Popular Tags: [View All]
Who Am I Now?
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fedex Ground delivered a package today, the contents of which included this title. Unpacking the shipping box, my first thought was: "This thing must be full of bricks." This may compete to be the heaviest game I own, weight-wise (not "game weight"-wise). The box was just slightly larger than I expected, being perhaps an inch narrower than the current typical "squares" (think Ticket to Ride, Endeavor, Beowulf: The Legend), but about 3 inches longer). Depth approximately the same as the titles mentioned. Removing the shrinkwrap revealed a box with a slight linen finish.

As the weight suggests, the box was packed with a metric buttload of stuff:

Four planning boards, four folding screens, four sheets of counters, and the large game board - all thick, mounted board. This is where the weight is.

Glossy full-color rule book

Summary of play on cardstock

Card deck

Bag of wooden bits

Supply of plastic zip-lock bags

I have only two gripes, one of which is probably minor and one which is not. I'll let you decide which is which:

This game was soggy. One can feel the moisture in the components, which I've laid out around the house to try to get them to dry. Even the inside surfaces of the box itself feel moist. The lighter items in particular (rule book and summary of play) display visual evidence of being packed while damp. They aren't particularly flat (which might be corrected with some books during the drying period), and the rule book cover and first few pages show the kind of permanent waviness along the edge that is associated with exposure to moisture. There's nothing fatal here, but it's definitely a disappointment, and I hope this doesn't lead to a mold problem for me or others. Many of you who've purchased certain "printed in China" titles know exactly what I'm talking about.

The other impression is: this game is "big". That is: it's going to take up a lot of table space. I don't know that it's "Railroad Tycoon big", but it's definitely getting up there, when you combine the gameboard with the four planning boards and screens.

It seems like the "game" in the box is smaller ("simpler" and requiring less material) than the components provided. I think the game could be done in quite a bit less space, but actual plays will determine if the table space requirement is a downer or not.

The components are lovely, and were it not for the sogginess, I'd be gushing over them.

I've studied the rules over the past week, and come to grips with the fact that the game is likely a somewhat chaotic area majority game with some really neat chrome. I'm looking forward to my first play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
paul lieberman
United States
Piscataway
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
my game was perfectly dry with no trace of any moisture damage. every component in mint condition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david karasick
United States
Gladwyne
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine was fine too.........I have never seen screens like this before!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just opened mine - no sogginess.

Well it's only Feb but this is my vote for the best looking game of 2010. The components and art work are out of this world - apart for the dumb scanned picture on the Captain of Calais. I'd hoped they had learnt from 'Heads of State' not to repeat that mistake.

If the game play is 10% as good as the components then i'll be very happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hawes
United States
Prospect
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
We did learn from that mistake, thus the attention to detail this time. The graphic artist, Ben Nelson from Australia, put his heart and soul into this game and worked 3 times longer than on a normal game (with no extra charge). He is also a gamer and knows how games can go wrong with bad artwork. Zev at Z-Man games also gave us "carte blanche" with the extra good quality components and then promised to keep the cost as low as possible.I am glad gamers have appreciated the extra mile we went here.

BTW - The Captain of Calais and the Bishop were painted by US artist Mike Jackson, under my instructions - I am horrified that you think it looks scanned in. Anyway I tried!

I haven't raised the point before, but I should explain why the artwork in "Heads of State" is the way it is. In Germany the production time is pre-booked and Eggertspiele was given the week before Essen. The time frame worked toward that and the 6 weeks prior to Essen were allotted for the artwork. The artist Frank Czarne (Planet Steam,Augsburg 1520) was very ill during this time. He had painted the Assassin on the box cover (and that character looks good) but then after his illness he had no time left, but Eggertpsiele had to go ahead. So Frank had to do the rest of the artwork in a few days, thus the images had to be scanned in. He did his best in such a short time, but if he had the whole 6 weeks it would have been a different story. Fortunately for those devoted fans the artwork doesn't stop them enjoying the game and heads still roll with gay abandon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peter,

The overall impression i have of the of the art work, production quality and effort that has gone into the game is that it is amazing. The 30 minutes i spent punching the game yesterday was the most enjoyable i have had opening a game in the last five years (and i sell games for a living so have become a bit jaundiced). However, i did not like the picture on the Captain of Calais and felt it was not consistent with the design of the other components. For me it's abit like a spot on the face of a Greek goddess, it doesn't get in the way of the overall beauty and is only noticable because the rest is so stunning..and the rest is stunning

Thanks for sharing the history of the HoS design, and i apologise if i have wrongly ascribed the graphic design of HoS to intention rahter than time pressure.

I'm looking forward to my first play later this week

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Shuck
United Kingdom
Leicester
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
My copy arrived today and again, no sogginess detected (although there was a faint 'new game' aroma in the air)

First impressions? Certainly a game that aims to deliver on it's pricing point in sheer weight. I couldn't believe how heavy the box was!

And yes, it's beautiful.

I was put onto this by a gaming buddy who is (like me) a big WotR fan, and since Shogun is one of my all time favourite games, this became a must buy.

From the look of things so far, I don't think I will be disappointed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy was damp - it actually *felt* wet. Not mouldy, just wet.

With the inevitable result that just about every bit of cardboard has warped. The tokens are fine, and the player screens are OK, but the player mats are warped, the rulebook is all wavy, and the summary card is worse. The board is particularly horrible - at one point it is fully an INCH off the table, it's so far from being flat.

I'm going to have to knock up some sort of press to put these bits in; the board in particular is way beyond something a mere stack of books could fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Lister
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RDewsbery wrote:
My copy was damp - it actually *felt* wet. Not mouldy, just wet.

With the inevitable result that just about every bit of cardboard has warped. The tokens are fine, and the player screens are OK, but the player mats are warped, the rulebook is all wavy, and the summary card is worse. The board is particularly horrible - at one point it is fully an INCH off the table, it's so far from being flat.

I'm going to have to knock up some sort of press to put these bits in; the board in particular is way beyond something a mere stack of books could fix.

Thats unlucky! I suggest getting a replacement copy as i think most copies don't have this problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Knowles
United States
Willowick
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Breaking the Shrink?

Simply put:Art and Graphics AWESOME!!!! Best I've seen in 48 yrs. of gaming.Excellent job.No moisture here,just AWESOME.

bikerboy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.