Vikings» Forums » General

Subject: What is the game play like for the game Viking? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kyle Tr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
I am curious what the game play of Viking is like. Looking at some of the pictures it looks like it is very similar to Stone Age. I would appreciate any info about how it is played or other games that it is similar to. I have played Stone Age, Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan, Race for the Galaxy, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Bohnanza, Pandemic, Tobago, Kill Dr. Lucky, Factory Manager... Is the game play like any of the above listed?
Thanks all for any advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings is most similar to Alhambra.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Fuini
South Africa
Durban
KwaZulu Natal
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is this the Viking game you are refering to? Vikings

If so, I can not say it is most similar to any of those games you mentioned (although I have only played Stone Age, Puerto Rico, Settlers of Catan, Ticket to Ride, Dominion, Pandemic,).

For me, it is most similar to Coloseum.

The game is centred around the "market", where "prices and stock" change each round. Then depending on what you get you then have a placement decision, which eventually scores you points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vikings is not similar to Stone Age at all. What I'd suggest is that you head over to http://yucata.de/ read the rules for Vikings and play some games online. It's no charge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Tr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks
Thank you everyone for your advice. I will check out that website. Thanks again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also play it over on BSW.

Honestly I don't think it's very similar to any of the games you have played. It's a game that requires a lot of planning, economic management and careful tile placement. I would agree with Ralph that it perhaps is similar to Alhambra, but the changing price feature is what sets it apart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.