Popular Tags: [View All]
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For some reason this table has always confused me... lets say I have sunk 278 ships for 1,207,000 tons... it is the end of the first week of June 43 and I am rolling to see if I go into War Period 4... explain. thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boutet
msg tools
mbmbmb
First thing you have to do is check the "War Period Modification Table". Since your in WP3 you check your tonnage and # of ships sunk in the the medium blue part of the table. Since you are at 1.207,000 tons, you would be maxed out for WP3 and use the 1150 value as your horizontal line to cross index with. The Vertical line using the 278 ships sunk is 3 more than the 275 in the 2nd from right column but of course less then the 300 value at the end . Thus you would cross index 1150 with 275 to get a modifier of +3. Now you go to the War Transition Table. June of 43 shows a roll of 3 or more is req'd to move to WP4. However, with the +3 modifier, even a roll of zero would bump you into WP4.If you had only sunk 274 ships, then the modifier would only be a +2 so rolling a 0 would keep you in WP3. Hope that helps!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very helpful.. but wouldn't I use the lightest blue band? That one denotes "...going from War Period 3 to War Period 4". If that is the case - then I am not even close - with the lowest tonnage being 3700 and the ships sunk 760... and if that were the case - would I have a -4 to the role? No role as I don't meet minimum requirements? I know there is a built in war period clock... but this is were my confusion is coming from.

mako88sb wrote:
First thing you have to do is check the "War Period Modification Table". Since your in WP3 you check your tonnage and # of ships sunk in the the medium blue part of the table. Since you are at 1.207,000 tons, you would be maxed out for WP3 and use the 1150 value as your horizontal line to cross index with. The Vertical line using the 278 ships sunk is 3 more than the 275 in the 2nd from right column but of course less then the 300 value at the end . Thus you would cross index 1150 with 275 to get a modifier of +3. Now you go to the War Transition Table. June of 43 shows a roll of 3 or more is req'd to move to WP4. However, with the +3 modifier, even a roll of zero would bump you into WP4.If you had only sunk 274 ships, then the modifier would only be a +2 so rolling a 0 would keep you in WP3. Hope that helps!

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boutet
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sorry, your right. Show's you shouldn't reply to something when your 2 daughters are squabbling over which movie to watch. Actually, the soonest you can attempt to transition is June of 44 where you would need to roll a nine. That's assuming you can get the 0 modifier by sinking 760 ships and accumulate 4,300,000 tons. If you have the bare minimum of 760 ships and 3,700,000 tons, then the -4 would be used but obviously no roll would be needed as it wouldn't be possible to transition that month. Hopefully I haven't caused more confusion.

Edit: I realize I'm doing a lousy job explaining this properly. Of course there's more then 1 way to get the 0 modifier I mentioned above depending on the ratio of ships sunk compared to tonnage sunk. The next 0 modifier would require at least 840 ships and 4,150,000 tons.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Phillips
United States
Montague
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhhh - that answers it! I was looking at the transition table wrong - when I would start actually rolling. I was looking at the colors wrong in that table. I have a lot longer to go before the transition is even possible... ok... whew... that was driving me crazy. THANK YOU... and I hope your daughters were able to compromise. My two daughters are both out of college and both married last year... kinda miss those 'squables' sometimes... B

mako88sb wrote:
Sorry, your right. Show's you shouldn't reply to something when your 2 daughters are squabbling over which movie to watch. Actually, the soonest you can attempt to transition is June of 44 where you would need to roll a nine. That's assuming you can get the 0 modifier by sinking 760 ships and accumulate 4,300,000 tons. If you have the bare minimum of 760 ships and 3,700,000 tons, then the -4 would be used but obviously no roll would be needed as it wouldn't be possible to transition that month. Hopefully I haven't caused more confusion.

Rob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Boutet
msg tools
mbmbmb
No Problem. Reminds me that I need to get back at my campaign. Just been so bloody busy lately. As for my daughters, their all happy now coloring together. Good luck with the rest of your campaign.

Rob
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Mahlstedt
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yaboo wrote:
.. it is the end of the first week of June 43 and I am rolling to see if I go into War Period 4... explain. thanks.

One addition from me: As I read [17.1] you are expected to check war progress only once a month - and that is done "at the beginning of months marked with numbers in their boxes on the War Period Transition Table".

As far as I understand this point, you have to roll for war progress e.g. just once for June 43, and that is done just after having moved the month-week-markers ahead from "fourth week of May" to the "first week of June". In all other weeks of June, that step is skipped.

Off course, all other things regarding the DRM stated in this thread remain untouched.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.