Subject: Who chooses dots first? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all...

So far we have been playing with the rule that the Zombies chooses their dot rules first, and the heroes then chooses theirs (due to the example provided in Growing Hunger). However in the new example in SoTF the heroes chooses first, and then the zombies choose. Which is it?

The reason for this question is twofold, first of all we have been playing this game so much, that it is vital for each team to be able to strategize from the start of the game, including being able to choose rules, and/or deny rules from being chosen by the opposite team. Secondly, with SoTF it becomes more and more clear that the rules are an integrated part of the game, and different tactics which serves different characters are more viable if you have the rule to support it.

Secondly, what are your experience with the Zombie Pillage rule? One of our regular Zombie Players nearly always choose this rule, and I must admit it can be quite game changing, especially in scenarios where the heroes are defending themselves untill sunup. We are discussing if it isnt worth more than 1 dot? I qould be gratefull for an answer from the Amazing Avian Toad on this, as you have been making some adjustments to the dots rulesfrom GH in SoTF...

Cheerio,
A
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan H
msg tools
Two thoughts:

(1) You take this game much, much more seriously than I do (and perhaps much, much more seriously than the game designers do). In my games, we tend to chat about what scenarios and rules the different sides want as we're setting up; so long as everyone is satisfied by the time we're ready to put the board together and draw Heroes, I'm not going to worry about who chooses rules first. This is, after all, not an intense and highly strategic war simulation.

(2) Of course, who am I to tell you what kind of attitude to take toward the game? I must admit to putting together Excel spreadsheets to calculate odds for various weapon-Hero combinations, thus confirming mathematically the superiority of Sally-with-the-meat-cleaver. If you want to play LNoE like an intense and highly strategic war simulation, more power to you!

So here's a suggestion: Before you get started, the `leader' of the Heroes and the `leader' of the Zombies each roll one die. If it's a tie, re-roll. Whoever rolls higher gets to pick one optional rule; then go back and forth adding rules until everyone's satisfied. No vetoes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wondered the same thing myself.

Until now, we've also always had the Zombie player(s) choose first, and then the Heroes could spend their dots based on the total that was spent by the Zombies.

Our reasoning for the choice was that Zombies get the first game turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not have both sides choose secretly? That way neither gets an advantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roman F
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Noumena wrote:
confirming mathematically the superiority of Sally-with-the-meat-cleaver.

Really? I actually think it's not the best weapon for her. Her best ability is forcing the Zombie to re-roll its dice, having no effect on the Cleaver. In fact, if she rolls a 6, that makes her "Lucky" ability useless (at least it's wasted).

I think it's better in the hands of guys who roll extra dice like Father Joe with Faith or Victor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lernout
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:
Why not have both sides choose secretly? That way neither gets an advantage.

That would work, but it would require settling on a total dot value ahead of time, since the balance requires it.

Right now we let the Zombie player(s) choose as many additions as they want and then the Heroes choose.

Come to think of it, the Zombie's could secretly choose first and then simply announce the dot totals to the Heroes for their choices. Good suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Kernel
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all your answers...

First of all, I know it isnt a "strategic war simulation" blush and we really appreciate this game for its theme, but we also see the game as very balanced and our experience is that all the rules have been well thought out before they were released. For us (competitive as we are) it is important to know who chooses the rules first, as this sets how many dots the other side can choose for... In our experience it can really alter the game if there is the gas station and wellstocked buildings for the "Burn it to the Ground" scenario, as well as Zombie Pillage can change a game where the heroes are defending. For us, it is as much a part of the game, as discussing whether Johnny should rip those zombies apart to save Jenny, or search for the gasoline instead.

That said, we are geeks and really geeky about our boardgames so I thought it would be nice to know what your thoughts was on who choose the rules first, and especially get an official answer (even if it is: we dont care, do whatever gives you the thrills!).

Thank you all for your answers, I really like the idea that we flip a coin, and choose the rules secretly, else we will continue with letting the zombies choose first and then the heroes afterwards.

Cheerio,
A

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.