Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This was an ACTS/Cyberboard game between myself and Kristian. I was playing the Central Powers This was the 34 th full game of Pursuit of Glory campaign scenario with another player that I have finished. We played with the Anzac Desert Corps optional rules as well as 8 card hands.

Townshend’s Moment.

Fall 1914

Kristian opened with a variant on the standard alternative opening, playing Project Alexandria for Ops, occupying Abadan, Ahwaz and Amara, fulfilling his MO and making an additional attack with the Russians on Eleskirt and also moving the division in Bahrein to Abadan. I played Pan-Turkism, moving the Jangali to Menjil, the division in Basra to Kut and those in Erzincan to Ardahan and Malazgirt, and attacking and occupying Oltu. He captured Basra, besieged Fao, moved the troops in Tiflis to positions around Ardahan and attacked Oltu, destroying the Turkish Corps there.

I played for RPs (Indian Mutiny) and he organized II Turkistani Corps in Batum. I redeployed elite divisions to Beersheba and Sannaiyat and the Camel Corps to Sulemaniye. Blockade preceded my moving troops to the Suez Canal and Anzac Reinforcements landed in Egypt. I continued with Liberate Suez, organizing III Corps in Damascus and drawing at Ismailia. Kitchener and Jihad rounded off the turn.

Winter 1915

MOs were British Empire for the Allies and RU for the CPs. TU Max RPs on 27.

Sphere of Influence, German Military Mission and Russian Reinforcements were followed by my moving X Corps to Erzerum and XI Corps to Ardahan. The Russians moved forward from Tiflis and Central Asia, entering Eastern Persia. Fresh Recruits revived Turkish and Turkish Arab divisions all over Mesopotamia and the Royal Navy sailed right through the Straits destroying all 6 forts.

I played for RPs (Goeben) and the British captured Romani. I moved III Corps to Gaza and brought the divisions near the Canal back east. The Russians launched a 3-way assault on Ardahan, experiencing Severe Weather in only one of the 3 attacking spaces. However the Turks held firm, aided by Reserves to the Front. The Turks now counter-attacked Akhalkain, but ran into Severe Weather themselves. Nevertheless the Russian High command decided it was time to Save Tiflis…

Spring 1915

MOs were RU and Meso-Persia. Max TU RPs 26.

Russian troops moved up to the front lines and German Subs began prowling the Med. Egyptian Coup and Mission to Afghanistan preceded Asquith/Lloyd George Coalition and Verdun with Kristian removing 2 divisions and losing 1 VP. An Allied attack on Qurna was cancelled by Mosquitoes and Bulgaria entered the war. The Russians drove the Turks from Ardahan and IV Corps formed in Erzincan as the Turks captured Suj Bulak. The Allies took Jifjaffa and I played for TU RPs only (Persian Push).

Summer 1915

MOs were British Empire and TU. Max TU RPs 24.

The Allies entrenched in Belgrade and occupied Ardahan. Parvus to Berlin was followed by Russo-British Assault, Turkish Reinforcements (4 TU-A divisions) and Murray Takes Command. I attacked and captured Nis, he played for RPs (Project Alexandria) and I attacked Belgrade and Urmia. The Allies pulled out of Belgrade and attacked Qurna. I occupied Belgrade and captured Urmia. Kitchener’s invasion landed off Athens. I attacked Veles and Skopje, capturing Veles.

Fall 1915

RU MO for CPs No MO for Allies TU Max RPs on 24.

Lawrence directed the Allied conquest of Athens. Djemal lead an attack on Skopje. Secret Treaty allowed the Russians to seize Teheran and the Turks to seize Hamadan, Qum and Isfahan. The Russians attacked Rize and the British conquered Lamia. I captured Skopje, Monastir and Salonika, the latter with XI Army. Grand Duke to Tiflis lead to German Intrigues in Persia and the Salonika Invasion landed on Lemnos. 6 divisions of Turkish Reinforcements arrived and Romania entered the war. I rounded off the turn with an attack on Maragha

Winter 1916

Meso-Persia and TU MOs. TU Max RPs on 24

Enver ordered attacks on Ardahan and Khoy, but was partially saved from his folly by Pasha I appearing in Rize and managed to capture Khoy with Kurds. The Left Wing Group appeared in Baghdad. Russian troops moved up to the front, XXII Corps formed in Harput and a Russian Winter Offensive hit Kasvin, Rize and Erzerum, but only captured Kasvin, with Ataturk defending Erzerum.

