will find a copy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems I expected that someone else answer to this. Just my son doesn't really like to play Terminator. (I don't really know why, most likely he dislikes dice). So I can't provide deep thoughts yet.

As to question "how you like the game" I would say that components (except miniatures) could be better. As for gameplay it seems to me that something should be done with cards. There are several points here:

A round is divided into several phases named as 0 - 5. Every card has a number meaning a phase it could be played (and also value when trading). I didn't understand why it is numerical names instead of say "morning", "aftrenoon" or similar, and I do not see how card types linked to these numbers. For now it seems somehow haotic. But since you can't do anything without playing a _specific_ card - it all seems difficult/strange to me. May be I need to play more, not sure. For example you have some "Move" cards. Each however is to move something specific. Additionaly they have different numbers so they can be played just in that order. I'm not sure yet why it's so strange.

But I have heard positive responses on russian forums/blogs from those who played more than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since the rules and cards translation I may add something to thoughts above.

I said that I see something wrong with cards. Look, we have different cards to move units: one card moves those types, another card move any but just one etc - do you get how it is difficult to manuevre your units using that feature alone? Every card still has a number: its order and also trade value - for example Resistance can either place perfect M1A2 or trade it for 4 different cards - easy choice, still without order complexity. Most cards have a base choice between 2, without even trading. And it's a game where you can do nothing without playing a proper card.

For me it seems a little complex without understanding why. So if we can play cards at any order - would it be worse? Not sure. Still seems easier.

Also many cards have very varied effects, and it may lead to many questions during a game.

Finally I would prefer to make most of the cards without any text and clearer. For example Scout and Move actions could have corresponding icons, so I can see their effect on the fly. Currently it is not so easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today I've played full game with my son. I presented the game as "lighter variant of Axis&Allies", but finally it took probably 3-4 hours for us

It was really long battle, still no near to be boring at any time. Instead it was really close to losing by someone whole game, but it was not easy to decide who is winning either.

The card mechanic, if it seems somehow chaotic, really works, somehow. Many difficult choices at least. So the only major issue seems overall component quality (except for miniatures), including how text on cards aligned etc.

Near the game end my resistance forces were attacking last/3rd SkyNet factory and I had 7 VPs already. A few turns before there was no any factory, just 3 Hunters left. But you can't however destroy a factory without proper Mission card (and conditions). Finally SkyNet developed their top level T-1 and used a Nuclear Strike against my offensive (it was 2nd or even 3rd time already). That version of T-1 requires 3 hits of 5-6's to be destroyed. Minefields destroyed many of them, still I had to withdraw.

Last turns I had just 2 abrams with 2 hideouts destroyed, but 9 VPs. 4 T-1 were ready to crush me. I've managed to divide my forces, recruit an infantry unit and helicopter it to SkyNet factory, fully defended. SkyNet had only 1 attack card that turn and decided to attack my abrams, thinking of infantry as a joke. And the factory was destroyed bringing me last 10th VP. It wasn't really bad decision, as abrams could bring me VPs using exploration too, but only 1 attack card was available to SkyNet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry Vensko
Belarus
Minsk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 more games and I would say that Terminator is all about hand management. So it's not really like Axis&Allies or Nexus Ops.

Something like "Hannibal: Rome vs Carthagen" with dice combat and with more complicated hand management.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.