Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the things I find with most gamers is that in addition to social play, they also play solo a lot for various reasons, and those with large collections tend to fiddle with the games as much as play them. Both of these would seem to be introverted characteristics in spite of any regular schedule of social gaming. Any way to work this aspect into your study?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only answered the survey once, but, FWIW, we're a family of 3 social gamers, all of whom are INTJs.

What's the theory underlying your hypothesis? (Introverted people are most comfortable in social situations when they have a kind of script? I know I'm quite comfortable talking in a seminar, lecture hall, political meeting, jury room, etc., but my idea of hell is a cocktail party.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting project - I look forward to seeing how rounded the BGG community is across the different personality types.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Don't hang around, 'cause two's a crowd on my cloud, baby.
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a curious hypothesis. I'd have thought the opposite myself.

I'm an INFP and do not consider myself a social gamer (though I'm very fond of board games)--so of course I didn't "vote" in the poll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
If I were to hang my head, I'd miss all the rainbows. And I'd drown in raindrops instead.
mbmbmbmbmb
athmok wrote:
I am trying to identify an anomoly in regards to personality types that are associated with less social interaction within the scope of gaming. I do need more data from other surveys and have an alternate hypothesis in mind as well. The alternate deals with the relationships that people have with their gaming partners. Are they close relationships? Are they mostly complete strangers?

Those are some interesting thoughts. Bear in mind that you're polling people online, and that the online environment itself is likely to be favored by certain kinds of people (mainly people with I or N in their four-letter code, I believe).

I find that some of the most verbose people online (myself among them) are also some of the most introverted--very reserved or solitary IRL.

I guess I'm saying that if you polled people live at a convention, you might get a different result--maybe more extraverts calling themselves social gamers, and more people with a Sensing preference who've come to actually play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corbin Parker
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
When it comes to relationships with gaming partners, all of mine are close friends. This certainly gets in the way of gaming sometimes, because someone making a sad face can make being cut-throat very difficult. A lot of the time I wish I could play with strangers so I wasn't so compelled to be "nice" when there is a more strategic option.

Also, when I am teaching a game, I will sometimes try to not do so well the first game we play because I don't want the people I am teaching to not like the game because they lost (I have seen this happen, and it is rather sad). I feel that players are more likely to like a game if A) They do better than than the instructor first game because it's a boost of confidence, and B)if they didn't get last! I have seen many wonderful games get bad reviews from people because they messed up first turn and were behind for the rest of the game. Sad day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
McDog
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I consider myself a social gamer and I came out INFJ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We game with family and friends primarily. And the notable exception to that rule was an E-something who barged her way into our lives and whom we instantly adopted!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not the best idea to tell us your hypothesis before we vote in a poll to test your hypothesis.

INTJ here.

Edit: When playing with a group I'm more interested in the social aspect; when playing with just my wife it's all about winning.

Edit: I just took the test you posted and it said I'm an ISTJ (by a pretty big margin). That makes a lot more sense to me than INTJ. I'll assume I screwed up the first time I took it because I was a confused college freshman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, this poll (with 2454 respondents) was done before:

http://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/43021/who-the-hell-are-you...

Edit: but not with people who necessarily identified themselves as "social" gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ENFJ

I despise Myers-Briggs and reject that it can possibly be an accurate and useful tool for the evaluation of human beings in any capacity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Meyer
United Kingdom
Crawley
West Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
ENFJ

I despise Myers-Briggs and reject that it can possibly be an accurate and useful tool for the evaluation of human beings in any capacity.

ALL ENFJ's say that

That's what makes it so accurate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: Blast, too late

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
Neilandlauras wrote:

ALL ENFJ's say that

I have now taken this sort of test over 20 times in my life.

I think I've gotten about 8 different results. I know that I've never gotten the same result twice taking the same test twice on two different days.

It's crap. It's always been crap. It always will be. It is a slightly varnished version of astrology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mal Content
United States
Caln Township
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Neilandlauras wrote:

ALL ENFJ's say that

I think I've gotten about 8 different results. I know that I've never gotten the same result twice taking the same test twice on two different days.

