Popular Tags: [View All]
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign Manager 2008: A card game about the United States Presidential campaign between Barack Obama and John McCain.

First off I will not go into the rules of the game here. They have been restated numerous times with considerably more skill, clarity and precision then I would be able to in other posts on this site so what I will do is answer the questions I normally ask someone when I’m about to play or buy a game for the first time. If you do not know the rules or want more information then this review provides you should check out these reviews:

http://www.geekdo.com/thread/491825/campaign-manager-2008-re... by thinwhiteduke

or

http://www.geekdo.com/thread/494516/hipshot-review-campaign-... by eldil

Conclusion: (for those too lazy to read the whole thing) : A very cool, light card game, with an appealing, at least to me, theme with meaningful decision throughout its 30 min playing time. If you are a political junkie or thought 1960 was too long for what it is, this is the game for you.

How many players can play? 2

What is the quality of the components (bang for the buck)? Very Good. The battle state tiles are nice and thick also the wooded agenda cubes and issue arrow are nice but a little small. The cards are well made and should stand up to the test of time.

How easy is it to learn? Easy. The concepts are very easy and the game comes with a preset starting deck and states for those who are not inclined to card draft making it that much easier to jump right into the game.

How long does it take? 30 minutes give or take with an addition of 5 minutes or so for drafting if not playing with the beginner rules.

What itch does this scratch? The Political action game itch as well as the card drafting itch albeit in a minor way. This is a lighter version of 1960, or an even lighter version of die macher. I personally enjoy this one more than the other 2 mention due to its time and I believe the time commitment alone makes it stand heads and tails over 1960.

What is the replay value? Good, with the card drafting you should in theory be able to play a different ‘deck’ for quite some time. In reality I have the fear that at some point you will decide on the most optimum strategy for you and tend to play that way. While this is fine if you play multiple opponents I assume over the long haul playing with the same opponent will result in the same ‘optimum’ deck over and over again on each side limiting the longevity and fun of the game.

Does this game reward skill or is it a pure luck fest? This game rewards skill with the luck of the draw being the primary luck element. The luck of the draw is limited considerably however by the small drafted deck size of 15 and by about half way through the game you should be able to know and play against the cards your opponent have.

In Conclusion: Campaign Manager 2009 2008 is a very well done and produced political card game with a short playing time which I enjoy considerably more than it’s deeper but longer cousin 1960. It is tense through the majority of the game and really invokes the feel of the back and forth of a presidential run while the play last just long enough to be tense but doesn’t overstay its welcome. A welcome addition to my game library and one that I believe non-gamers as well as seasoned ones, especially political junkies, will enjoy. It is a bit light and this may be taken as a negative by many so if you’re looking for the next Die Macher in 30 minutes this game is probably not for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotelaughs wrote:
In Conclusion: Campaign Manager 2009 is a very well done and produced political card game with a short playing time which I enjoy considerably more than it’s deeper but longer cousin 1960.

Campaign Manager 2009? laugh Where was I during the election of 2009?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rivera
United States
Fountain
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
coyotelaughs wrote:
In Conclusion: Campaign Manager 2009 is a very well done and produced political card game with a short playing time which I enjoy considerably more than it’s deeper but longer cousin 1960.

Campaign Manager 2009? laugh Where was I during the election of 2009?

I was obviously talking about the expansion for the MA special election with the Scott Brown and Martha Coakley decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Matthews
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
coyotelaughs wrote:

I was obviously talking about the expansion for the MA special election with the Scott Brown and Martha Coakley decks.

Ugh, the Coakley deck. 10 gaffee cards, and 5 "aloof candidate" events. It might be cathartic to design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGS
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Warhammer: Diskwars
mbmbmbmbmb
"I believe the time commitment alone makes it stand heads and tails over 1960."

Your avatar takes this comment to a whole new level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Mighty Greedo
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Campaign Manager 2008 a game? Or is it homework?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.