Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend, I am going to play Battlestations with my group for the first time. It appears there will be more players than one life support module will support. The rules say that they can swap in another life support module to accommodate more players, but I am interested to hear from those who have played...will losing whatever module they take out make the first mission much more difficult for a new group? Any recommendations on the best module to swap out?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Carol Stream
Illinois
flag msg tools
Casual Gamer
badge
You'll get over it.
mbmbmbmbmb
This all depends.

Will it make a difference? Yes in that without enough life support, players will be at a severe disadvantage. Otherwise it shouldn't.

That's the simple answer, the fact is the effect more life support vs. other modules has is really determined by the Game Master, (GM). Each mission will determine what is best 'left behind'. Players can alter their ship between missions, so after their briefing they can decide what to bring. If they are going on an attack mission, they will want their cannons and missiles but probably no cargo. If their going on a research/ recovery mission cargo may be more valuable than that extra cannon.

Just remember the minimum modules any ship is required to have, Helm, Engine, Hyperdrive, Life Support.

It's difficult to say what exactly you may or may not need without knowing the scenario your running, but after experiencing a few, you'll easily get the hang of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Camelorn
Germany
Koblenz
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would give them a bigger ship, or allow them to use an upgraded Life Support. If this is really only a one time situation, i would even think about giving them a super-duper Life Support this once, that supports 6 lifeforms.

SurrenderMonkey wrote:

Now for a little warning: I feel it was a mistake for me to attempt my first session with such a large group. Most of my players were bored or frustrated and one or two of them received a lasting negative impression of the game due mainly to my inexperience. Your ability to run the game will improve a lot over the first few sessions, and you may find it difficult to keep it running smoothly at first.

I agree totally! I planned to gm my first mission with four players, but only two showed up: That was a blessing! The following mission those two players could help me to tutor the additional players. In hindsight, that is a good plan: Start with only about two enthusiastic players, who will each control 2 crew on a simple mission (i like Bootcamp for that, as it forces the use of nearly everey aspect of the game). The following one or two missions ramp up the number of players to full size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Osborn
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for all of the advice. It was all very informative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Siadek
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Good advice all.

I want to emphasize the following:

1. Keep it moving. If you don't know a rule, guess (you'll probably be right) and look it up later. Most of the difficulties are 8 or 11 and stuff is intuitive.

2. Go with a simple mission for your first one. At conventions, I want to showcase the integration of boarding and ship to ship action but Showdown is a good one for just putting an enemy there to duke it out.

3. A size 6 ship is a better choice for a larger number of players. If you cram too many people on a size 5, they run out of modules to use.

Jeff Siadek
Designer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.