Subject: Lovecraft Quotes rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Graham Page
United States
Confederate States of America
flag msg tools
mbmb
I found this passage in some footnotes for the Whisperer in Darkness. Not your typical verbose Lovecraft, which makes it especially funny:

"Pluto was discovered on Jan. 23, 1930, by C. W. Tombaugh at the Lowell Observatory in AZ. But the discovery was not broadcast to the public until March 14, three weeks after Lovecraft had begun writing The Whisperer in Darkness. A day after the announcement, Lovecraft wrote in a letter: "Watcha thinka the NEW PLANET? HOT STUFF!!! It is probably Yuggoth."

Quote from S.T. Joshi's notes.

You guys have any favorite Lovecraft quotes? (from his stories or otherwise) I think this has got to be mine. It seems so out of character for him, like something I would write in a text message, and I don't even write text msgs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So what you're saying is Lovecraft invented the Facebook status update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post!
Any mention of the word Cyclopean makes me titter: so, wait, the gigantic pillar has one eye, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Davis
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world’s beauty, is everything."
- H. P. Lovecraft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Thomas
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
saw thread, thought of this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Dew
United States
Hinesville
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:
So what you're saying is Lovecraft invented the Facebook status update.

Yeah, he was tweeting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D_Davis wrote:
"What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world’s beauty, is everything."
- H. P. Lovecraft

Wow! This speaks volumes....this is one of the most positive quotes I've ever heard....Did HPL really say this?

Found this one on a site:

"If religion were true, its followers would not try to bludgeon their young into an artificial conformity; but would merely insist on their unbending quest for truth, irrespective of artificial backgrounds or practical consequences."
H. P. Lovecraft

Thoughts like these make up for much of his short-comings... up till now I thought the Old Gentleman was all bitterness and depression

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.