I played for RPs (to Help and Save You) and Russian Reinforcements arrived, a couple of elite divisions and 2 inchoate Corps. I redeployed troops to Erzincan and Erzerum, the Armenian Uprising captured Sivas and I played for Rps again (Czar’s Armories). The Russians captured Qum and organized the Caucasian Cavalry Corps in Kagizman and VII Caucasian Corps in Oltu. I organized V Corps in Erzincan and the turn ended with a Jihad Revolt in Central Asia.

Spring 1916

None and TU MOs TU Max RPs on 20.

Russian Reinforcements arrived, V Caucasian Corps and the Marines in Odessa. Turkish reinforcements also arrived, with XIV Corps forming in Kayseri. The troops in Odessa move up to Constanta and Turtakai and the British attacked Isfahan. The Germans wiped out the Romanians at Craiova and the Russians and Romanians took Varna and Rustchuk, with Jafar Pasha leading the Bulgarian 3rd Army to safety in Plevna. I moved Turks up to Adrianople and Zagora and attacked Bucharest, destroying the Romanian division and fort there but not advancing.

The Romanians pulled out of Ploesti to fill the gap in their lines and the Russians attacked and captured Malazgirt. Caucasian Army Reforms brought 1 Corps to Mus and 1 to Bandirma and we both played for RPs (D’Esperey, Yildirim Offensive). The British occupied Larissa and destroyed the Bakhtiari, meaning Isfahan reverted to Russian control (it had converted to RU underlying control in an earlier attrition phase). I attacked Sivas ineffectively.

Summer 1916

BR/INANZ and TU MOs, TU Max RPs on 19. Russian Revolution due this turn.
The Russians attacked Rize, Erzerum and Mus. I removed an Uprising marker from Bitlis. The Marines landed in Eregli and the Armenian Uprising moved to Karabuk to shield them. I organized XV Corps in Erzerum and removed an Uprising marker from Diyarbarkir. The Russians redeployed troops to Eregli and Eleskirt and their Yugoslav division to Varna.

I redeployed troops around the Russian/Armenian foot hold in Eregli/Karabuk. The Russians occupied Karabuk and Burgas and attacked Erzerum, drawing. I occupied Rustchuk and Bucharest. The Russians attacked Adapazari and Zagora, winning both battles but only advancing to Adapazari. I redeployed troops to Eskisehir and the Russians attacked the Bosphorus. The Turks withdrew from the Bosphorus but the Russians did not advance. The turn ended with my missing an MO for RPs (Unrestricted Submarine Warfare) and the Russian Revolution began.

Autumn 1916

RU and Meso Persia MOs TU Max RPs on 16, Russian Revolution at stage 1
The Romanians entrenched in Constanta and the Anzacs entered Neutral Persia. Turkish Reinforcements arrived with a Trench in Gaza. Russian reinforcements arrived, 3 divisions in Odessa. Yildirim appeared in Constantinople, Damascus and Baghdad, and the Allies attacked Adrianople and Salonika and organized FAO 1 on Lemnos. The British took Salonika but the Russians were defeated at Adrianople.

I played for RPs (Jihad Supremacy) and the Allies continued the Balkan offensive, attacking Doiran and Adrianople but being held off. I reinforced Doiran and attacked Korprukoy with Army of Islam, destroying a Russian Corps. The Allies entrenched in Lamia and attacked Qurna and I played for RPs again (Indian Mutiny). The Gallipoli Invasion landed on Lemnos and I played Persian Push to place a division in Sannaiyat and move the Left Wing Group to Kut. The turn ended with a Jihad Revolt in Afghanistan.

Winter 1917

Meso-Persia and RU MOs, TU Max RPs on 16, Russian Revolution at stage 2

The British occupied Trikkala and Enver-Falkenhayn Summit brought Turks to the Balkans. Indian Reinforcements arrived and I gathered forces at Bolgrad and attacked and liberated Burgas. The British pushed forwards in Mesopotamia and the Balkans and I captured Constanta with a Jihad Offensive.

