Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it's a silly idea that undermines the balance of the game.. You tell me!

Anyway... Let's say that apart from normal trade with bank, each player could once per turn attempt a "special bargain deal" with bank. If he chooses to do so, he selects any number of resource cards in his hand (not necessary of the same type) and "offers" them to the bank. After that a die is rolled. If the die result is greater than the number of cards offered, than no deal is made and the cards are returned to the player. If not - the deal goes through and the player receives any resource card from the bank in exchange.

That basically is my idea. This trading variant may be especially useful in two player games where trading between players is not reasonable. Besides, to makes things tenser the current leader may receive +1 to his die roll while the underdogs may receive -1.

I'd like to hear your opinions.

(Edited for grammar)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gijs Bouwman
Netherlands
Bussum
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a pretty good idea. I would definitly use this in a two player game. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good. I think the mechanic is backwards though. I can offer any mix of say, 4 cards, and potentially receive 1 card back?

If I interpreted that correctly, it's good, because you can mix and match, instead of 4 identical to 1.... but, the more cards you offer, the less chance you have of successfully dealing.

So where is the incentive to offer more than one card? So, if I'm trying to trade 3 to one, or 4 to one, it should be that if the die is lower than the amount of cards, I succeed.... increasing my chances with the more cards I offer.

Or did I misunderstand. Do you get 1 card back for every card you offered? In which case you have it just right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback to everyone!

Holmes108 wrote:

So where is the incentive to offer more than one card? So, if I'm trying to trade 3 to one, or 4 to one, it should be that if the die is lower than the amount of cards, I succeed.... increasing my chances with the more cards I offer.

Or did I misunderstand. Do you get 1 card back for every card you offered? In which case you have it just right.

Maybe I did not phrase it clearly enough. But this works exactly as you say - the more cards you offer, the more chances you have of making a successful deal:

magnitt wrote:
If the die result is greater than the number of cards offered, than no deal is made and the cards are returned to the player. If not - the deal goes through and the player receives any resource card from the bank in exchange.

And no matter how many cards you gave away, you always receive just one card in return.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leber
Canada
Orillia
ON
flag msg tools
Yin
badge
Yang
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, you were right the first time. I misread it, sorry. It's early Friday morning. My math isn't quite there yet.

I like the variant though. You could make all kinds of custom rules too, based on your gaming group, or the skill level.... like only the person in last place can do this. Or if you haven't collected in X amount of turns.... Or the idea of bonuses and negative too, just like you said. (that's probably the best idea).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick R.
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the concept, what you could possibly do as well is have one of the 3:1 ports be a special port that would increase your probability for a successful special trade. For example they would get -1 to the dice roll.

Another variant on your initial concept would be to have there be some risk involved in doing this. For example if you were unsuccessful on rolling the dice you would lose half of the cards you proposed in the special trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.