Subject: Sorry, no free university for you in Sweden. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Starting from next semester, Swedish universities will no more receive govt funding for their foreign students (who enroll after June 2010, I presume), and at the same time, they will be allowed to charge foreigners money for studying here (which until now has been illegal).

Tuition fees are expected to land somewhere between 7.000 and 15.000 € a year.

# of foreign students are expected to drop to 60% of today's levels, which is what happened in Denmark when they made this move.

The government is now investing millions in "Study in Sweden" marketing campaigns to attract paying students, to fill those empty seats.

I'm not surprised. Most political parties wanted to do this; it's just that the Greens or the Commies have been able to prevent it by bargaining cleverly in parliament. The Commies as the like freebies, and the Greens as they dislike valuing people differently depending on where they come from.

I think it's sad. The finest institutions are heavy with very clever Chinese and Indian students. Some stay, some go home. Some make good contacts here, some don't. But all in all, I think the money was well invested.

And it was nice to say to foreign friends: "Hey, come here to study!" But I guess I get lower tax now instead. In a few years, this might have accumulated to an extra PS3 game. Yay. Or a fancy dinner out with my gf. That's nice. Just a pity she can't study here. And definitely not her brother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Sooooo, basically students who don't come from rich families would either have to go home, or get a job and go to school parttime?

How sad.
Good luck making an extra 1000 € a month on top of what you already pay for your living. They're not engineers yet.

They could have gotten the tax money back in other ways. For starters, give all graduates from here residence permit instead of kicking them out after graduation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My wife studied for part of her law degree in sweden so she will be sad to hear this.

I'm surprised it took so long though. Lots of countries make a ton of cash from international (mostly Asian/Indian) students and you were losing it instead. Given the climate and high tax rates I also can't see many people staying on after so honestly what benefit were you getting out of it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be all technical and ****, there ain't no such thing as "free university" anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
The whole working part time plan doesn't work all that well in every country. When one gets to the 15, 20% unemployment, those entry level part time jobs get filled by people with experience that are paid a pittance, making having a job while studying a pipe dream.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
This user is outstanding in mediocre videogaming
badge
Did you visit my www.kobudovenlo.nl? It has game info
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Sooooo, basically students who don't come from rich families would either have to go home, or get a job and go to school parttime?

How sad.
Good luck making an extra 1000 € a month on top of what you already pay for your living. They're not engineers yet.

They could have gotten the tax money back in other ways. For starters, give all graduates from here residence permit instead of kicking them out after graduation.
Don't mind Koldfoot.

He's all for equal rights.
For the rich.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
United States
Gastonia
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Don't mind Koldfoot.

He's all for equal rights.
For the rich.

Hey man, everybody is equal, it's just that some are more equal than others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mondainai wrote:

I think it's sad. The finest institutions are heavy with very clever Chinese and Indian students.

I taught on an English language course preparing Chinese students to study at a British university. We were told that the really good Chinese students stay in China. The only reason Chinese students come to Europe to study is that their own universities are massively oversubscribed. Europe is a second option; if the information I got was correct, then I don't think that the cream of the crop were going Sweden.

Somehow, I can't get all that worked up over the whole issue. Many students have to pay fees in their own countries anyway; I don't see why they should have the "right" to go to Sweden without paying anything--especially as they or their families probably haven't made any tax contributions to the state there.

Moreover, there's no such thing as a "free university education"; somebody has to pay for it somewhere down the line--the question is, should that be the taxpayer or the person who enjoys the benefit itself? Many university systems are based on a funding model in which only a small elite went to university. This is now out of date and increasingly we are being faced with the question: do we want mass university attendance, where those who go to university have to pay, or do we want an elitist system in which only a small group study, meaning the cost is small enough that the state can pick up the bill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.