Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael "Tie-Dyed-Eyes"
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Example 1: I know the answer to this one.
I am facing 2 Enemies which can take 2 wounds each, and each has 1 shield for armor. I make my Melee attack, and get 6 hits. Only 2 hits could be deflected by the armor, so the remaining 4 hits get through and the enemies both die, and Armor checks are unnecessary.

Example 2: Same scenario, but I only get 5 hits. 2 hits require Armor checks, but 3 get through. One enemy is dead, and the other gets 1 wound. Now I have the armor checks for the last two hits. But there is only one enemy left with a single armor point, and I have 2 hits left to assign. Do I still have to do an armor check for both armor points (even though one is on a dead enemy,) or does the second hit kill the second enemy without any need for an armor check?

My actual scenario that I encountered involved 5 of these 2HP/1Armor enemies. With my melee hits and a grenade, I managed 11 hits. 5 required Armor Checks, but 6 got through. So one enemy was dead. So now I had 5 hits to award, and only 4 armor, so another hit got through and another enemy died. Then it just cascaded: I had 4 hits vs. 3 AP, then 3 hits vs. 2 AP, 2 hits vs. 1AP and suddenly all the enemies were dead and no armor checks were ever needed. It made sense, but it felt wrong.

Can anyone make this clear to me?

PS: I edited the part about the grenade, to make more sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here below my comments:

The basic rule is: first distribute hits and then apply armor.

Example 2: 5 hits against two units with 2 wounds and 1 armour each.
Only half of the wounds can be allocated to a single enemy, hence you must distribute 3 wounds to one enemy and 2 to the second.
For the first enemy the armor check on wound #1 is useless since he has two additional wounds (#2 and #3) than cannot be negates, so Enemy #1 is eliminated.
Enemy #2 has 2 wounds: one is automatic while the other could be negated by the armor.

Grenade example: 11 hits against 5 enemies (i imagine the 11 includes all the melee results).
Again, only half of the wounds can be allocated to a single enemy, but 5 wounds are useless so you can apply 3 hits to enemy #1; all the other hits must be distributed (2 per enemy).
Enemy #1 dies since wound #1 could be negated but wound #2 and #3 cannot.
For the remaining 4 enemies one wound is automatic while the other could be negated by the armour.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael "Tie-Dyed-Eyes"
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you. The basic rule is exactly what I needed to know how to do it. "Distribute the wounds, then apply armor." I'm sure it's in the rules, but having you pull out the exact section that I needed to see, was very helpful.

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
San Louie
United States
Stillwater
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Uhm, in the copy of the rules I have, (5.3 Attack Resolution) states "Wounds
to enemy units: you can allocate a maximum of half (rounded down) of the total
number of wounds to a single enemy unit..."

So as I understand it, if you create a total of five wounds, you can
apply only two of them to a single enemy, not three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael "Tie-Dyed-Eyes"
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bugwar wrote:
Uhm, in the copy of the rules I have, (5.3 Attack Resolution) states "Wounds
to enemy units: you can allocate a maximum of half (rounded down) of the total
number of wounds to a single enemy unit..."

So as I understand it, if you create a total of five wounds, you can
apply only two of them to a single enemy, not three.

Bugwar makes a good point. I always assumed that only applied to situations where you didn't have enough to kill everyone. Let's check the rulebook

Rulebook V. 0.8 wrote:
Wounds to enemy units: you can allocate a maximum of half (rounded down) of the total number of wounds to a single enemy unit; the rest of the wounds must be allocated equally among the other enemies.

So, if we have 5 wounds applied to 2 enemies with 2HP each. First, we "allocate a maximum of half (rounded down)" which is 2 wounds to the first enemy. "The rest of the wounds [are] allocated equally among the other enemies." Which means the remaining 3 wounds get placed on the sole survivor.

I think that interpretation fits the way I understand it (convenient, I know). Doesn't mean it's right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael "Tie-Dyed-Eyes"
United States
Rapid City
South Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so how about this question?

Scenario: Facing a Mid level enemy with 3HP and 1 Armor, and 4 little dudes with only 2HP. I get a really good roll and use a grenade, and wind up with 8 wounds. Can I apply half of them to the big guy, 4 hits? That way he goes down regardless of the armor check. Then I apply 1 wound to each of the remaining enemies.

I think I've got it now, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gottardo Zancani
Italy
Milano
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
... and wind up with 8 wounds. Can I apply half of them to the big guy, 4 hits?

Correct: only half of the wounds can be inflicted to a single enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.