Subject: Dungeons and Dragons 'scape Review rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Ferrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a long time Heroscape fan, I own almost everything in multiples and have been active in the community for 3 years. Recently I lost interest began playing other games and fell out as a whole of the game system. The new Master set rekindled my interest a bit and I passed this on to my fiancee who happened to find the set at our local Wally World and picked it up for me as a surprise. I immediately did the dishes, fed our dogs and sat down to open up the box.
Liked
The figures as a whole - the sculpts, the paint jobs, the abilities all fit the theme very well in this set. Heroscape has come a long way in providing a story and a setting for their Mastersets since the RotV set.

The terrain features are nice, the rock outcrops can fit into many environments and enable you to create more scenic areas as battlefields.

Even the rule book seems to have a more cohesive feel to it than in previous master sets.

Loved
The experience, I have only played the first room but it no longer feels like I am playing Heroscape, I feel like they dropped me into the middle of a Descent game where a hero has been caught by the monster(s) in the dungeon and the remaining adventurers need to set him free. This set is what 'scape should have been in my opinion from the beginning, give me more Adventure Packs, not waves or Master sets but self contained adventures that can be added to to create an amazing experience.

Hated

Nothing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Booker Hooker
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those scenarios are kinda fun. The one thing that I don't really like about Heroscape is the mix of genres (robots, ninjas, orcs, vikings, etc). I like the cohesive theme, and though the scenarios weren't very in depth, they were still quite fun to play (well, the first two rooms that I've played so far).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg S.
United States
Whittier
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review, Matt. I look forward to getting a game or two under my belt before jumping in and purchasing it. Is that going to push your playing of the old Heroscape to the side?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Matecha
United States
Florence
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review Matt!
I enjoyed my first two games as well.
Similar and different to the original but just as fun!

Scratches wrote:
Those scenarios are kinda fun. The one thing that I don't really like about Heroscape is the mix of genres (robots, ninjas, orcs, vikings, etc). I like the cohesive theme, and though the scenarios weren't very in depth, they were still quite fun to play (well, the first two rooms that I've played so far).

I thought this way too when I first got the game. But what I soon realized was that I could simply choose armies of whatever theme I was in the mood for.

I've fielded elves,dwarves,mages,knights against dragons,trolls,spiders,wolves.

Then the next game it was agents,ninjas,soldiers vs Zettian guard robots, deathwalker 8000,deathwalker 9000(obviously the upgraded version travelled back in time to assist the old model)

Now I go ahead and mix genres. The theme is that in the final battle of all time great generals are calling the greatest troops from different time periods, universes and realities to do battle. This is the same sort of theme that many comics use.

So you can play it any way you like - infinite flexibility

Check out Heroscapers.com for all HS related info.

Enjoy!

-Fallow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Ferrell
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Boom - I hadn't played Classic 'scape in going on a year and a half (NHSD '08!) But if anything it will push me to wanting to play again. In fact just last weekend I unpacked and re organized all my classic scape!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morse
England
Barnard Castle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
not the nose, not the nose!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Good review, I like the sound of this set.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.