Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here is my idea for an easy to play cloaking mechanism for a basic hex-to-hex movement style war-game (see my Epic space combat" thread for more on that).

1: There are a number of hexes that make up a map.

2: There is a vessel that can "cloak" meaning go invisible to sight and sensors. One side is its stats, the other is a simple number of it's movement value.

3: This vessel is marked as being able to cloak.

4: Because of it's cloak ability the chit comes with 3 other chits. One side on all these says "cloak" the other has an identical movement value face to the cloaked vessel chit.

5: When the cloaked vessel is invisible flip it over to its movement value side. Immediately play the 3 cloak chits with he identical movement value sides up. So now to the other players, these chits are identical but the player in command knows which chit is the actual vessel.

6: While cloaked these chits all can move their movement value. One of them is the cloaked vessel which the owner knows. All chits may now move their movement value (as marked).

7: To discover if a "cloak" chit is the actual vessel a rival player must successfully use sensors on the hex it occupies. If this is done on a cloak chit is is flipped to reveal there is no vessel. This cloak chit can then be moved by the cloaked vessel's owner to any of the other cloaked chits and flipped over to the movement value side face up. If the cloak chit is scanned successfully and it is the vessel it is turned vessel stats face up and may be attacked.

8: As well if the cloaked vessel attacks it is flipped over to reveal it is the actual vessel.

9: When the vessel cloaks again all the cloak chits are put in the same hex with movement stat face up. It is again cloaked.

This is a fog of war mechanism that I think I will use for cloaking, rather than having people write down positions on some secondary hex map. Would you enjoy using this mechanism? I tried to describe it as best as possible and its easy to understand if you try it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremiah
United States
Madison
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it

One thought: sometimes there will be only a limited path a player may actually want to go on when cloaked, giving the other player(s) an easier chance of guessing which counter is the actual ship. Because of this, you could say that you can have multiple cloak counters on a hex (would need more than three counters then, might get unwieldy). If there is more than one cloak counter on a hex, that hex would be harder to scan. Does that make sense?

Ex: 4 cloak counters could split so the ship could go in any of four ways (1/1/1/1), three ways with one way harder to scan (1/1/2), etc. Would leave your opponent guessing: is the ship really under that one or no?

You could also have some ships be better at cloaking by giving them more/less cloak counters to use...

Just throwing out ideas... good luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jBullfrog wrote:
I like it

One thought: sometimes there will be only a limited path a player may actually want to go on when cloaked, giving the other player(s) an easier chance of guessing which counter is the actual ship. Because of this, you could say that you can have multiple cloak counters on a hex (would need more than three counters then, might get unwieldy). If there is more than one cloak counter on a hex, that hex would be harder to scan. Does that make sense?

Ex: 4 cloak counters could split so the ship could go in any of four ways (1/1/1/1), three ways with one way harder to scan (1/1/2), etc. Would leave your opponent guessing: is the ship really under that one or no?

You could also have some ships be better at cloaking by giving them more/less cloak counters to use...

Just throwing out ideas... good luck

That's pretty cool. It would take more explaining in the book but it's quite doable.

In that case the only guaranteed way of being exposed is to attack with the vessel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Little
msg tools
designer
publisher
It is a nice system. By it's very nature the number of stealthing ships would be a discrete and controlled number.

Just wondering if you considered these things though:

1. management of specific chits: each stealth-able ship will have at least 1 unique chit keyed to it, plus 2 interchangeable chits for ships of similar speed. Not too much of a bother with a handful of ships, but lets say you have 15- you need to search through a pile of 45 stealth chits to find your ship- and it's only on one side.

2. Ships either have stealth or they don't. If you didn't plan on it having stealth it simply will not have the materials to have it (save an expansion). Not necessarily a bad thing, but does limit design options. And if you can stealth everything- well, see consideration (1).

3. No upgrading speed, since the speed is going to be on the chit. Unless your speed upgrades are blanket every ship bonus. Specific ship speed increases will lend itself to confusion...

4. Whose stealth is whose? Maybe you intend this to be a 2 player game- I'm just gonna wager using a term like 'epic space' anything you're hoping for a bigger crowd. Let's say between 4 players each has a stealthed ship. You've got 12 little stealth markers moving around with the only difference being movement values (maybe). Keep adding ships/players and it gets rougher.

Anyway- food for thought. Love ideas like this. Like little logic puzzles to make sure you're not leaving loopholes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well as far as numbers go it's an expensive vessel and will only have up to 2 per side, if their faction has these vessels available. It's a 2 or 3 player game. "Epic" is used to describe it because of the range of vessel and infantry types. See here: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/494642/epic-space-combat

So ya, the number of cloak chits won't be too bad...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gregg
United States
Franklinville
NC
flag msg tools
designer
NightfallGame.com/FAQ
badge
boardgamegeek.com/thread/1234645
mbmbmbmbmb
jBullfrog wrote:
If there is more than one cloak counter on a hex, that hex would be harder to scan

Cool idea. Perhaps something like splitting 4 chits into two stacks of 2 and scanning one of the stacks only reveals the top chit or let the scanning player decide which of the two chits they would like to scan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"There's gangsters on the starboard bow
starboard bow
starboard bow
There's gangsters on the starboard bow
starboard bow
sir!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Abby
BC West Coast
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
apeloverage wrote:
"There's gangsters on the starboard bow
starboard bow
starboard bow
There's gangsters on the starboard bow
starboard bow
sir!"

The sad thing is I know that reference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bond
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I like it. Simple and easy to track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.