Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Koblinsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The Woman Who Lives in the Sun by Kenojuak Ashevak
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anyone have an opinion on how many dice an attacker must roll? In other words, according to the rules, (or perhaps it would have to be a house rule) would it be allowable to roll less attack dice than your figure is permitted?

The reason I am asking is now that I have begun to amass this plastic sickness, I have six DEATHSTALKERS. Rated quite low on the power scale, and with a somewhat ridiculous special attack. (They must roll only skulls on all three dice to get an attack that the cannot be defended against). So who ever dares to use them even in casual games?

However, the chances of rolling only skulls on two dice (or one die for that matter) is greater than three (I believe?), and the fact that the defender cannot defend, might actually make these terminator-dogs useful in certain situations. Especially if all three attacked together?

So? Any opinions?

Or do I need help, and it is more ridiculous to even be thinking about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot choose to roll fewer dice than required. The figures have been thoroughly designed and playtested so that any special attacks (as well as abilities, stats, and powers) are reflected in the point cost of the units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some instances where you might want to throw fewer attack dice, but it's not allowed. Having said that, you don't get to re-roll just because you forgot to add the +1 for height if you're ever playing against me (unless I really *want* you to re-roll, of course).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Hiesterman
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
I wish to kill you, be at rest as to that, but to kill you quietly in a snug, remote place, where you will not be able to boast of your death to anybody
badge
Caught trouser-free in open country...
mbmbmbmbmb
Although it is worth noting that some special abilities allow you to roll a variable number of dice. However this is explicitly spelled out in the special ability's description (for example, the elf wizard who can roll 1, 2, or 3 dice, and if they are all skulls he can make another attack)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Owen
United States
Norwich
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
karlhiesterman wrote:
Although it is worth noting that some special abilities allow you to roll a variable number of dice. However this is explicitly spelled out in the special ability's description (for example, the elf wizard who can roll 1, 2, or 3 dice, and if they are all skulls he can make another attack)

Which shows implicitly that you otherwise must roll all your dice when you attack, otherwise there would be no need to specify that the elf wizard can throw 1, 2 or 3 dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Roberts

Unspecified
msg tools
Quote:
now that I have begun to amass this plastic sickness

Play more...
Seriously. Don't be quick to start houseruling before you have played the game a fair amount. It is surprisingly well balanced as it stands. Especially considering how many different unit types there are in the game, and when held up against many other games that were unable to maintain a similar balance with far fewer unit types. HS is a solid design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Koblinsky
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
The Woman Who Lives in the Sun by Kenojuak Ashevak
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you all. I will not think of tinkering, until further down the road.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Paul
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stage one. It's just a game, I only need the mastersets, and maybe a few boosters.

Stage two. The plastic sickness. Must own it all.

Stage three. The crack addiction. Must own multiples of all.

Stage four. The modifications and tinkering begin. Just changing abilities, a little, that's all.

Stage five. Full customization and brand new models. Heck, even terrain (battering rams, anyone)

Yeah, I'm firmly at stage four. At first I thought I would never go there, the system is great. But, in a friendly game, we already _subtly_ change some of the C and D rated figures

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6171

BTW, there is even an "official" group of 'scapers looking to provide playtested mods of these units

http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26867

I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.