Popular Tags: [View All]
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really wanted to like this game. I read about it and its infamy and it sounded like such a great game. I read up on the rules and how to play and found it very simplistic and yet full of deep strategy, similar to chess. This means it would be easy to teach and pick up on. So I finally got the game and started to set it up.

One problem our group has with the game is the long play time. So instead of playing a long full session I setup a PBEM game online. We still talk & conspire face to face, which is a great part of the game, but submit all orders by email before our predetermined deadline. We do about 3 moves a week. On our regular gaming sessions I pull out the board and layout the current situation. Instead of playing filler games waiting for the rest to show up we end up splitting up and talking about allegiances, moves, etc..

I finally played this infamous game and I decided that I love it. The backstabbing, the eavesdropping, the strategy, the negotiation, I just love it all. This game is the most tense strategic game I have ever played. It's a rollercoaster of emotions and adjusting to constant changing situations.

So what's wrong with this game? Nothing, except when I play I can't sleep a wink. I lay there in bed and I can't turn my mind off. It's too tense. I think I'll continue to run the PBEM for those in my group who want to but I think I'm going to stay out of it. I'll probably stick to the occasional full session or maybe even a game that only goes in two sessions across two weekends. I love it but I need my sleep.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Daniels
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TeeHee!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know what the word "infamy" means?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nice story Sicaria

I've looked, and then again looked away from this games so many times now ... your post makes it sound like a whole lot of fun indeed!

Is it really that good?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Barnes
United States
Layton
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to play this it looks and sounds like a game I would love. I have the latest AH game but it looks like garbage. I really wish I would of bought the Hasbro edition back when I had the chance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rae
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DarkS0uL wrote:
Nice story Sicaria

I've looked, and then again looked away from this games so many times now ... your post makes it sound like a whole lot of fun indeed!

Is it really that good?

It really is that good .... if you have the personality to play. In my experience Diplomacy is the most polarising game on the planet. I think 99 percent of people will play and understand its brilliance and how good it could be. Unfortunately I would estimate only 1 in ten would have the personality type and strength of personal and emotional control to enjoy playing.

IMO this is the single best game design I have seen, but the way it plays out is quite different depending on the persoanlity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
citylife wrote:
DarkS0uL wrote:
Nice story Sicaria

Is it really that good?

It really is that good .... if you have the personality to play. In my experience Diplomacy is the most polarising game on the planet. I think 99 percent of people will play and understand its brilliance and how good it could be. Unfortunately I would estimate only 1 in ten would have the personality type and strength of personal and emotional control to enjoy playing.

IMO this is the single best game design I have seen, but the way it plays out is quite different depending on the persoanlity.

If you have immature friends that remember how you shipped a cube from "their" city in any rail game, took that one territory from "them" before they could take it, etc. etc. DO NOT PLAY DIPLOMACY WITH THEM UNLESS YOU NEVER WANT TO PLAY GAMES WITH THEM AGAIN.

The results from Diplomacy are not RANDOM, but planned out to screw your neighbor at the worst time...

YOU ARE WARNED...Immature players need not apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Only play with adults. Real adults. That leaves most of my friends out of it. Anybody who will get slightly pissy about being cockblocked in a game will certainly go whining home to mommy when they are stabbed. People who cannot take this genius game need to admit it like the OP and bow out, not denigrate it because they don't have the stones.

I crowed about this to my Brooklyn group four years ago, so we set up a PBeM game and played. After the first year, you would not believe the screaming and hair-pulling. Sober gaming gentlemen who shake hands immediately after losing other games ranted and raved about how "chaotic" and "unfair" it was. Crazy!

But even I admit that I need to play the game when I have time, a clear head, and sleep. AND I can't play games back-to-back...I need to put some months in between stabs. devil

Brilliant, brilliant game, but ADULTS ONLY!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
People who cannot take this genius game need to admit it like the OP and bow out, not denigrate it because they don't have the stones.

I think you misread what I was saying. The only thing stopping me from playing future PBEM games is a lack of sleep. This is due to so much strategy and tenseness from the game but that's also what I love about it.

It really does depend on the players. You have to go into it expecting to get punched in the nuts and kicked while you're down. It's a lot of fun to play with the right players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

In this case, it seems he has a pretty good grasp of it to me. God, how I love this wicked game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calavera Despierta
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Ha ha! Glad you had such a great experience!

Now, try it face-to-face and you're really in for it! Imagine all that stress and anxiety compressed into six straight hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Merchant
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sicaria wrote:
Quote:
People who cannot take this genius game need to admit it like the OP and bow out, not denigrate it because they don't have the stones.

I think you misread what I was saying. The only thing stopping me from playing future PBEM games is a lack of sleep. This is due to so much strategy and tenseness from the game but that's also what I love about it.

It really does depend on the players. You have to go into it expecting to get punched in the nuts and kicked while you're down. It's a lot of fun to play with the right players.

No, I GOT what you were saying, and I admitted that as a Dip fanatic even I can't take the game all the time. I've been invited to quite a few games that I just couldn't join due to recent Dip fatique.

I totally get you, brother. Now, if you'd just move A Tyr-->Mun, we could really get something going!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sicaria Occaeco
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

Does it mean you'll pull your fleets out of the Mediterranean?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Darby
United Kingdom
Welshpool
Powys
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every true briton knows infamy:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Altoona
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:

Dusty Bottoms: What does that mean, in-famous?

Ned Nederlander: Oh, Dusty. In-famous is when you're MORE than famous. This man El Guapo, he's not just famous, he's IN-famous.

Lucky Day: 100,000 pesos to perform with this El Guapo, who's probably the biggest actor to come out of Mexico!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Henrico
Virginia
flag msg tools
Go Pats!
badge
My awesome son =)
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy is FANTASTIC. The scheming and strategizing is the best.

However, for all its highs, when you do poorly the lows are reealllly low. I tend to get pretty upset when things are going badly. I don't get mad at other players, but I get mad at myself and the losses stick with me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.