Michael Matson
United States
Columbus
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
Abort or continue mission?
  Yes - time to go home! No - take out those U-boat pens!
Abort?
      40 answers
Poll created by equestriancdr
This is the second attempt to complete Mission 16 by "Ride the Wind". The previous Mission 16 was aborted in Zone 3 due to an oil leakage in one of the engines. This meant dropping out of formation with only three engines before hitting the U-boat pens in La Rochelle. So we turned around and made it safely back to base.

So off we go into the unfriendly skies again to hit the U-boat pens in St. Nazaire. But no sooner are we over the Channel (Zone 2) then we get bounced by four 109s and fighter cover is poor!

One of two aces attacks at the 12 low position and gets walking hits! The big damage is the navigator is seriously wounded and the pilot is dead.

Time to draw on the the expertise of the many B-17 veterans on the BGG! Does "Ride the Wind" continue to St. Nazaire (Zone 6) with a dead pilot or does she abort? My inclination is to abort as a seriously wounded or dead co-pilot during the rest of the mission means I'm probably not going to complete 25 missions.

I've set this up as a poll so check in on your radios and register some needed advice!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matson
United States
Columbus
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would also appreciate any reasons behind your advice. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Heath
Australia
Brisbane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
continue the mission because then hopefully you won't have to go back again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Fleming
United States
La Salle
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
All the same we take our chances, tricked by circumstances.
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted to abort this one. To me, the seriously wounded Navigator is a key factor. Somebody is going to have to help the co-pilot fly the ship and with the Navigator out it means another crew member will have to come forward to help, leaving another gun unmanned. Also, being out only two zones it should be pretty easy to get back to base (no jinx). That is Uncle Sam's property you are in command of. Live to fight another day! Good Luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Go back, only person who can find us a way home is badly wounded. Flying this bird is tough enough. But only one guy to do it all is not enough.
Good luck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ABORT!!!
All is said above by others.
Go back and hope for fighter cover!!!

(Great picture!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Abort. There are two flight officers down. You are responsible for the lives of 9 other highly trained crewmen and US Gov't. Property.

It looks like the folks who are voting for you to proceed are doing so anonymously. Could they be Nazi agents?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris reichl

Appleton
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with you there, Scribidinus. I'd turn around and bring the Queen home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The decision to abort or continue was the captain's, and his word was final. However, since he is dead, that means the co-pilot is in command.

If you abort, it will not count toward the required 25 missions. However, if you can get one of the other crew to shoot the co-pilot in the leg (or arm I suppose), than the mission will count (Page 6;8.0;e). If you keep flying, and you have to drop out of formation for any reason, than you can abort and have it count since the navigator is seriously wounded (Page 6;8.0;d).

To abort or not is a tough call, and I would need to know what the other damage was before making the final decision. However, I might just have the plane continue anyway because I'm already dead - as I tend to put myself in the pilot's set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United States
Sterling Heights
Michigan
flag msg tools
Glück muss man haben
badge
But what I do have are a very particular set of skills, skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you… And I will beat you.
mbmbmbmbmb
"ABORT!!"

As stated above, two officers are down and you can't fly a B-17 too long with one person. So, you would have to pull the Engineer or Bombardier to help make the rest of the trip. Do you want to go in without one of your gun positions manned for a long trip?! Don't think so.

Jim P cool

Here's wishing you better luck on the next mission!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art DeFilippo
United States
Herndon
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a veteran of many missions, my suggestion would be to abort. Currently flying with the 88 Bomb Group with my fourth aircraft and third crew.

http://www.b17pbemgame.com/399th%20SQN/Passionate_Witch.htm
http://www.b17pbemgame.com/399th%20SQN/xLucy_Quipment.htm
http://www.b17pbemgame.com/399th%20SQN/xRaid_Hot_Mama.htm
http://www.b17pbemgame.com/399th%20SQN/xTexas_Thunder_DeFili...

Good luck!

Art DeFilippo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matson
United States
Columbus
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to all that provided input to the poll and comments. Based on the results, "Ride the Wind" aborted the mission and returned safely to base.

We are now loading up for Mission 16 Round 3.

And our new pilot looks like he can get us there and back. cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bourgeois
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
equestriancdr wrote:
Thanks to all that provided input to the poll and comments. Based on the results, "Ride the Wind" aborted the mission and returned safely to base.

We are now loading up for Mission 16 Round 3.

And our new pilot looks like he can get us there and back. cool

Lovely, just make sure none of the crew are wearing red anywhere on their uniforms. That's a sure killer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
equestriancdr wrote:

That ruined it me for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matson
United States
Columbus
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well the new pilot flew us right into flak on a run in to the railyards at Rennes. Port inboard fuel tank hit. With the exception of the new pilot and port waist gunner, we are sitting in a POW camp waiting to be "beamed up" and back to the States. The port waist gunner made it back to England. The pilot landed amidst some women and was helped back to England by them using his silver tongue and PriceLine connections.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
equestriancdr wrote:
Well the new pilot flew us right into flak on a run in to the railyards at Rennes. Port inboard fuel tank hit. With the exception of the new pilot and port waist gunner, we are sitting in a POW camp waiting to be "beamed up" and back to the States. The port waist gunner made it back to England. The pilot landed amidst some women and was helped back to England by them using his silver tongue and PriceLine connections.

See if they can find the crew from the "Egg Dropper". Maybe they are at the same Stalag together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Antone
United States
East Falmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Someone said it was the Captain's decision, but he's dead and now it's up to the co-pilot.
I'd roll one die. 1-4, abort mission. 5-6, keep flyin'.
Then, if you don't make it home alive you can blame that darn
co-pilot!
Brad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Antone
United States
East Falmouth
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Sounds like that pilot must have been Gregory Peck in the lead role of your typical Hollywood war movie.
Brad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.