The Russians pulled out of Adapazari and the Indians attacked Nasirya but were held of by Marsh Arabs as the Turks withdrew. British and Turkish War Weariness set in and Kaiserslacht removed 3 allied divisions, with 3 rather worse quality divisions replacing them due to Alllied Solidarity. I gathered forces in Khoy and the turn ended with me removing 2 Turkish Arab divisions whose garrison duty had become unnecessary and Romania collapsing.

Spring 1917

RU MO for CPs. Max RPs on 16, Russian Revolution Stage 3.

Indian Reinforcements landed in Basra, the Berlin to Baghdad Railroad was completed and Lloyd George took Command. I attacked Sannaiyat and Tabriz, taking both, with the assistance of the German Air force and Kristian playing No Prisoners in my favour. The Russians withdrew from Azerbaijan to guard the Caspian and the Indians tried to regain Amara, but their attack was Catastrophic, forcing them back and letting the Turks take Qurna.

I entrenched at Kut and moved more divisions into Amara. Allenby arrived, closely followed by Townshend to Lemnos, whose play he had made possible. Dunsterforce arrived in Eastern Persia and we both played for RPs (Unrestricted Submarine Warfare and Greece). The Afghans attacked Eastern Persia and the Russian Revolution completed, with Armenians appearing in Kars and Georgians in Salyani and Ordubad and Central Asia falling into the hands of the Jihadists.

Summer 1917

British Empire MO for Turks, TU max RPs on 14, Russian Revolution Completed

Indian Reinforcements appeared, Tigris Corps going to India. The Turks occupied Astara and Enzeli. The Armenians entrenched at Kars, the British advanced to Prespa and attacked the North-West Frontier Tribes and the Anzacs attacked Hamadan. The Turks wiped out the last Russian cavalry division at Kasvin, Dunsterforce moved to Teheran and the British attacked Monastir using Maude. I reorganized troops to bring defenders up to Monastir, moved IX Corps to Hamadan and occupied positions around Kars.

Kristian, holding Push to the Breaking Point, attacked Doiran, Hamadan and Afghanistan, the latter with the intent of Pushing through to Central Asia, but the Afghans defeated him. I redeployed troops to Enzeli, Hamadan and Doiran. Kristian attacked Afghanistan, again, a draw, and the troops in Enzeli seized Baku. Kristian’s 3rd attack on Afghanistan was again a draw, leaving only 1 reduced Afghan in the region. I finished the game off with a Yildirim Offensive, taking Kars and bringing VPs to 17, where the autovictory marker lay.

Overview

Had Kristian succeeded in using Push to the Breaking Point and reaching Central Asia the game would have continued, but I suspect a CP victory would still have been the eventual result. Conditions were ripe for Robertson, I was holding Confused Orders, and the Turkish RP bank was reasonably full.

Kristian’s slightly unconventional opening seemed not to work very well, as the Turks occupied the Ardahan Gap and had to be dislodged at a cost of time and effort. The major allied effort in the Balkans didn’t get very far, while I was lucky in my Jihad Revolts. This is the first time I’ve seen Townshend to Lemnos played as an event, and it turned out to matter as well…

We decided not to start another game as the PBEM Tournament is imminent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
My main regret in this game was putting Allenby in Egypt through force of habit. I had planned to use him for my Indian offensive.

Two major lessons for me (again): Stick to the effing plan (!) and get to know the various pre-requisites better.

Philip Thomas wrote:
This is the first time I’ve seen Townshend to Lemnos played as an event, and it turned out to matter as well ...

I seem to remember playing it out of sheer desperation over my imminent defeat in our first game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
I have uploaded a screenie from our game:

I think that's the most diverse Balkan front I've seen

Italians and Russians in Athens; Greeks, Bulgarians and Germans mixing it up in the Doiran trenches, Turks in Romania, Arabs in Serbia, more Greeks with the Allies on Lemnos, and Turks and Greeks getting friendly picnicking at Fort Rupel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juerg haeberli
msg tools
Could you please detail how the control in Isfahan exactely worked out.
I can't see how it converted to Russian control during attrition because it's adjacent to an allied controlled region.

Ahh....I found it. You played with the new living rules already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.