Subject: TOMB 3 to be a Legend of the Five Rings crossover product? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised that there will be a Tomb 3 at all, but if it's set in Rokugan, I might buy it just because.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Bellevue
NE
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Could be pretty good. I've run the Tomb of Iuchiban Module for the L5R RPG system and loved it. What the real treasure is the rich backstory for Rokugan and the Clans that has been built up over the years for the CCG and RPG. Yeah, there's some great art, but the Iuchiban story should allow for a great crossover game, even if it has to be modified a bit to deemphasize the traditional treasures. Perhaps some Shadowlands-specific relics like the Porcelain Mask of Fu-Leng. Even the blurb on the TOMB page mentions the players aren't just after treasure, but glory, something not unfamiliar for Samurai of Rokugan that seek fortune and glory, while attempting to maintain their honor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the one who made those tweets, I'll respond.

Has Tomb lost it's identity? Hardly. But look, we're AEG. L5R is a huge part of everything we do, and from the day the original Tomb released, we've been dying to do "of Iuchiban" (we were actually kicking around the name reference even before the first Tomb released).

Also, bear in mind that 2010 is the 15th Anniversary of Legend of the Five Rings. We couldn't let the year go by without doing the L5R take on Tomb.

As to running out of fantasy art... wow, I wished. We're drowning in the stuff. ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rowland
United States
Mobile
Alabama
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
Never know what's next.
mbmbmbmbmb
hskrfn822 wrote:
Perhaps some Shadowlands-specific relics like the Porcelain Mask of Fu-Leng.

There are rules for taint. Bwahaha.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Manasan
Philippines
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So Todd, how about that Art of War? devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A. B. West
United States
Beech Grove
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Why aren't you PLAYING a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
AEGTodd wrote:
We couldn't let the year go by without doing the L5R take on Tomb.

I'm a pretty big fan of Tomb and a L5R take on it sounds great! I trust it will be compatible with all the other Tomb decks?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Stapp
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gahhh...I havan't even gotten to play TOMB:Cryptmaster yet. My brother bought the expansion...I bought the original. He hasn't made time to bring it over.

I've had large amounts of fun witht he original so far. Clearly, the rules needed to be worded much clearer . But from what I hear a much better job was done in the expansion.

I fully expect any TOMB3 to continue the great atmosphere and fun. And to improve ont he preciseness of the rules.

[EDIT:Lol Adam West above...]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Edmonds
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Do you need more card ideas for the D&D Adventure System games?
mbmbmbmbmb
I like adding expansions until the box gets full. I'm fully packed with Tomb and Tomb Cryptmaster so a break in theme sounds good to me. Tomb + Cryptmaster feels fully fleshed out content wise so I'd welcome the change in theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Keith
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
The plan is indeed for Tomb of Iuchiban to be compatible with the original Tomb and Cryptmaster, though there are some new elements which will show up here (like personal honor) which do not appear in the original pair. We will, of course, be including rules on how to handle such situations. cool

(You, too, can have Slayer get tainted by summoning an oni!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lucero
United States
Centennial
CO
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
According to the description for the game here at the Geek, it says it has a double-sided board where one side is the Tomb and the other is overland encounters? So half the game is tomb-raiding and the other half is some kind of mish-mash of the L5R CCG?

Not to sure about that or the "honor" system yet. Neither sounds like they would go well with the current TOMB theme.

I really don't get why people are against the changes the L5R version will contain. It's not like you got two games already that are "pure Tomb." Why not be open for something different?

Personally, as a huge fan of the original L5R (I sadly don't play it any longer), I'm eager to see any licensed game based on the game world that isn't Clan War. Now that AEG is more invested in board games, I hope to see more stand alone games in the L5R universe for those of us fans who can't invest the time and/or money to keep up with a CCG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Keith
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
According to the description for the game here at the Geek, it says it has a double-sided board where one side is the Tomb and the other is overland encounters? So half the game is tomb-raiding and the other half is some kind of mish-mash of the L5R CCG?

Not to sure about that or the "honor" system yet. Neither sounds like they would go well with the current TOMB theme.

I guess as long as the actual TOMB side of the board and the traps, monsters, and treasures rock beyond belief the overland board would not matter. But you know how it is, you are spoiled each game with 2 dungeons so you kinda expect it.

The fundamental core of the game remains unchanged. From a purely mechanical point of view, the Rokugan map side of the board will work similarly to any of the other boards you are used to - you build you party, enter the board, head for the places you want to raid, and beat up monsters. At the start of the game you will pick a clan (which will give you extra abilities during the game, as well as let you draw a card each time you recruit someone from that clan), and on that particular board the clan you choose affects where you enter the board. (Crab players enter by Crab lands, and so forth.) Net effect? Minimal addition to the core rules, and a different feel in flavor.

The mechanics for the honor system use a similar philosophy. Everybody will have a starting family honor (based on the clan you choose), and various effects will give you honor (such as winning a duel against another player's character) or make you lose honor (such as fleeing combat, or summoning a demonic oni). If your honor level raises high enough, you will gain some bonus XP. Likewise, if you drop low enough, you will lose XP. Some effects will key off your honor, such as a bonus roll if your honor is at least 20. For simplicity, there is an honor track included and a token for each party - so bookkeeping is a trivial process. Again, minor modification to mechanics providing a lot of flavor.

In thinking about Tomb of Iuchiban compared to regular Tomb, a good analogy is thinking of regular D&D versus Oriental Adventures. Both used the same basic core rules, but Oriental Adventures added a small amount of mechanics to give a very different campaign feel. (Come to think of it, when WotC redid Oriental Adventures for 3.0, they used L5R's setting - making the analogy even better!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Pedersen
Denmark
Copenhagen N.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG! A 3rd Tomb?
I'll be drowning in dice with the two other games and two packs of extra dice, already!

Have you guys considered coming up with rules for placing traps, obstacles and other stuff on the map?
It would make existing maps more interesting if we had some tokens that could be placed on the board, to alter the design of the tomb each time!
EDIT:
I'm thinking of the basic maps in both games. I especially like the design of the original one. But if some counters were provided it could become even better!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wayne r
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it be standalone or will it require the base game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dbc- wrote:
OMG! A 3rd Tomb?
I'll be drowning in dice with the two other games and two packs of extra dice, already!

Have you guys considered coming up with rules for placing traps, obstacles and other stuff on the map?
It would make existing maps more interesting if we had some tokens that could be placed on the board, to alter the design of the tomb each time!
EDIT:
I'm thinking of the basic maps in both games. I especially like the design of the original one. But if some counters were provided it could become even better!

Can you ever have enough dice for tomb? devil

Using the original five rings clans would be awesome. No SL BS just Junzo army.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.