Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, yeah. (Ya know, i think I've been starting a lot of posts like that lately...)

So, yeah.

On the way to work this morning. It's Friday, probably going to be a good day, birds are chirping at the feeder, coffee is good, just generally a good day. I find myself humming to myself on my way in to my desk. Snow is pretty out the window, under a pretty blue sky with occasional white puffies scattered there purely for dramatic effect I'm sure. Just a good day.

Get an email from my boss. Well, technically, my boss's boss's boss. The big guy.

I had previously emailed him requesting some information. yeah, I know - you don't normally email guys this big directly... in this case, it's considering some info on a potential promotion for me. The big boss had expressed interest in doing (direct quote) "whatever he could to help get me promoted", and he is the only person who can get the preliminary results for me (they are only released to folks at his level). So I emailed him asking politely if he could get shoot a quick email or make a quick phone call, as I'm very interested in the results.

Big boss replies to me, copied to my boss and my boss's boss. Not great results on the promotion thing (not terrible either, but had been hoping for a top-tier recommendation and got just a general recommendation), with a note about I should have received that info through my other bosses. Phone call about 5 minutes later from my boss's boss, saying that he told me this information already (he didn't, but he thinks he did) and that I should have talked to him first, etc etc. Pretty unhappy with me for even asking the question of the big guy. (you know, a peon of my level - what was I thinking requesting audience with the Great and Powerful Wizard?? He doesn't see anyone, no-way, no-how!)

(And, yes, I do know how to use my chain of command, and I do recognize that normally you don't go straight to the top for info. The thing is, the Big Guy was the only one who could do this for me, and had told me that he would... :sigh: )

So we've managed to destroy my mood today. Promotion probably a long shot, bosses unhappy, and me left feeling pretty #$&* unappreciated.

Other than venting on Chit Chat (thanks!), how do YOU recover or rebuild a good mood?

At least it's still friday...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
http://atroublewithwords.com/
mbmbmbmbmb
This too Shall Pass?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffreyac wrote:

how do YOU recover or rebuild a good mood?

Well........laughter works for me!!!

This might just do the trick!!!

kiss

Vent away Jeff!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I feel angry, I stop being angry, and be awesome instead.

True story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots of vodka, with strawberry and condensed milk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
mbmbmbmbmb
If I worked at a place where the big boss got mad because I asked him something directly, I'd not care about being promoted, but about looking for a place that isn't run like an army.

I can, and I have, bypassed multiple levels of hierarchy when it was warranted, and never had any trouble whatsoever. The top of the hierarchy calls me into meetings when they know that I am the ultimate source for the information they need.

Don't fret about what you did. Instead, wonder why what you did was considered so harmful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A white russian with strawberries?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pakpreo
United States
Cambridge
MA - Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's office politics. Some people will always feel more self-entitled than others and will try to make their authority known. It's like they want to feel like they exist so they try to do things that are completely stupid or pointless. I wouldn't worry about it too much. I just like to think that those people will get sucked into a black hole in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG your mood is drowning....

Here´s to the rescue....

What, you expect me to put any of the girls....
Think again buster, your not the only one having a bad Friday...

Oh wait its Friday....

WEEKEND COMING....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Rappak wrote:
A white russian with strawberries?

It is calle caiproska, a blended drink of vodka, condensed milk, ice and some fruit. I like with strawberries and blueberries. Passion fruit is amazing too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hammock Backpacker
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Hot Coffee...Mmmmmm
badge
Go Take A HIke!
mbmbmbmbmb
The J wrote:
cold_fuzion wrote:

True story.

You are enabling!! This is how you learned to be angry . . . because it leads to awesome!

Break the cycle, just say no.

Why wait until you're angry? Be the awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:

True story.
That's awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man I got beat to the Hasselhoff.

Oh well, I'll post this anyway:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Abreu
Portugal
flag msg tools
MAISON ABREU: Lair of Abreu, you know, that guy below. Do not mistake this for other Maisons or Houses or even Abreus.
badge
I do look good on this chair, dont I?
mbmbmbmbmb
The J wrote:
sisteray wrote:
Oh man I got beat to the Hasselhoff.

Oh well, I'll post this anyway:

OMG! Now I need my good mood rescued! laugh

Here we go again....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
If I worked at a place where the big boss got mad because I asked him something directly, I'd not care about being promoted, but about looking for a place that isn't run like an army.

I perhaps should have mentioned that, though I'm currently assigned to a civilian office as a liaison officer, I'm actually active duty military...

...so it is kinda run like an army....

Thanks for the positive comments! I love Chit Chat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Lott
United States
Mason
Michigan
flag msg tools
Being a Lions fan is a gift...
badge
...and a curse.
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out my most recent geeklist. If you read carefully, this stuff is comedy gold!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ookami Snow
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, something that always brings a smile to my face:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Your thoughts control your feelings.

Yes, they do. Most people think their feelings just happen and then your feelings dictate your thoughts. Wrong! You conscious mind can direct your subconscious. If you use positive affirmations, you will change your feelings.

Say, out loud, "I decide to be happy". You will feel better, happier. You should use positive words, not double negatives, like "I am not being sad." Your subconscious ignores the 'not' and focusses on the 'sad'.

I decide to be calm.

I decide to be happy.

I deserve love and respect.

I love myself.

I deserve good health.

Use affirmations, and you will feel better.

Another good action is to use Cognitive Court. Imagine a high court, judge, jury, prosecution counsel and so on. Picture it all in your mind and make it vivid, make it real. Now put the bad thought in the dock.

"My boss is angry at me because I went over his head. I've done a bad thing."

Now picture yourself as the counsel for the defence. Start challenging the bad thought like it's a court case. As defence counsel, you can rip holes in bad thought's claims.

Was it really a bad thing, since the Big Boss did say Jeff could call. "Yeah but, now Boss looks stupid. Jeff made Boss look stupid by implying he hadn't had the information." Well, did Boss actually pass on the information that he should have? "No, right, he didn't, but" But Boss should have passed it on, shouldn't he and he didn't, did he? So my client Jeff was quite entitled to ask the Big Boss, wasn't he? "Yeah, but " And didn't the Big Boss tell my client that he could call on him? We have the evidence here [shows court the video of the Big Boss "Jeff, listen, if you want, I can get the promo info for you early on, OK? Just give me a bell if you want it."] There, you can see the Big Boss wasn't concerned if the Boss looked bad or not, he just wanted to help Jeff. Isn't that the true picture?

And so on. Keep knocking the Bad Thought's arguments down, and pretty soon Jeff will be walking out a free man. Cognitive Court works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
You know . . . I read these words, and then I see Scrib's avatar . . . and there's this cognitive dissonance goin' on.

Well, firstly, that's MY avatar and secondly, I'm waiting for
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to dolly up my new one...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I decide to be calm.

I decide to be happy.

I love myself.

I deserve good health.

You know . . . I read these words, and then I see Scrib's avatar . . . and there's this cognitive dissonance goin' on.
So you don't think that Jon can be happy, in love with himself, and deserving of respect and health as he blows your head off?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wmshub wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
I decide to be calm.

I decide to be happy.

I love myself.

I deserve good health.

So you don't think that Jon can be happy, in love with himself, and deserving of respect and health as he blows your head off?

FTFY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EYE of NiGHT wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:

Well, firstly, that's MY avatar and secondly, I'm waiting for
Justin Morse
United States
Falmouth
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to dolly up my new one...

Dang! I knew there was something (else) I was supposed to be doing!
I'll try to get that to you on Monday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.