It's crap. It's always been crap. It always will be. It is a slightly varnished version of astrology.

I have taken this sort of test over 20 times in the course of over 20 years, and I always end up with the same result. But then, being an ISTJ, consistency is the hallmark of my personality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Gilbert
United States
Salisbury
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like many gamers I work in IT (there's another study for you). A few years ago the B-M test (no snickering) was given to my companies IT. What shocked me was particular types tended to clump in particular areas of IT. For example all the network/CISCO guys were one type and all the Windows server guys were another type.

My point is as has already been mentioned, you would probably find patterns in the type of games you play. Miniatures vs Roleplaying vs Euro vs Gamers who attend conventions, etc.

Good luck and please let us know what you conclude. I truly find patterns of behavior in the gaming community fascinating.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Olin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ENFP here. I guess I'm not introverted. Much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Neilandlauras wrote:

ALL ENFJ's say that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Jome
United States
Franklin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
You can claim I am doing it wrong all you like, but my answers change. Today, I don't like people. Tomorrow, I like people. Mood greatly influences the outcome of the result... moods change. People change over time.

The idea that you can sum up humans in 4 letters is preposterous in the extreme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Migas
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
athmok wrote:

I figured I would use BGG as most of us here represent the collective boardgame hobby.

This is not true. Normal BGG users are the extreme in the board game hobby. 90% of the people I game with regularly do not visit the BGG. I also point to the fact that Agricola is ranked #1. Normal people who play games would not rank Agricola this high. It is not accessible to enough many gamers. I think you need to be very specific on how you define your representative community in your report.

If you have a survey available I might be willing to post something in my FLGS on game nights. There are normally 50-70 people who show up every 2nd Friday of the month to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Cooper
United States
Indiana
PA
flag msg tools
badge
Expand your gaming!
mbmbmbmbmb
For what my opinion is worth, I commend you for undertaking such a study. Nearly all if not all studies are subject to a host of validity and reliability threats, whatever the instrument or sample. Those associated with your own study (which, if I understand correctly is part of an undergraduate curriculum and not part of a fully developed scientific study, so any external validity issues are of small consequence, imho - this being said, I think it's good and important that folks are pointing these things out) notwithstanding, I think using BGG as a pool for your sample in order to explore an interesting research question is a cool idea and smart use of your resources. Kudos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cosine wrote:
Neilandlauras wrote:

ALL ENFJ's say that

Sounds like an off-the-cuff version of what it says here in the Skeptic's Dictionary.

I've been into this stuff awhile, and I can understand the skepticism. But I'll just mention two things:

1. The vast majority of questionnaires that purport to uncover your personality type are crap. The worst are the free online "tests." You really need to read up on the theory and take time to do some serious self-assessment in order to get it right. Most people are not good at that, so they'd benefit from working with a trained practitioner.

2. The association with astrology is not entirely baseless. My guess is that Carl Jung himself consciously or unconsciously wove some basic astrological concepts into his hypotheses (and that's all they were; he never tried to make it into a personality-typing theory). But I'm not convinced that astrology is all bunk; there may be something to that too. (We modern people can't imagine what stars and planets could possibly have to do with human personality, of course. But there's probably a lot to reality that we can't yet imagine--a lot that science has barely scratched the surface of.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I am putting the community on the spot, because I was pretty much laughed at for this study. I was told that I would not be able to find at least 30 samples from people who play boardgames regularly. They have never heard of this website.

They laughed at me! They said I was MAD! BUT I'LL SHOW THEM! I'LL SHOW THEM ALL! MUA-HA-HA-HA-HA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Myers-Briggs may be imperfect - *any* system of categorizing personalities is imperfect - but if you are going to attempt to make scientific quantitative studies of human behavior you have to have *some* discrete way to group people. Now, you can make the argument that qualitative studies of human behavior are fundamentally impossible if you like, but if you're going to try them, you're going to need Meyers-Briggs or something like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.